Columbia Accidental Acceptance???

Kamari

I didn't see this posted here so I thought I'd make mention of it. I posted about Columbia University weeks ago but my major is pretty specific and I don't believe of the people who viewed it that anyone else applied to the same program (which it totally cool). Anyway; I was reading an article the other day about Columbia sending out 276 Acceptance letters to their prospective graduate students that applied to the Mailman School of Public Health on their campus... only to receive an email an hour later saying "Oops... this was an error" which totally made my heart hurt. I'm over here stressing because I haven't heard anything but could you imagine that golden ticket email just to have it swiped from your hands!? :(

Edit: I didn't apply to the program so I'm not nearly as heavily effected as some of my friends who did, I just thought the story was interesting (and... pretty disheartening).

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well. I'll link the article. 

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/nyregion/columbia-grad-school-acceptance-letters.html

Edited by Kamari

That happened to my best friend a few years ago. Applied to to a school, got an 'accidental acceptance' letter, the school waited a full TWO WEEKS to issue a correction. It broke their poor little heart. The fact that this happens at all makes me so nervous about any offer I get too... talk about fuel for impostor syndrome. Hang in there team.  

2 WEEKS????? Oh man... That's just cruel. Hope it turned out well for your friend in the end.

15 hours ago, _sawyer_ said:

That happened to my best friend a few years ago. Applied to to a school, got an 'accidental acceptance' letter, the school waited a full TWO WEEKS to issue a correction. It broke their poor little heart. The fact that this happens at all makes me so nervous about any offer I get too... talk about fuel for impostor syndrome. Hang in there team.  

On 2/24/2017 at 0:37 AM, DBear said:

2 WEEKS????? Oh man... That's just cruel. Hope it turned out well for your friend in the end.

Well they did not end up going to grad school, but that was for the best. They have a great career now in the film industry. Everything works out in the end.... we hope!