Is it helpful/acceptable to ask for a TA position in this situation?

HiFiWiFi

I am going to a terminal Master's program in the Fall. Stats on the program's page show that 7% of students (5 students) in the program (making no mention of if those are first, second, or third year students) receive an assistantship. I want a TAship for many reasons. I hope to teach some day, I was a TA (in what way I could be, mostly doing office work but sometimes helping in courses) in undergrad, and this program's assistantships come with tuition remission and health insurance, which I need in order to make this program affordable.

This program has no requirement for an interview or POI (meaning I have no rapport with anyone yet) and all students are automatically considered for all aid. Do I wait and see, or would it be alright or advisable to reach out and discuss my desire to teach? I don't want to seem like I'm asking for special consideration over other students, but I feel like my combination of interest, need, and experience make me a prime candidate for an assistantship and I want to be sure I put my best foot forward to get one. I talked about my desire to teach in my SOP, and my LORs all came from people I TA'd for so they undoubtedly know I have a background. Should I just wait it out?

On 2/20/2017 at 11:14 PM, HiFiWiFi said:

. Do I wait and see, or would it be alright or advisable to reach out and discuss my desire to teach?  Should I just wait it out?

I recommend that you wait and see/wait it out. By indicating your preference, you may talk yourself out of contention for a fellowship. Moreover, the first year might end up being difficult transition that requires your full attention. In this case, your previous experience as a t.a. may not be as big of an advantage during your first year of graduate school as it may be your second and third years. Finally, your commitment to teaching may be contrary to the sensibilities of the Powers That Be in your program.(Such is often the case in the humanities.)