Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Brooklyn has updated their site so you should be able to check your status- I don't believe they've accepted or rejected yet, but they are starting to go through admission packets.

I haven't heard a final yes or no from UCSD, but interviewed a few weeks ago. I think they do one interview a week for three or four weeks, so I'm not sure if they've sent out acceptances yet. If they have, I should know within a day or so!

-Rob

Edited by rizzorob

Hey All,

Just wanted to give some info to people who applied to Northwestern - I actually attended NU and completed my MFA in Writing for the Screen and Stage. Loved the program, and highly recommend it if you have an interest in all three dramatic mediums (theatre, film, Tv).

I am currently an applicant for Juilliard's playwriting program, and crossing my fingers! If anyone hears anything, please post! Could not make the playlabs as I am not in NY at the moment, and I attended one when I applied to Juilliard previously (2 years ago).

Thanks!

Edited by Leilani

Hey all! Just joined- I've been hanging out at various MFA websites, which are great for poetry and fiction, but not so great for dramatic writing. Wonderful information on certain programs, but I rarely see other playwrights.

Anyway, I got into UT Michener on the eighth- same day they notified all the fellows, and all the waitlisted. I'm completely shocked, and so ready to start the phase of my life where I actually write, and no longer do data entry. For those going round next year, they always notify by around the 10th of March, and don't seem to do interviews, and don't always notify finalists. They also do a rolling, round-by-round rejection process.

Also, fyi, if you are feeling bad about striking out this year, this is my third round (second for Michener).,and my first hit. Biggest difference between successful and unsuccessful rounds? Writing a better play. That's really the shape of it. Nothing else matters even a little bit as much. I only applied to Michener this year, so I don't have anything to give y'all on other programs. If anyone has other application process questions I can totally try to help- I know I felt totally lost the first time.

If you guys need more info on MFAs, here are some great sites. They don't focus on playwriting programs, but for the many programs that are located in in the creative writing department, these resources will provide application responses and long-running arguments about funding.

general resource- it might help in finding some more obscure programs that have full funding.

http://creative-writing-mfa-handbook.blogspot.com/

The place to go for response times:

http://sethabramson.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-cw-mamfaphd-application-responses.html?commentPage=4

And for CONSTANT activity, MFA Draft '11 on Facebook.

Much Love,

TOL

I heard from NYU. I was rejected from the program in NYC but was asked if I'd like to be considered for the same program at their Singapore campus. Did this happen to anyone else? I also received an "Application Acknowledgement" from New School yesterday, which seemed a little strange since I submitted my application in early January :) Still no word from Yale, Columbia or Hunter. This is my first time applying, so I'm assuming that I'm not going to get in anywhere, but still, rejection doesn't feel good.

Hi everyone! I also think that Columbia acceptances may have gone out. I just got an email notifying me of acceptance. Does anyone have an opinion of which is better-- NYU or Columbia? I went to NYU for undergrad. and now I'm not sure where to go.

Are those the two schools you're choosing between? What are you looking for in a program?

Hi everyone! I also think that Columbia acceptances may have gone out. I just got an email notifying me of acceptance. Does anyone have an opinion of which is better-- NYU or Columbia? I went to NYU for undergrad. and now I'm not sure where to go.

Congratulations to everyone who got acceptances! That's fantastic and exciting.

I still haven't heard from several schools - am I just deluding myself that I could still get good news?

I'm waiting on Brooklyn, Hunter, Iowa and Ohio. Anyone else out there waiting?

Hey, all! First post...

I was accepted at NYU with a departmental fellowship (huzzah!) for Dramatic Writing. I was notified on 3/11. I was also accepted to their Musical Theatre Writing MFA program (3/14), but I've yet to receive the official acceptance packet from Tisch (just notification from the department).

Rejected from Brown, interviewed with The New School (not terribly impressed).

Waiting for notification of acceptance/rejection:

Yale

New School

Northwestern

SCAD

I called Yale today since, as others have pointed out, the projected interview dates they gave were late Feb/early March. I was informed that all letters were mailed out last week. Hope this helps anyone else who might be sitting on pins and needles in anticipation.

Does anyone know if Yale accepts without interviewing? I was not invited to interview, but I've heard stories (from close to a decade ago, granted) of applicants being accepted sans interview.

Best of luck to all!

-Jon

Edited by BlindDog

COMPLETELY agree about the new school. So disorganized. And the application process feels like a reality tv show. I think they are trying to make their program feel very exclusive by admitting such a small number of people, but in reality it is a very small program that hasn't really produced anyone noteworthy. I don't have to do applications again, but if i didn't I certainly wouldnt apply there. Just venting.

Hey guys....

Congrats on the acceptances. Just thought I'd let you guys know that I received the dreaded small envelope from Yale today. Keeping fingers crossed for something else.

Me too, Zissou. Hope someone else got in!

This is my third year applying to playwriting MFAs and it's hard not to get discouraged.

Hey guys....

Congrats on the acceptances. Just thought I'd let you guys know that I received the dreaded small envelope from Yale today. Keeping fingers crossed for something else.

Me, three! I also heard from Brooklyn college and didn't make it in.

Feeling pretty bummed about it, still waiting on Iowa, Hunter and Ohio.

Fingers crossed.

This process feels very disheartening, but trying to stay positive. I guess

it may take several years.

Continued good luck to everyone!

Hunter's deadline was the 15th, so it'll probably be a while before we here anything from them. Though if they have been reviewing applications as they come in, it would be nice if they would cut the people they know they will reject loose!

I've got an acceptance, but holy hell figuring out how to pay for school is a nightmare!