Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hey all, got a mass email from Juilliard today announcing that Christopher Durang is retiring from the program : (

I assume everyone who applied is getting this email, but in case anyone missed it the bottom part states, "Please note that we are still in the midst of the first round of readings and do not expect to make decisions regarding which plays will move on to the next round until next month. We received nearly 300 submissions this year and that requires us to take a few more weeks to read the plays before making determinations. We will do our best to provide you with an update to your admission status as soon as possible; however, we also wish to give every play submission the complete and careful consideration that it deserves. All applicants will receive notification of their status via email as soon as determinations are made."

Congrats, @Boxedwine! That's so exciting! I know how you feel re writing motivation, oy. Limbo is the worst. 

@jamesprongs101, thank you for your encouragement! I'm just sending all the good vibes and hopes that everyone who got into UCSD and UT also gets into Iowa, CMU, Juilliard, in off waitlists at Yale and Brown, etc. They get to go where they really want to be! Everyone gets what she/he/ze wants! Hooray! :-)

Just realized I received a Yale rejection in February but was never sent an email. It was complimentary compared to last year's for whatever it's worth - not sure if it's a boilerplate rejection or not. 

Anyway, Indiana is still up in the air. Those applying next year, I recommend you check out the head and his writing. If you're looking for a program that allows you to teach right off the bat with a lot of one on one time... maybe it's worth a look. 

Edited by SeaLou

Waiting on one school, looks like I'll be doing it again next year then taking a break if it doesn't work out. Maybe a smaller pool next year. 

Regardless, congratulations to everyone going where they want to. 

I'm right there with you @SeaLou  I just turned down Columbia for lack of funding. 

How many years do you think is too many years to apply?  Because I'm a little embarrassed to admit what round this will be for me.  At what point should I take it as a sign I'm never going to get into one of those fully funded programs?

Hey all. Hope everyone's well. A few updates on my end:

Rutgers: rejected, no interview, impersonal form letter

Brooklyn: rejected with a form email that encourages people to apply again

Juilliard: no word yet

U of Guelph (in Toronto): accepted with partial funding; I declined the offer eventually

Carnegie Mellon: I interviewed with Rob Handel yesterday via Skype. I'm at or near the top of the wait list. As of yesterday 6 offers had been made, and of those, one person hadn't yet accepted. He said I'd hear back this coming week.

NYU-Tisch: accepted.

Ohio: accepted.

Weighing the merits of NYU and Ohio has been PAINSTAKING. I've yet to make a final decision -- waiting for Ohio's formal offer letter and also for NYU to see how much more money they can scare up. The two programs couldn't be more opposite, and I've spent a great deal of this past week talking with people and trying to gather info/anecdotal evidence. I visited Ohio, and had a fucking fantastic time there, despite my nerves. I met both Charles and Erik, all of the current grad students, got a tour of the theatre building/facilities and the town (which is surprisingly charming), attended several rehearsals, interviewed with a theatre historian I'd potentially TA for, and saw Midnight Madness (some great writing!). It's a very warm community and a really well-put-together program that seems to really dignify and nurture its students. The faculty are incredibly warm and open. I'll be making my decision soon.

Good luck to anyone who's still waiting for news. I hope the coming months bring lots of creative energy to all. (If anyone has further questions about my experiences with Ohio, NYU, etc., feel free to PM.)

@jnp809

Getting into Columbia is great and you should be proud. This coming application season will be my third and if it doesn't shake out, I'll take a break. I've found writing while preparing for applications messes with my writing sense - I almost end up writing with a goal in mind instead of writing because it makes me happy. 

To you, I'd say... keep doing it and don't give up, but also maybe a year off would help? Maybe you'll discover things, both personally and in your work? Who knows? 

@newengland1

I know one of the playwrights who goes to Ohio. I've heard only positive things. Let us know where the wind takes you. Glad to hear you have options 

Thanks @SeaLou  The next application cycle will be round number 4 for me.  I'm really excited about the play I'm working on now so I think I'm going to give it one more shot.  But I totally here you on writing towards a goal rather than for yourself.  I will definitely take a year off if I don't get in on the next cycle.

Does anyone know much about the Rutgers MFA program? Kathleen Tolan just reached out to me per Naomi Iizuka's rec and I don't know anything about the program at all.

Hey all ? 

I am brand new to this community. I caught up quickly and am excited to join in on the fun. Y'all are so supportive and encouraging, it's exactly what I've been needing through this crazy journey. 

My ticket:

UTA- Michener & TD: denied, email telling me to view my "updated status," which led to a formal rejection letter via website

Brown- denied, email; kind and some what complimentary. 

UCSD- denied.

Boston University- Wait-listed! Received a very encouraging email from, Kate Snodgrass about my wait-list status, before receving the formal email from BU. Now awaiting anxiously to know if this will lead to acceptance. 

@draconianstars, congrats on your wait list  status too!!! I was wondering what your communication has been like since receiving the news? Also, did you receive the same email from Kate? Trying to determine if it was personal or not...

Cheers to each one of you who were brave enough to put yourself out there and apply this semester! Best wishes to us all in the final stretch of this year's application journey! 

<3

@lrb0192 I don't know anything about the program.  But I remember someone else saying that they were in the same situation a previous year.  Maybe search through this topic for info.

Also did anyone else get this e-mail from Juilliard:

Thank you for your patience in waiting for an update on your application status from The Juilliard School. We are pleased to report that at this time, your play is still under consideration. Admission will ultimately be offered to four or five playwrights. It is possible that you may receive a request for an interview during the next six weeks. You may also be asked to submit an additional play or additional letters of recommendation. However, you do not need to submit any additional materials until requested. If you have made significant changes to the play submitted with your application and would like us to consider the revised version, please email a blind copy to dramaadmissions@juilliard.edu by Monday, April 25.

We expect to make final determinations by the beginning of June. We will keep you updated as the admissions process continues, as soon as we have any new information to report. We thank you again for your patience with our process!

I'm excited by the chance to submit a new version of the script because I have a drastically expanded version, 3 characters instead of 2, that I think is way better.  I'm just trying to figure out if this is a good sign or if everyone got this e-mail.

3 hours ago, jnp809 said:

@lrb0192 I don't know anything about the program.  But I remember someone else saying that they were in the same situation a previous year.  Maybe search through this topic for info.

Also did anyone else get this e-mail from Juilliard:

Thank you for your patience in waiting for an update on your application status from The Juilliard School. We are pleased to report that at this time, your play is still under consideration. Admission will ultimately be offered to four or five playwrights. It is possible that you may receive a request for an interview during the next six weeks. You may also be asked to submit an additional play or additional letters of recommendation. However, you do not need to submit any additional materials until requested. If you have made significant changes to the play submitted with your application and would like us to consider the revised version, please email a blind copy to dramaadmissions@juilliard.edu by Monday, April 25.

We expect to make final determinations by the beginning of June. We will keep you updated as the admissions process continues, as soon as we have any new information to report. We thank you again for your patience with our process!

I'm excited by the chance to submit a new version of the script because I have a drastically expanded version, 3 characters instead of 2, that I think is way better.  I'm just trying to figure out if this is a good sign or if everyone got this e-mail.

Yep, got the same email. Kind of exciting, yet kinda mysterious. I'm also glad I can send a revised script. Good luck @jnp809 and anyone else who got this!

little update. i accepted NYU's offer. sent a quasi-heartbroken email to charles & erik at ohio today. also was offered a spot off the waitlist at CMU last week, and turned that down as well. so, if you're waitlisted at either Carnegie Mellon or Ohio, chances are there will be some movement. sending good vibes to anyone else still waiting!

@newengland1 can i ask if you would turn down nyu for juilliard?  this is pure curiosity talking.  they are such different programs, if for no other reason that juilliard isn't actually an MFA program

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, little update. Two weeks ago, my wait-list status went to "no status," with Boston University. I was bummed but at complete peace with the news. I kept in contact with the artistic director, thanking her for her time and encouragement along the way. And then today, I got the call from Kate Snodgrass saying there was an unexpected spot opening! I am so very happy. Moral of the story, it totally helps to keep in good contact with the program even if you're waitlisted!!! 

Congratulations @guacthisway! 

Hope everyone is doing well. 

I have some somewhat related MFA news. I'm on the shortlist for the Horizon Theatre  in Atlanta's playwriting apprenticeship and have an interview with the Shakespeare Theatre Company in DC for their artistic fellow position. 

Still waiting on Southern Illinois but I've written it off for the most part. 

Again, congrats to everyone going into a program in the fall. I'd love to hear how everything shakes out.