Brown Watson MPA

PubPolPal

Starting a new thread about Brown Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs because it doesn't look like there's one on here.

Anywho I just got into their one-year MPA program starting in June. Still waiting on financing. 

Anyone else in the same boat? Truth be told, I still don't know all that much about Watson's program and how it differs from other two year programs.

Cheers!

Congrats on your admission! I applied right on the priority deadline, 2/17. I know admitted students day is in early April so I guess their turnaround time is somewhat quick, but no idea how soon I'll hear back.

• 11 months later...

Admitted with minimal funding. For anyone wondering: low GPA with an upward trend, average GRE. Strong essays, work experience and LORs. It's hard to get a good feel for a relatively new program with minimal information online, so I might head to campus for admitted students day depending on other admissions results.

5 hours ago, pickledcarrots said:

Admitted with minimal funding. For anyone wondering: low GPA with an upward trend, average GRE. Strong essays, work experience and LORs. It's hard to get a good feel for a relatively new program with minimal information online, so I might head to campus for admitted students day depending on other admissions results.

Hi! Congrats! That's great! 

What sort of funding offer did they provide you? (if you don't mind sharing the amount) And are you planning to negotiate it with them? I do agree with you on that front though- very little information available as such, especially in terms of employment prospects. Do you have any idea about those? 

Hello! :) Thanks for the kind words.

I won't say the exact amount, but I'll say it's a very, very low 4-digit number, ha. Insignificant in my decision-making, as it stands. Once I hear from other schools regarding admission and financial aid, I may try to negotiate up but my expectations are low based on the initial offer.

It's currently hovering around third place in my choice rankings, with the major selling points being that it's 1) a one-year degree and 2) a small cohort. Name recognition is tough to factor, as the program doesn't have much weight on its own when compared to HKS, SIPA, etc but the school name obviously does (I think it's important to know what industry/job you're targeting beyond the MPA to understand how this will play out - I don't foresee it being a massive issue in my case). 

You hit the nail on the head re: employment prospect information - I find that most other programs I'm applying to are pretty loud and proud about their alumni networks and career routes. Brown's network is probably just too fresh to showcase stats in this way, I imagine it's solid and will get stronger with time. A school visit + some candid chats with alumni should clarify some of these points, but I'll wait until spring to explore further. Will report back if I learn anything interesting!

Edited by pickledcarrots

Was accepted early action in late January; very happy considering it was far and away my number one choice. Also got a low financial aid package but I am fortunate enough where that is not an issue.

Shocked considering I'm straight from undergrad with a 2.87 GPA through three years of undergrad, but had a 3.5 in my major/minor which was very highly ranked and is quant heavy so maybe that helped. Also had 157/153/5.0 GRE scores on one attempt. I believe I had really strong essays and LORs that probably more than made up for my GPA, so I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity. 

If it helps at all, pickledcarrots, I've spoken to a lot of students currently in the program and they say they love the flexibility of it and they have a program where you can take an elective at Harvard GSAS. I really like the fully-funded abroad program they have and have heard great things about it. I was also told that they have tons of networking and professional databases available to them and they described it as "overwhelming" how many resources they have available for students. Also, every single club/organization is open to graduate students that is available to undergrads, which I really like. 

I held off on applying to CIPA, SIPA, and UChicago to wait to hear from Brown so I wouldn't have to spend a lot on apps and GRE score send-outs; I'd say there's a ~95% chance I attend this summer due to it being my dream school. Hope to see you at the accepted students day!

Yay, so happy to finally see people talking about Brown! I got in late January and I’m so excited. I can’t make admitted students day, but I’m going to RI in March and the faculty were kind enough to set up meetings with me while I’m there. I’ve been so impressed with how accommodating and helpful they are, and how quickly they’ve answered my million questions.

@79ajjohnson, can you clarify “fully funded” abroad program? I know about the trip in the fall, but I don’t recall reading anything about funding for it. Thanks so much!

@sarahlivia One of the current students I talked to said that their trip to Sweden was fully paid for by the program; I'm just going off of their word, but they could be wrong. I think it'd be odd if they required you to pay extra to do a mandatory part of the program.

I've also been incredibly impressed by how cordial and helpful everyone at Watson has been so far. Nearly all the faculty I reached out to during the application process responded quickly and jumped at the idea of helping me out. Needless to say it made me feel very welcome! Are you going to accept the offer?

• 2 weeks later...

I took the GRE Feb. 22, Submitted my application Feb. 23, was accepted on the 27th. Quite the turnaround time, I only applied to Brown and my home school, the University of Utah, which is insanely cheap (ultimately will likely be almost free). I was offered $12k to Brown which is a nice amount but a drop in the bucket of such a program when the U of U's total cost over two years is $25k and likely much less with scholar/fellowships, plus I'd be able to continue working. Hoping to get a lot more out of Brown as I am very excited about the program. I scored 160V/154Q/5.0, undergrad GPA in an easy major of 3.97. Decent work experience and internships in politics and other community involvement on my resume.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:09 PM, sarahlivia said:

Yay, so happy to finally see people talking about Brown! I got in late January and I’m so excited. I can’t make admitted students day, but I’m going to RI in March and the faculty were kind enough to set up meetings with me while I’m there. I’ve been so impressed with how accommodating and helpful they are, and how quickly they’ve answered my million questions.

@79ajjohnson, can you clarify “fully funded” abroad program? I know about the trip in the fall, but I don’t recall reading anything about funding for it. Thanks so much!

The overall program cost is inclusive of the global experience.

5 hours ago, pickledcarrots said:

Update from me: since receiving admission, I've had really positive correspondences with Brown around program information and financial support. I look forward to meeting on Admitted Students' Day!

did they up your financial offer after sharing other offers or something? i'm hoping to get a good offer from University of Utah that I can bargain with.

• 1 month later...

Hey Y'all, I also applied during the regular decision deadline (February 23, 2018) but have yet to hear back from them. Considering that admitted students day was last week (April 6) and according to the website the commitment to matriculate date is (April 15, THIS SUNDAY) would it be safe to assume that I did not get in? I contacted the department and they told me admin decisions are forthcoming. However, some of you applied during the same cycle and have already received a decision. Trying not to freak out! D: 

3 hours ago, nablouin said:

I applied on Feb. 23rd and received an acceptance on Feb. 27th, I'm surprised they wouldn't be more forthcoming with a decision.

Right? I thought the same thing. Guess I'll keep crossing my fingers for some (Good) news soon.  

• 3 weeks later...

So, I finally heard back from Brown. Looks like I won't be seeing you in Providence nablouin. Super bummed but willing to try again next cycle. If anyone has any tips, words of advice, they'd be graciously accepted. 

• 8 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread. 

Results page says Brown has sent out their Early Action decisions. Apparently my application was completed on 1-14 because that's when they received my GRE scores, despite ETS acknowledging my report date was November 7th. I'm crying over spilt milk at this point but has anyone else been screwed by ETS like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, didn't know if people still see this page but I just wanna ask if there's anyone knows when Brown sent out Early Decisions? I submitted my application on 12.13 but it was completed on 12.17 because that's when ETS finally finished acknowledging my GRE scores , does it still count for early round? Or do I actually have submitted in ordinary round?

10 hours ago, Denny9528 said:

Hey, didn't know if people still see this page but I just wanna ask if there's anyone knows when Brown sent out Early Decisions? I submitted my application on 12.13 but it was completed on 12.17 because that's when ETS finally finished acknowledging my GRE scores , does it still count for early round? Or do I actually have submitted in ordinary round?

Brown sent off early decisions around Jan. 18th.

When did you send in your GRE scores? If ETS says they got there before 12/15, it's definitely worth emailing admissions.

13 hours ago, SketchesOfSpain said:

Brown sent off early decisions around Jan. 18th.

When did you send in your GRE scores? If ETS says they got there before 12/15, it's definitely worth emailing admissions.

I checked the applyweb of Brown and it says my application was completed on 12/19 because they received my GRE scores on 12/19, so that means I missed the early round and have to wait till late March right?