CSUN MSW 2017 Status, Updates

muttlover3

Hi everyone--Thought it'd be helpful for everyone applying for CSUN MSW 2017 cohort to post status and any updates here.  Best of luck to all!!! 

I walked in my app on 1-6.  Anyone out there got an interview appointment yet? 

Edited by muttlover3

On 2/24/2017 at 4:53 PM, Sebastian0319 said:

I just posted a similar question. I submitted my application in December. I haven't heard anything back yet!

Keep us posted and the very best of luck to you!!!!

Hi to those future social workers that applied for the Ventura cohort!

Hi Dlong12---I turned in my application for the off campus cohort and patiently waiting for a acceptance letter. 

Anyone else applied for the off campus or online cohort, lets keep each other updated?

Best of luck to all of you this year!!!

5 hours ago, ms510 said:

Hi to those future social workers that applied for the Ventura cohort!

Hi Dlong12---I turned in my application for the off campus cohort and patiently waiting for a acceptance letter. 

Anyone else applied for the off campus or online cohort, lets keep each other updated?

Best of luck to all of you this year!!!

hey man , same here.. i met with the admission counselor julie garcia, given my GPA she said it was best advised that i applied for this cohort . she said they would accept 25-27 people.. do you think there will be an interview required ? 

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA --Dlong12

I hope that we all get accepted, I feel that this was the Best option because I know that it is super competitive for the on campus cohort :(

Julie Garcia is awesome and very helpful, she's a Gem!

But I do hope that they conduct interviews so that they can get a better understanding from us as interested students wanting to become social workers.

Edited by ms510

Hi Everyone---Received an email invitation yesterday to attend a group interview for next week sometime.  We were asked to choose our top three date/time preferences out of several listed for the week.  I RSVP'd today.  Best wishes to all!!

I received an email invitation yesterday too , but already accepted Cal State LA's offer for the 1 year advanced standing MSW program. :/. I feel like they really took their time looking over all applicants. Good Luck to all of you! 

Hi everyone! I receive an acceptance letter this week along with CSUSB. I now have to decide between the two but I'm leaning towards CSUN because I like that the program is full-time and only two years compared to CSUSB 3 year program. Good luck to all of you!

On 3/5/2017 at 10:50 AM, MSW07 said:

Does anyone know what the online program interviews are like ? I don't really know anyone who's applied to a masters program online before.

I don't know if you already did the interview but it wasn't too hard. They ask you what would you do if you weren't going to become a social worker. They also asked everyone one random question, the only one's I remember is given current events, what's something you would change to help our society? and What's something that you have the privilege of having that others don't? Then you do a group scenario, ours was what program you would cut out of 8 because of budget cuts. They also ask you to give one example (work or personal) on why urban social work practice would be a good program for you. Lastly, they do a written portion asking about how the interview was and if you wanted to add anything. I don't think the written portion has much weight to it. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

On 3/24/2017 at 9:20 AM, bball33 said:

Hi everyone! I receive an acceptance letter this week along with CSUSB. I now have to decide between the two but I'm leaning towards CSUN because I like that the program is full-time and only two years compared to CSUSB 3 year program. Good luck to all of you!

hey bball... when did you go into your interview ? i went in for an interview last thursday the 23rd, and now waiting anxiously 

9 hours ago, Dlong12 said:

hey bball... when did you go into your interview ? i went in for an interview last thursday the 23rd, and now waiting anxiously 

I interviewed on March 6th and received my acceptance email on March 20th, so you might have to wait a couple more weeks. Hope you hear good news soon, waiting is the hardest part. Good luck! 

Edited by bball33

On 3/28/2017 at 11:05 AM, hpasternak said:

Has anyone done an online (skype or similar) interview with CSUN? I am in the process of scheduling one and am curious how similar or different it is with the in person interview? 

I think it is more laid back than an in person interview. I wrote about it here:

On 3/26/2017 at 2:25 PM, bball33 said:

I don't know if you already did the interview but it wasn't too hard. They ask you what would you do if you weren't going to become a social worker. They also asked everyone one random question, the only one's I remember is given current events, what's something you would change to help our society? and What's something that you have the privilege of having that others don't? Then you do a group scenario, ours was what program you would cut out of 8 because of budget cuts. They also ask you to give one example (work or personal) on why urban social work practice would be a good program for you. Lastly, they do a written portion asking about how the interview was and if you wanted to add anything. I don't think the written portion has much weight to it. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Good luck!

On 3/28/2017 at 0:51 PM, ILoveSchool1992 said:

@Bball33 Congratulations on your acceptances. Out of curiosity, did you submit you initial CSUN application by the priority deadline?

Thanks! I submitted it on January 10th. 

Hi everyone--congrats to all!  Interviewed on 3-21.  Went just the way bball33 said. Just waiting to hear back!  Applied for both on-campus cohorts and the off-campus one.  Here're my stats:

BA Human Dev with a concentration in ECD

GPA: 4.0

work experience:  large family daycare provider 20 + years

bilingual (Spanish) language assessment and development facilitator/community liaison for a local school district for 6 years

volunteer English/writing tutor in my college's program for students with disabilities 3 yrs

volunteer hospice worker 2 yrs

I'm a career changer, a mother of 5, grandmother of 4   Went back to college with all of you brilliant young people and it was the best experience of my life!  My very best wishes to all of you and I hope to read lots of good news here!!!

Hello everyone ! Good to hear some of us are already hearing back. I submitted my application on January 6, 2017.

I completed the interview on March 20,2017 and just really wanting to know. This is my top choice of program. I also  applied to CSUB.

Just a little about me .

3 years of experience as a case manager, bilingual in English and Spanish, I'm a male, and graduated from CSUN in 2014. I'm hoping to get into the CSUN full time on campus program.

Best of luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I submitted my application January 10. I haven't heard anything back yet. No interview, no anything. I am kind of freaking out.