Getting Research Experience Before Applying for Graduate School

Jbunker91

So I graduated with my BS in molecular biology in 2013 and neglected to get involved with any undergraduate research. Since then I've been working as a laboratory services technician for the past 3 years and I've decided I want to go to graduate school and pursue a career in research. I've applied to 3 masters programs and I haven't heard a decision from any of them yet. I'm not freaking out about it yet, but I realize how important research experience so I recognize that my high GPA, high GRE scores, and strong letters of recommendation may not be enough to offset my lack of research experience for all 3 applications. I want to have a fall back plan in case that happens, that would allow me to get research experience so that my graduate school applications are more competitive next year. The problem is, at my current job I don't play a significant enough role in the lab to really consider what I do actual research experience, and I've struggled to get a job where I would be getting research experience. Is it possible for me to go back to the school I graduated from and do research after having earned my degree there? What would be the best course of action to get research experience before next year? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You could try to see if there are any lab positions available at your school by reaching out to professors. It might not be as easy since you're a few years removed from college, but your technician experience is a plus.

You could do a postbac, it's full time research experience. Depends on the program, I think for the NIH you can only be two years removed from your undergrad, but you should look around that may not be the case everywhere.

4 hours ago, seventwo said:

You could do a postbac, it's full time research experience. Depends on the program, I think for the NIH you can only be two years removed from your undergrad, but you should look around that may not be the case everywhere.

This. There are plenty of non-traditional postbacc programs as well (designed for people in your situation).

However, if you don't get in to your Masters programs, I suggest actually applying to PhD programs. Even if you believe what you do as a tech doesn't count as research, that is irrelevant to the adcoms since your personal statement will drive home the fact that you have been doing science for many years now, and are hungry and passionate to pursue a research career where you are actually asking the questions. There are plenty of people whom I met during my interview weekends and whom I have met during recruitment that have atypical backgrounds and little research experience. 

P.S. the reason I suggest a PhD is because a Masters will pretty much keep you as a higher-salaried tech or lab manager (if that's what you're looking for) in academia, but that usually isn't enough for industry anymore (there is a glut of PhDs clamoring for limited positions already). If you're fine with that (and can find a lab where you can have your own project), then great! But if you do want to conduct your own research or run your own lab, then you might want to do more research on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll definitely take this into consideration if I don't get in this semester, though it's looking less likely that I won't get in because I just had two interviews that I feel like I nailed and one of the PIs who interviewed me just emailed me telling me he sent a letter of recommendation on my behalf to the admissions committee after the interview. However, until I'm officially accepted anywhere I'll be considering all of these options.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from someone who has been a tech, a position I got by purely sending out emails to PIs, before I start my PhD this fall, I was fortunate enough to land in a lab where I expressed my needs to become technically a lot better, while also working on mini projects which would be mine, every now and then. It was a large lab, and so there were lots of projects I could jump into, and I've been involved in three over the course of my time here.
So, while it is not research like a PostBac program, this position has honestly been the most helpful in making me a better baby scientist-in-training and for personal growth.