Sociology Resources

speechfan222

Does anyone know where I can find resources or any information about careers and job opportunities for someone with a Masters degree in Sociology? I am new to this field and have a small idea of what I would like to do once I graduate, but would like more information. I looked over the ASA website which isn't too helpful. I also did a google search to try and find more information for graduate students with an MA/MS in Sociology, but am not finding any helpful information.

If anyone knows where I can find more information or who/what to contact, please let me know. Thank you!

26 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

Does anyone know where I can find resources or any information about careers and job opportunities for someone with a Masters degree in Sociology? I am new to this field and have a small idea of what I would like to do once I graduate, but would like more information. I looked over the ASA website which isn't too helpful. I also did a google search to try and find more information for graduate students with an MA/MS in Sociology, but am not finding any helpful information.

If anyone knows where I can find more information or who/what to contact, please let me know. Thank you!

I was told by my advisor that there's a good amount of money in designing surveys for companies to conduct, if you'd like to go down that road. 

4 hours ago, bradley610 said:

If you're a quant person then doing research in a variety of sectors is an option. Teaching at the community college level is possible, but competitive. A lot of people with sociology degrees are involved with nonprofit groups of some kind.

Thanks for this information. I figured individuals with a Masters in Sociology would teach at a university level (positions that don't require doctorates), but I suppose community college is an option too. Hmmm. 

10 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

You can teach intro-level courses at a university with a Master's only, but nothing more. There is no chance of becoming a tenured professor with only an MA/MS.

Do you know of any resources where I can find more job opportunities in detail? I've heard about non profit groups, but what is the job description for someone with this position?

10 hours ago, bradley610 said:

There's simply too much variance to describe what people could do with an MA in Soc, sometimes people take management or communications roles in nonprofits. The most common option would be some kind of quantitative research, though, either through governments, businesses, or nonprofits. The other fairly common option would be teaching at a community college.

This helps a bit, thanks. As popular as Sociology is and the amount of opportunities available, I'm just kind of shocked that there aren't more resources available. Someone with a BS in the field may have been given more information, but someone new to this field, like myself, is somewhat lost.

Do most research positions only require an MA? I figured it would require a PhD or something else. But that is good to know. I think research would be interesting. Put this stats knowledge to work. :o)

Good to know, thanks. I figured some would require a doctorate since most university professors who have research labs are required to have a doctorate.

I'm assuming you are a Soc major. What do you want to do with your degree? Are you going for an MA or PhD?