Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Mippipopolous

2017 Final Decisions

106 posts in this topic

A few people suggested in the acceptances thread that it might be a good time to get the ball rolling on a separate decisions thread! So, if you feel comfortable share which school you've decided on here! What were the biggest factors in your decision? How incredibly excited are you to have made it through to the finish line? If you're having trouble making a final choice feel free to mull it over here too! It can be a nice way to network with future classmates as well. And of course it's a space to celebrate each other and all the hard work everyone put into this process! 

To start us off, I'll be heading to Notre Dame next fall! They were always one of my top choices, so I'm incredibly excited to have gotten an offer. There are numerous faculty who are great fits for my research interests, their funding is very generous, service free years one and five, and all kinds of great resources. My other offer was unfunded, and although I was waitlisted for two great programs they wouldn't really have been able to beat Notre Dame's offer or fit for me. I also fell in love with the school and department while visiting for recruitment! So ultimately wasn't too tough a choice for me. It's also closest to my family which is a nice perk. All in all I am very excited with my decision! 

Looking forward to hearing where everyone ends up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you started this! Congratulations on Notre Dame! I finally accepted UMD, which was my top choice as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic! Congrats, @Mippipopolous and @TeaOverCoffee! You're both at incredible programs, and I'm so glad you ended up at your top choices. 

I haven't made a final decision yet, but right now, it's pretty much between Santa Barbara and Davis. Either way, I'll end up in California, but both programs are equally incredible for very different reasons. It's pretty much going to come down to funding negotiations (if they're successful) and the visiting days, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, imogenshakes said:

Fantastic! Congrats, @Mippipopolous and @TeaOverCoffee! You're both at incredible programs, and I'm so glad you ended up at your top choices. 

I haven't made a final decision yet, but right now, it's pretty much between Santa Barbara and Davis. Either way, I'll end up in California, but both programs are equally incredible for very different reasons. It's pretty much going to come down to funding negotiations (if they're successful) and the visiting days, I think.

Thanks, @imogenshakes! :) 

Definitely two great schools it's down to then! When are the visiting days for them? One of my best friends was just at SB and absolutely loved it, though she's a bit worried about how to make it work financially if she gets an offer. Seems like an amazing place and school! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mippipopolous said:

Thanks, @imogenshakes! :) 

Definitely two great schools it's down to then! When are the visiting days for them? One of my best friends was just at SB and absolutely loved it, though she's a bit worried about how to make it work financially if she gets an offer. Seems like an amazing place and school! 

For sure! SB's day is March 10th (NEXT WEEK! AHHH) and Davis's is April 4th. I wish it wasn't so far away, because I just want to KNOW, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

I am also pretty concerned about the living situation in SB. I got a great offer of funding, but it's about the same as my offer from Madison, which is obviously a much cheaper place to live. My mentors are helping me compose negotiation emails as we speak in hopes that each of them might up their offers a bit. The major difficulty for me is that I can't even find roommates, as I'll be moving out there with my partner...so there's a perk in that we'll have two incomes, but it's still insanely expensive, especially if we can't get into family housing (the waitlist is 12+ months for families without kids. Ugh.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

Fantastic! Congrats, @Mippipopolous and @TeaOverCoffee! You're both at incredible programs, and I'm so glad you ended up at your top choices. 

I haven't made a final decision yet, but right now, it's pretty much between Santa Barbara and Davis. Either way, I'll end up in California, but both programs are equally incredible for very different reasons. It's pretty much going to come down to funding negotiations (if they're successful) and the visiting days, I think.

I am in the same position as you! Currently deciding between two programs, Pittsburgh and Colorado. Wishing you the best in the decision the process :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

Currently deciding between two programs, Pittsburgh and Colorado. 

Have you visited either of them? I wanted to visit UPitt, but it's proving rather difficult to get days off from work. I actually feel pretty bad about the fact that I won't be visiting any of my programs due to not getting all the days off that I need. 

Edited by ProfessionalNerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

Have you visited either of them? I wanted to visit UPitt, but it's proving rather difficult to get days off from work. I actually feel pretty bad about the fact that I won't be visiting any of my programs due to not getting all the days off that I need. 

I will be visiting Colorado Thursday, and Pitts on March 26. I can totally share my thoughts on Pitt after after I go, though I really hope you're able to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

For sure! SB's day is March 10th (NEXT WEEK! AHHH) and Davis's is April 4th. I wish it wasn't so far away, because I just want to KNOW, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

I am also pretty concerned about the living situation in SB. I got a great offer of funding, but it's about the same as my offer from Madison, which is obviously a much cheaper place to live. My mentors are helping me compose negotiation emails as we speak in hopes that each of them might up their offers a bit. The major difficulty for me is that I can't even find roommates, as I'll be moving out there with my partner...so there's a perk in that we'll have two incomes, but it's still insanely expensive, especially if we can't get into family housing (the waitlist is 12+ months for families without kids. Ugh.)

I'd be very curious to hear how to craft a negotiation email as I will more than likely be doing that soon... (don't worry, we are considering different schools so I won't be competing against you ha!)....i just feel sort of bad trying to get people to raise their offer if i might ultimately reject it. Does that make sense? Is it crazy? I do not know how to handle competing offers - I know it is an embarrassment of riches - but I'd love to know what your mentors advised/if anyone else has advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chburdick said:

I'd be very curious to hear how to craft a negotiation email as I will more than likely be doing that soon... (don't worry, we are considering different schools so I won't be competing against you ha!)....i just feel sort of bad trying to get people to raise their offer if i might ultimately reject it. Does that make sense? Is it crazy? I do not know how to handle competing offers - I know it is an embarrassment of riches - but I'd love to know what your mentors advised/if anyone else has advice.

Yeah, same--I've already started talking to my advisors about leveraging offers (in fact, they volunteered information). It feels a little weird, but--I do want to make sure I'm able to live on the stipend, etc., wherever I end up, especially since my partner won't be moving with me immediately. I think the strategy is to only do this if you have intentions to accept the offer from the school you're negotiating with, though. Otherwise you're just sort of stringing them along.

What I've been told so far is to keep asserting your interest, and make it relatively clear you'd accept if they provide you a competitive offer--but also make it clear that you are entertaining equally competitive offers. What this translates into in real time I'm personally still sussing out. I've been emailing professors pre-visiting days and making it clear I'm interested, excited, etc., though that's really the easy part (because I am happy and excited!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

For sure! SB's day is March 10th (NEXT WEEK! AHHH) and Davis's is April 4th. I wish it wasn't so far away, because I just want to KNOW, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

I am also pretty concerned about the living situation in SB. I got a great offer of funding, but it's about the same as my offer from Madison, which is obviously a much cheaper place to live. My mentors are helping me compose negotiation emails as we speak in hopes that each of them might up their offers a bit. The major difficulty for me is that I can't even find roommates, as I'll be moving out there with my partner...so there's a perk in that we'll have two incomes, but it's still insanely expensive, especially if we can't get into family housing (the waitlist is 12+ months for families without kids. Ugh.)

You should definitely NOT be asking for more money from a school you already know you may not go to. I would only do ONE negotiation email to my TOP and FIRST choice. Why? Professors will probably have to pull some strings to get you that money. If you're going to decline, the Professor will have gone through that trouble for nothing, and I'm sure that won't put you in a very good position from then on. Even if you don't pick that school, your POI might be someone you may want to work with. Don't get on their bad side just because you want more cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chburdick said:

I'd be very curious to hear how to craft a negotiation email as I will more than likely be doing that soon... (don't worry, we are considering different schools so I won't be competing against you ha!)....i just feel sort of bad trying to get people to raise their offer if i might ultimately reject it. Does that make sense? Is it crazy? I do not know how to handle competing offers - I know it is an embarrassment of riches - but I'd love to know what your mentors advised/if anyone else has advice.

Yeah, it makes sense. I'm planning to start with whatever school I end up liking better post-visiting days, with the understanding that I have a really good backup offer regardless. Moving down the line, if you will. I definitely don't want to string anyone along, but I also don't want to miss any opportunities, especially because where I end up really might come down to funding. I'd be happy to share what I learn once I hear back from them - I'm literally just doing what they tell me to do, because I don't know what I'm doing, either.

2 hours ago, cabraloca said:

You should definitely NOT be asking for more money from a school you already know you may not go to. I would only do ONE negotiation email to my TOP and FIRST choice. Why? Professors will probably have to pull some strings to get you that money. If you're going to decline, the Professor will have gone through that trouble for nothing, and I'm sure that won't put you in a very good position from then on. Even if you don't pick that school, your POI might be someone you may want to work with. Don't get on their bad side just because you want more cash.

Right. I'm starting with SB, because the program has the most resources for my field, but they're also one of the only programs that didn't offer me a competitive fellowship. If they can't offer me more, I'll be writing Davis. I'm just trying to get the emails done now so my mentors have time to give me feedback, especially since I'll be on spring break next week (so that means I'll be out of commission for 10 days, ha). Also, like I said in response to chburdick, I'm literally only doing what my mentors tell me to do; they know people at all of the programs I applied to, and how the process works, so I won't do anything that they advise against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

Yeah, it makes sense. I'm planning to start with whatever school I end up liking better post-visiting days, with the understanding that I have a really good backup offer regardless. Moving down the line, if you will. I definitely don't want to string anyone along, but I also don't want to miss any opportunities, especially because where I end up really might come down to funding. I'd be happy to share what I learn once I hear back from them - I'm literally just doing what they tell me to do, because I don't know what I'm doing, either.

Right. I'm starting with SB, because the program has the most resources for my field, but they're also one of the only programs that didn't offer me a competitive fellowship. If they can't offer me more, I'll be writing Davis. I'm just trying to get the emails done now so my mentors have time to give me feedback, especially since I'll be on spring break next week (so that means I'll be out of commission for 10 days, ha). Also, like I said in response to chburdick, I'm literally only doing what my mentors tell me to do; they know people at all of the programs I applied to, and how the process works, so I won't do anything that they advise against.

This is basically my plan as well. Visit, decide what my top choice is, negotiate, then make a final decision once I have final numbers/feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KikiDelivery said:

I will be visiting Colorado Thursday, and Pitts on March 26. I can totally share my thoughts on Pitt after after I go, though I really hope you're able to go!

Ah, my visit to Pittsburgh ends just a day earlier! Disappointing that our visits don't overlap, but I suppose that's how it goes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting on one program, but I've already made up my mind. UMASS it is! Very excited to work with Dr. Zucker and the rest of the people at MCIRS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already posted this on another thread, but I've also made up my mind even though I'm waiting for one more program - University of Toronto! I can't be more excited! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2017 at 9:40 PM, KikiDelivery said:

I am in the same position as you! Currently deciding between two programs, Pittsburgh and Colorado. Wishing you the best in the decision the process :)

I got into CU Boulder's MA program! Let me know what you think of the program; I will most likely be attending! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some thought the past week, I just accepted UT Austin's offer and I couldn't be happier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Avalanched said:

I've accepted OSU's offer!! Let's do this! 

Huzzah! Will you be coming to the open house in a couple of weeks?

The 18th century is like a black hole to me, but I'm intrigued by your research interests -- if I accept my offer at OSU, I look forward to hearing more about the overlap between 18th century lit and neuroscience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made an official decision that I am incredibly excited about! I will be accepting my offer from Oklahoma State University!

This means that I will be taking myself off the wait list for funding at the University of Tennessee.  

I weighed the pros and cons, and it seemed to me that, even though Oklahoma is ranked lower than UT, the opportunities that I would have if I moved schools instead of going to the same school twice outweighed the ranking system.  Also, there are numerous professors at Oklahoma who I feel will broaden and improve my research.  I will miss my professors at UT so much, but I just felt like it was time to move forward.  

The Oklahoma program is, also, teaching heavy, which I really like. I love my own research and being a part of the literary community, but I also want to teach and gain experience that will benefit me in the long run both personally and professionally. 

It is a bittersweet moment for me, as it will be the first time I move away from my hometown and the friends, colleagues, and mentors I made while at Pellissippi State and UTK have been so influential and have meant so much to me that leaving them is a very hard thing to do, but I have to make the decision that fits best with my future goals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, melodier said:

I'm heading to CU Boulder! 

Out of upvotes but yay! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from the UC Irvine preview weekend--my mind is made, I'm heading there this fall! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now