Cambridge PhD in History instead of art history

MarinaLazarus

Hi!

I'm asking advice as I received a conditional offer from Cambridge for a PhD in History. The problem is that I've  a MSc in Architectural History and Theory and a BA in History of Art and my dream was doing a PhD in one of these subjects- However, my research project involves both architectural history and history and my MSc supervisor suggested me to apply for a PhD in History at Cambridge as there is a potential supervisor which has already worked on my research topic. With my surprise, I have been accepted but now I don't know what to do. Cambridge was my plan B (I know it sounds strange) and I haven't heard back from my first choice (PhD in History of Art at Toronto). In addition, I don't have news about funding from Cambridge. I'm not worried about the supervisor who is expert in material culture (so both art and architecture) but what I fear the most is that I wouldn't fit in the department and that I would regret not being in the Art History one. 

Is it very stupid to refuse an offer from Cambridge (obviously I will wait for the other notifications to come in)?

My supervisor told me that a PhD in History (and from Cambridge) is more prestigious that a PhD in History of Art, Is that true?

oh, also, as far as concern about fitting in- you will have colleagues in your department, but you will also become a member of a Cambridge college, which is where you will live, eat, and play. Opportunities for sport and leisure, socializing, and finding a group of like-minded, inspiring peers will abound! 

Cambridge was one of my Plan B choices too and I also worried about fitting in (class wise), although I wouldn't have had a good supervisor with similar research interests. I didn't end up applying, because I got my first choice acceptance very early so I didn't need to apply anywhere else. Cambridge is world class institution though and a PhD there will take you far.

Funding is a major concern, because fees in the UK are insanely high (especially if you're international). Also Cambridge is one of the more...'socially progressive' campuses here, which might not be for everyone.

My husband is British did his undergrad in history at Cambridge (and his dad got a Ph.D. when my husband was young), and he said that funding in the UK was pretty non-existent, so that would definitely be a concern.  Also, the degree as far as I can is pretty much just your thesis, which makes it much shorter than a US degree (which you may see as an advantage or a disadvantage) and much more dependent on the advisor being a good fit than the departure.  If you like the advisor and can swing the finances, I wouldn't worry about what department it is in.  I am in almost the opposite boat.  I have a strong theology background but am mostly interested in history.  I got into none of my history programs last year but into a really good department of religion for historical studies.  I brought up my concern with my POI who teaches in both departments but takes Ph.D. students in the department of religion, and he said that at the Ph.D. level the topic of your thesis is more important than the department you get it in.  Since he is an excellent historian and it's a good fit, I am going there.  I figure at the end of the day, the advisor being a good fit and being supportive of me and my research is more important than the department.  Also, it might be an advantage to be able to teach both.  I am guessing that when it comes to a job search a history degree might be more flexible than a more niche degree, but I don't know much about your subfield.