Hey y'all, 

So I'm trying not to obsess over the fact that two people already received acceptances to Villanova's MA program, even though the application deadline isn’t even until March 1st.

I applied for the Graduate Assistantship – CASA when I applied for the English program, because the deadline for the GA -CASA is March 6th. I just have a couple of questions.

1)      Why put the application deadline so late and, apparently, accept people before that? What does that mean?

2)      Why make the funding opportunities have applications the same time as the program applications? Wouldn’t that just mean more work, i.e. examining funding applications for students that don’t even end up accepted to the school?

3)      The major reason for my breaking down and asking these questions on GC: I just received an email from Villanova stating that all of my materials were sent in correctly for the CASA application, and that “We will be contacting you soon for an interview.” WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Hi! I was one of the acceptances. I am really confused because the email was worded strangely. It said that the graduate admissions committee had already finished deliberating and had made decisions, but they couldn't extend offers of funding until after the official deadline on March 1st. 

I have no idea what that means but I was confused as well. I was happy to hear of my acceptance, but I'm not sure why they don't tell everyone at the same time and tell people once they have decided who to offer funding to. They might be doing interviews for the specific position you applied for, but I don't think that the interview request means you have been accepted into the program yet. I'm sure you will hear back soon! I was notified via email by Heather Hicks, and my portal updated earlier today. Best of luck and congratulations on your Alabama acceptance!!

I wouldn't be too stressed about it. Grad Cafe Survey shows there was a wide range of acceptance dates.

There are other universities that do accept applicants before the deadline. I can't remember which universities I've seen it in, but I know I've seen it posted on the forums.

Some of the funding opportunities are determined by offices that aren't the English department. As such, it's open to all graduate students. Those departments may have to figure out staffing prior to a certain time.

5 hours ago, Scarlet A+ said:

Hey y'all, 

So I'm trying not to obsess over the fact that two people already received acceptances to Villanova's MA program, even though the application deadline isn’t even until March 1st.

I applied for the Graduate Assistantship – CASA when I applied for the English program, because the deadline for the GA -CASA is March 6th. I just have a couple of questions.

1)      Why put the application deadline so late and, apparently, accept people before that? What does that mean?

2)      Why make the funding opportunities have applications the same time as the program applications? Wouldn’t that just mean more work, i.e. examining funding applications for students that don’t even end up accepted to the school?

3)      The major reason for my breaking down and asking these questions on GC: I just received an email from Villanova stating that all of my materials were sent in correctly for the CASA application, and that “We will be contacting you soon for an interview.” WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I second @Warelin. I did my undegrad at Villanova and applied to their MA program, too, and one of my professors said the adcomm meets a few times before all decisions are handed out. So do not worry at al!. And if you have any questions at all about the department/school, please feel free to PM me. There is no place I love more than Villanova. 

On 2/23/2017 at 4:15 PM, Warelin said:

I wouldn't be too stressed about it. Grad Cafe Survey shows there was a wide range of acceptance dates.

There are other universities that do accept applicants before the deadline. I can't remember which universities I've seen it in, but I know I've seen it posted on the forums.

Some of the funding opportunities are determined by offices that aren't the English department. As such, it's open to all graduate students. Those departments may have to figure out staffing prior to a certain time.

But then that means the later you apply, the lesser your chances at receiving an offer, no? :( 

3 hours ago, Yanaka said:

But then that means the later you apply, the lesser your chances at receiving an offer, no? :( 

I don't think that's necessarily true! In the email I received it was very clear that they were waiting until after the official deadline (March 1st) to make decisions about funding. I think applying early is always a good idea, but I don't think that you are at a disadvantage by waiting. They will still read your application and offer you admission if they are interested, as long as you submit by March 1st! :) 

On 26/02/2017 at 0:57 AM, natalielouise said:

I don't think that's necessarily true! In the email I received it was very clear that they were waiting until after the official deadline (March 1st) to make decisions about funding. I think applying early is always a good idea, but I don't think that you are at a disadvantage by waiting. They will still read your application and offer you admission if they are interested, as long as you submit by March 1st! :) 

Yes, I was just told that they'll send out decisions about funding "around mid-March"!

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Gray Under Gray said:

Did anyone else receive a call yesterday saying that funding information will be sent out today or tomorrow? 

I did, but I haven't received the funding info yet. 

I am on the funding waitlist. Dr. Hicks said I am "high on the waitlist" but it may be weeks before I find out if I am going to receive funding. I was leaning toward CU, so I guess this is a sign. Will most likely decline my offer :) 

To those waitlisted for funding (like myself) I will most likely be declining my offer, so at least that will mean movement on the list!!! 

just heard from Dr. Hicks that I am #7 on the waitlist. Not sure if I should wait a while to accept my other offer?

Edited by natalielouise
email from Dr. Hicks

1 hour ago, natalielouise said:

To those waitlisted for funding (like myself) I will most likely be declining my offer, so at least that will mean movement on the list!!! 

just heard from Dr. Hicks that I am #7 on the waitlist. Not sure if I should wait a while to accept my other offer?

Do you think you'd choose VU over CU if they offered you funding? I can tell you that the graduate assistantship offered comes with a stipend of roughly $16,000 if that helps at all... 

Edited by Gray Under Gray

15 minutes ago, Gray Under Gray said:

Do you think you'd choose VU over CU if they offered you funding? I can tell you that the graduate assistantship offered comes with a stipend of roughly $16,000 if that helps at all... 

Thank you for that info! CU is offering me a TAship in the English department which comes with salary + tuition waiver for one semester, and I can TA in the women's studies department and work in the writing center to fund me for the other 3 semesters, so even if I receive funding from Villanova before April 15th, I'm not sure if I would choose it over CU because I will receive funding there for sure and I think it might be a better fit for me. Dr. Hicks told me I will most likely receive funding based on my waitlist position, but it might be after April 15th, so I will most likely decline. I am going to wait until maybe April 1st to decide for sure though. 

Congratulations on the funding offer, though!!! Are you thinking VU? :) 

27 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

Thank you for that info! CU is offering me a TAship in the English department which comes with salary + tuition waiver for one semester, and I can TA in the women's studies department and work in the writing center to fund me for the other 3 semesters, so even if I receive funding from Villanova before April 15th, I'm not sure if I would choose it over CU because I will receive funding there for sure and I think it might be a better fit for me. Dr. Hicks told me I will most likely receive funding based on my waitlist position, but it might be after April 15th, so I will most likely decline. I am going to wait until maybe April 1st to decide for sure though. 

Congratulations on the funding offer, though!!! Are you thinking VU? :) 

I'm unsure. Thanks for asking. The program seems wonderful and there appears to be more faculty with similar interests to me at VU (I want to study feminist and queer lit). BUT VU being unranked is a big drawback. The University of Illinois gave me better funding (and it's a TAship instead of a grad assistantship) in a significantly cheaper area. Plus, UIUC is highly ranked, but I'm not sure it's "as" good a fit in terms of the university's size and interests. I'm completely conflicted. I'm visiting both in the next two weeks so, hopefully, that will help. 

BTW CU is gorgeous! I almost applied there! And congrats on the TAship!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and received funding. I was accepted but didn't receive an email today so really unsure of what to make of that/ if I should email Dr. Hicks.

I've also lived in and around Philadelphia my entire life so happy to answer any questions anyone considering the area has that would be relevant to that.

46 minutes ago, Gray Under Gray said:

I'm unsure. Thanks for asking. The program seems wonderful and there appears to be more faculty with similar interests to me at VU (I want to study feminist and queer lit). BUT VU being unranked is a big drawback. The University of Illinois gave me better funding (and it's a TAship instead of a grad assistantship) in a significantly cheaper area. Plus, UIUC is highly ranked, but I'm not sure it's "as" good a fit in terms of the university's size and interests. I'm completely conflicted. I'm visiting both in the next two weeks so, hopefully, that will help. 

That's awesome - I am also into feminist and queer lit but my focus is primarily in Victorian women's authors, Gothic Lit, and male depictions of female narrators. VU does have strong Gender Studies faculty (plus the certificate!) but nothing specifically in what I'm interested. I definitely also feel a TAship is an advantage, which is also pushing me toward CU. CU is so gorgeous!! My sister lives in Fort Collins and my family 6 hours from Boulder, so the closeness to my family is a huge perk. I will almost certainly choose CU at this point, and UIUC sounds great for you! I feel the same about Villanova being unranked, and everyone I have talked to from there has talked about how they have had trouble placing MA students into PhD programs in recent years. 

Good luck either way! Congratulations again on all of your acceptances! 

15 minutes ago, darcyt said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and received funding. I was accepted but didn't receive an email today so really unsure of what to make of that/ if I should email Dr. Hicks.

I've also lived in and around Philadelphia my entire life so happy to answer any questions anyone considering the area has that would be relevant to that.

I am not sure, I am assuming you're on the waitlist if you didn't receive an email about funding, but if you were accepted I definitely think it's worth emailing her and asking. I got a call from a grad student there on Monday night and that's why I knew about funding coming out today (I think a few others on GC got a call as well), but funding was always supposed to be announced in March so I would totally email and ask. 

Good luck! :) 

46 minutes ago, darcyt said:

I would email her- she's quick to respond. I'm not sure if you should make anything of it, however, based on the size of the funding wait list, I imagine she's been busy and just hasn't gotten to sending your email yet- maybe later tonight (I've received several emails from VU near or after midnight). Congrats on the acceptance, and good luck on the funding! 

On 3/22/2017 at 4:06 PM, Gray Under Gray said:

Just a quick note here:
USNews doesn't rank MA programs. You'll also find Georgetown, Wake Forest and University of Massachusetts Boston are unranked.

USNews rankings don't extend to a ranked program's MA program.