Also into feminist/queer lit and the British 19th, here! All of us would be awesome together :D 

Dr. Mullen opened a course on autobiographies and anonymity, but she told me she taught it to undergrads. So I don't know if that will be available to grads, too? Either way, I'm super excited.

18 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Dr. Mullen opened a course on autobiographies and anonymity, but she told me she taught it to undergrads. So I don't know if that will be available to grads, too? Either way, I'm super excited.

In some programs you can take an undergraduate course for graduate credit. Sometimes you have to make arrangements with the professor to have different assignments (i.e. you don't need to do an exam, but need to write a 20-page paper or something), but if it's a course that is a close fit with your interests, it's worth asking about.

8 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

In some programs you can take an undergraduate course for graduate credit. Sometimes you have to make arrangements with the professor to have different assignments (i.e. you don't need to do an exam, but need to write a 20-page paper or something), but if it's a course that is a close fit with your interests, it's worth asking about.

I definitely will! 

2 hours ago, Gray Under Gray said:

Anyone going to the accepted students event on 4/8? 

I most likely will be. Don't know if I'll actually be attending as it doesn't look like I have much chance of getting funding based on my number on the waitlist, but I live  20 minutes away so I figure I may as well.

I will be at the event, since I was already planning on being in Philadelphia that week. Still not sure if I will be accepting the offer, it depends on whether or not I get funding (number 5 on the wait list, last I checked).

Edited by Thersites

1 hour ago, Thersites said:

I will be at the event, since I was already planning on being in Philadelphia that week. Still not sure if I will be accepting the offer, it depends on whether or not I get funding (number 5 on the wait list, last I checked).

What if you don't know about funding before April 15?

I am about 99.9% positive that if I do not receive funding, then I will not attend, and I will wait till the next cycle, since I have now been rejected to all other programs to which I've applied.

Since I will be in the area during the first two weeks of April, I will attend the event and see where I stand on the wait list; if I've moved up to number 1 on the wait list for funding, I may strike a rather risky wager with myself and pray the potential benefits would outweigh the potential harm. I'm hoping that we will hear about some movement in the wait list before 15, April.

What about you? 

21 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

What if you don't know about funding before April 15?

What about you?

(I suck at forums and remembering to do the whole quote thing)

16 minutes ago, Thersites said:

Since I will be in the area during the first two weeks of April, I will attend the event and see where I stand on the wait list; if I've moved up to number 1 on the wait list for funding, I may strike a rather risky wager with myself and pray the potential benefits would outweigh the potential harm. I'm hoping that we will hear about some movement in the wait list before 15, April.

I'm sure you've been in correspondence with Dr. Hicks, but I am #7 on the waitlist for funding and when I contacted her to ask about my position and the typical movement of the waitlist, she seemed extremely optimistic that I would receive funding. She did, however, say that it would probably not be until after April 15th that I know for sure. I will likely accept the other offer as funding is a certainty, but I wouldn't give up hope yet if I were you - it sounds like there is usually movement on the funding waitlist - and you're in the top 5. I'm sure you will find out at the admitted students event, as well. Good luck!!! 

@natalielouise

I am certainly not hopeless! But if I hear nothing about funding by 15, April, and if at the time I am still number 5, or even 4, I am not sure how comfortable I would be accepting the offer. I am already swimming in student loans! Really, I am just biding my time until the day comes where I am forced to make a decision, and hopefully by then I will have more information. But thank you for the cheerful words! And congrats on both of your acceptances!

I understand, @Thersites! I'm more than likely to accept the offer regardless of the funding I may or may not receive. I certainly hope there will be significant movement on the list, but I'm #12 so not too much hope, there. 

I am waiting on an email from the DGS at CU-Boulder to answer a (somewhat important) question. Unless I get a really weird response to the question (it concerns funding and the most likely date of my granted TAship), I will be accepting the offer from Boulder this week and letting Dr. Hicks know that I am declining Villanova's offer of admission. 

I hope that those of you on the waitlist for funding hear good news because of this!!!! 

22 minutes ago, greenhousegoth said:

I know I'm on the waitlist for funding, but where do I find out my position number? Regardless, I'll be declining my offer this week so I hope that helps someone out!

Those of us who know have asked Dr. Hicks. Since you're getting off the list there's no point in asking her, but in case you do I want to know the answer :P 

6 hours ago, Scarlet A+ said:

My girlfriend is #2 on Villanova's funding wait list, but she's decided to go to U of A instead, so she'll be declining. You should be seeing some movement on the wait list soon. 

Sweet- thank you for the information! Congrats to you and your girlfriend on the acceptances!

I emailed Heather Hicks and told her I was working on confirming my offer from another program but wanted to check in with her before doing so - she told me there has been no movement on the waitlist and that only two funding offers have not been accepted. Those students will also probably be deliberating until after the visit days on April 8th, she said. 

Sorry for the bad news everyone :( I am turning down my offer officially today so at least there will be waitlist movement in the case that the two students do not accept their funding offers.

Edited by natalielouise

3 hours ago, natalielouise said:

I emailed Heather Hicks and told her I was working on confirming my offer from another program but wanted to check in with her before doing so - she told me there has been no movement on the waitlist and that only two funding offers have not been accepted. Those students will also probably be deliberating until after the visit days on April 8th, she said. 

Sorry for the bad news everyone :( I am turning down my offer officially today so at least there will be waitlist movement in the case that the two students do not accept their funding offers.

That sucks! Thank you for the information, though! At this point, with 2 funded students who are undecided, and 3-4 people ahead of me in the wait list- the odd are rather discouraging. Oh well. I still plan to attend the accepted students day, for those of you who will be there. Perhaps I will take out the loans and hope I get funding spring semester or the next. There's one more assistantship for the Learning Support Center, so unless that has already been decided, there are few options for those of us who are unfunded.

Congrats on CU (again)!

1 hour ago, Thersites said:

That sucks! Thank you for the information, though! At this point, with 2 funded students who are undecided, and 3-4 people ahead of me in the wait list- the odd are rather discouraging. Oh well. I still plan to attend the accepted students day, for those of you who will be there. Perhaps I will take out the loans and hope I get funding spring semester or the next. There's one more assistantship for the Learning Support Center, so unless that has already been decided, there are few options for those of us who are unfunded.

Congrats on CU (again)!

Would you mind sharing your impressions from the visit? Also, are you sure getting funding later is a possibility? I haven't really asked that yet, I think getting a TA-ship after the first year is rare, but I don't know about funding-funding.

Perhaps @Warelin could help some people on this thread out - do you know if students who did not receive funding their first year have had luck getting other positions/assistantships through the English department and elsewhere during their second year? It seems like there are a lot of opportunities for funding grad students, I'm just curious how often they go to incoming students rather than current students without funding. 

• 2 weeks later...