I have a problem I never thought I'd have... (Brown vs. Syracuse MPA)

I've gotten into my two top choice programs.  I honestly never thought this would happen because my GRE scores were not great.  So now I've run into this problem, I love both schools for different reasons, so I need your advice to see which one will monetarily produce the best results because that is what is holding me back right now.  

Here are my pros and cons, maybe you guys can see something I cant.  

The costs in this list including the present offers I've received.  Brown offered me $3000 in scholarships, but I've asked for more and they said they would reevaluate and Syracuse doesn't complete aid packages until late March.  

Brown

Pros

Cons

Ivy League/Name Recognition

Cost ($86424)

Would not have to move

Fear of not fitting in

1 year program

New Program

Would not have to leave family for a year

Strong Networking

Small class sizes, more one on one experience

Syracuse

Pros

Cons

#1 MPA Program in the Country

Would have to leave family for a year

1 year program

Would have to move

77% in public sector of 2015 Graduates

Not knowing anyone

Less Expensive ($79454)

Not that famliar with the programs but your am i competitive said your first choice was brown, and syracuse wasn't even top 3. What changed? My main concern with brown would be how new it is and that it lacks alumni/network. That said if Syracuse doesn't offer you money you'd still have to spend a significant amount on moving costs and such so it would prob be just as expensive. What does your gut tell you?

Edited by Ella16

36 minutes ago, Ella16 said:

Not that famliar with the programs but your am i competitive said your first choice was brown, and syracuse wasn't even top 3. What changed? My main concern with brown would be how new it is and that it lacks alumni/network. That said if Syracuse doesn't offer you money you'd still have to spend a significant amount on moving costs and such so it would prob be just as expensive. What does your gut tell you?

So Syracuse moved up so quickly because I had it so low assuming it wasn't a possibility. It was my original dream school before I learned of Browns program. I also visited my top 2 and 3 picks and I really wasn't a fan. 

When I went to browns open house, someone asked about the effects of the program being so new. They said that they make up for that because they still have the alumni from the previous program (which was an MPP) 

My gut is telling me Brown, because of what goes along with graduating from an Ivy League school. I cried (happy tears) when I got into Brown. I was somewhat upset when I got into Syracuse because it meant I had a major decision to make. 

Edited by brittanyandrea

40 minutes ago, ironheart said:

Hi @brittanyandrea! Have you factored in living expenses in the cost for Syracuse? It might turn out to be more expensive, since you'll have to move—unlike Brown, in which case you'll be staying with family.

Yes, I have. The costs in the list include all living expenses. The only way it would be a reasonable difference is if Syracuse offers at least $10,000 in funding, which based on much GRE is doubtful. 

Edited by brittanyandrea

2 hours ago, brittanyandrea said:

I've gotten into my two top choice programs.  I honestly never thought this would happen because my GRE scores were not great.  So now I've run into this problem, I love both schools for different reasons, so I need your advice to see which one will monetarily produce the best results because that is what is holding me back right now.  

Here are my pros and cons, maybe you guys can see something I cant.  

The costs in this list including the present offers I've received.  Brown offered me $3000 in scholarships, but I've asked for more and they said they would reevaluate and Syracuse doesn't complete aid packages until late March.  

Brown

Pros

Cons

Ivy League/Name Recognition

Cost ($86424)

Would not have to move

Fear of not fitting in

1 year program

New Program

Would not have to leave family for a year

Strong Networking

Small class sizes, more one on one experience

Syracuse

Pros

Cons

#1 MPA Program in the Country

Would have to leave family for a year

1 year program

Would have to move

77% in public sector of 2015 Graduates

Not knowing anyone

Less Expensive ($79454)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come up with the 79K number? That sounds too high for Syracuse's program, which is 40 credits. Even with living expenses, that seems like it's on the very high end.

If the costs for the two programs are broadly accurate, how much is that difference a consideration? It would be different if it was 40k vs 80k or something, but the 7k difference will translate into a few dozen dollars per month difference when it comes to student loan repayments, (or even no difference, depending on a lot of variables you have no way at all of gauging right now, like your precise income level and eligibility for loan-forgiveness years from now, for example. https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/mobile/repayment/repaymentEstimator.action#view-repayment-plans) I'm not suggesting that it isn't a significant sum (the entire tuition of my MA was about 7k...American universities are crazy) or that less debt is not almost always better than more debt, but if the program that is more expensive if one where you feel you'll have better prospects, in this instance that 7k could easily be the difference in annual salary between your first job after program A vs. your first job after program B with some left over.

The dollar amount for both schools includes everything, from my car payment to rent to utilities. The reason why there is such a little difference is because I live with my parents currently. I'm still waiting to hear back for funding from Syracuse. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is which school will produce the best results, regardless of costs because there isn't too much of a difference in costs as of now since I don't know if Syracuse will be giving me any funding. 

Not knowing much about Brown's program, I would venture to guess you'll get a similar education at both programs.  I can vouch for Syracuse's program in that the professors are genuinely committed to teaching and the courses are well-designed.  But frankly, when it comes to public administration, there is only so much you can learn in a classroom.  The field is just so varied in terms of the skills you'll use in any given job.

In terms of career placement, Syracuse's network is fantastic.  Syracuse alumni definitely helped me get my job.  That being said, even though Brown's program is new, I am sure that the broader university has a network as well (perhaps not as concentrated in the public sector), and the Ivy League name might give you a leg up if you are looking to get a job in the private sector.

A last thing I'd recommend you consider is that, at least at Syracuse, the program itself is an opportunity to meet other people in your field and make lasting connections.  I had a blast when I was at Syracuse because I met so many people with similar interests to mine (there was also a fair bit of partying although I didn't party as much as other people), some of whom have become my best friends.  The other major program I had been considering was Georgetown, which would only have made sense financially if I lived with my parents.  I know for me, I enjoyed the social aspect at Syracuse more because I was living near the other students and not with my parents, so that might be a factor for you as well.  Living costs in Syracuse are so low (I spent under $500 a month in rent and utilities in a shared apartment) that it was well worth it in terms of the independence I had.

The newness of Brown's MPA program is a big red flag for me. Not only is the alumni network relatively small, but newer programs are still building up their faculty and specializations, leaving early entrants with an abundance of core classes and not much else. I looked into Brown when I first applied to schools and was turned off by its curriculum only allowing for three electives. I'm currently at SPEA and am going to be taking 10 electives related to my concentration. It's an inherent downside to one year programs. Syracuse has done a great job of condensing it's program into 12-15 months and still providing its students with a strong skill-set that extends beyond the basics. At this point I don't think the same can be said for Brown. 

The Brown name will open doors for you without a doubt, but if you have specific goals you want to get out of your program for what you want to do with your career, it may be best to go elsewhere at this point.

12 hours ago, mpamppquestions said:

Congratulations :)

As someone pointed out in a thread for a while back, I think all of us here are pleasantly surprised by how much less competitive all of these programs are than in other fields at top institutions. 

While it's great I've been accepted to great graduate schools, the "real" admissions process for me is the funding decision. It's what will determine whether I actually attend graduate school. I imagine this will be a far more competitive process.