Career after Ph.D. Biostatistics

deptbios

I got several official letter in biostatistics phd program. After Ph.D., I hope to continue my biostatistical research as post-doc and professor. I'm wondering the future career in biostatistics after Ph.D. as follow universities.

NYU, Miami, Indiana, Arizona, Wisconsin-Madison, South Carolina, Penn State, UC San Diego, University of Florida.

The thing is that they are not included in the ranking of biostatistics phd program because those programs are belonging to medical school.

Wisconsin is the only well-established program on this list. The program is shared with stat, which has produced many excellent graduates. Of the rest, Florida and South Carolina (I assume you mean Medical University of South Carolina) are "OK", and the remainder are pretty much unknown and have almost no track record of sending graduates into good postdocs leading to faculty positions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 8:00 AM, deptbios said:

I got several official letter in biostatistics phd program. After Ph.D., I hope to continue my biostatistical research as post-doc and professor. I'm wondering the future career in biostatistics after Ph.D. as follow universities.

NYU, Miami, Indiana, Arizona, Wisconsin-Madison, South Carolina, Penn State, UC San Diego, University of Florida.

The thing is that they are not included in the ranking of biostatistics phd program because those programs are belonging to medical school.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I had a short question @deptbios :

Do they conduct interviews at UC San Diego, Miami and Arizona either by phone or in person before making Phd offers?

15 hours ago, BadMoonRising said:

Sorry to hijack this thread. I had a short question @deptbios :

Do they conduct interviews at UC San Diego, Miami and Arizona either by phone or in person before making Phd offers?

I got some interview with UC San Diego, but I don't have an admission yet. In case of Miami and Arizona, they give offers without an interview.

I know a Professor who had a PhD from there, after doing a masters in biostatistics from the University of Michigan . He said many good things about the department including the fact that it had strong links with other schools and links to  industry for its students considering a post-doc or wanting to do internships at big pharma companies while in PhD program . He throught IUPUI was a good brand coz, IUPUI is  Indiana University- Purdue University, with Purdue being a good brand in general. 

The professor might still there on the Epidemiology faculty at Temple University, but I can't be sure.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:30 PM, deptbios said:

FYI, Florida's program is in their College of Public Health. It's unranked because it's new. 

On ‎2017‎년 ‎3‎월 ‎10‎일 at 5:34 AM, BadMoonRising said:

I know a Professor who had a PhD from there, after doing a masters in biostatistics from the University of Michigan . He said many good things about the department including the fact that it had strong links with other schools and links to  industry for its students considering a post-doc or wanting to do internships at big pharma companies while in PhD program . He throught IUPUI was a good brand coz, IUPUI is  Indiana University- Purdue University, with Purdue being a good brand in general. 

The professor might still there on the Epidemiology faculty at Temple University, but I can't be sure.

such good information! Both Miami and IUPUI seem to be excellent to study biostatistics for PhD. My main interest is longitudinal and survival analysis. IUPUI has lots of faculty members who are expert in my interest and they are doing related to biostatistical research. I have to consider in my biostatistics career in academia, post-doc and professor.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎3‎월 ‎10‎일 at 10:43 AM, footballman2399 said:

FYI, Florida's program is in their College of Public Health. It's unranked because it's new. 

There are several biostatistics phd programs in the US which are new. Thus, I'm very confused what university is the most profitable to me. T^T

I just re-read my post .  Just to clarify , I was talking about IUPUI only . I meant to say the professor had a PhD from IUPUI, and all I wrote about post-doc/ interships pertains to IUPUI .

I have no idea about Miami, whether it would lead to career in academia.
Edited by BadMoonRising

14 hours ago, BadMoonRising said:
I just re-read my post .  Just to clarify , I was talking about IUPUI only . I meant to say the professor had a PhD from IUPUI, and all I wrote about post-doc/ interships pertains to IUPUI .

I have no idea about Miami, whether it would lead to career in academia.

I see. Thank you!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @deptbios, I am actually still awaiting the decision from the Miami and Arizona for the PhD in Biostatistics. Can you please tell me when you got your decisions from those schools? Also, when you apply to them ? Thank you.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎3‎월 ‎22‎일 at 3:44 PM, MBuz said:

Hi @deptbios, I am actually still awaiting the decision from the Miami and Arizona for the PhD in Biostatistics. Can you please tell me when you got your decisions from those schools? Also, when you apply to them ? Thank you.

Hey, Yes, I've got the admissions from Miami and Arizona, even though Arizona gave me conditional offer about TOEFL or IELTS. Thus, I'm not considering Arizona. Maybe, it was on early Feb. And I applied them before first priority due data, maybe early December. Thank you.