Recruitment Event after acceptance

LWilk

Question

I have been trying to find information about what to expect at recruitment events for non-science PhD students. I was accepted into a program for Cultural Studies and was invited to a recruitment event. What the heck is it?? What can I expect? Should I wear a suit? Trousers and a blazer? Trousers no blazer? Trousers and button up no tie? How do I hide my "imposter syndrome" that has slowly creeped into my life in the past 24 hours? Any help or guidance would be amazing. 

2 answers to this question

On 2/24/2017 at 6:32 AM, LWilk said:

I have been trying to find information about what to expect at recruitment events for non-science PhD students. I was accepted into a program for Cultural Studies and was invited to a recruitment event. What the heck is it?? What can I expect? Should I wear a suit? Trousers and a blazer? Trousers no blazer? Trousers and button up no tie? How do I hide my "imposter syndrome" that has slowly creeped into my life in the past 24 hours? Any help or guidance would be amazing. 

Hey Wilk - post-acceptance recruitment events are really a chance for the school to dazzle you with how awesome they are and how much you want to go there. You are already accepted, so while you DO want to make a good impression like you do any other time you first meet someone, there is not as much pressure to perform. These visiting days are a great chance to get a feel for the campus, the department/faculty/students, and to get all of your questions answered (so come with questions!). As far as dress code goes, it depends on the school, so it wouldn't hurt to ask the person who invited you for suggestions (it also depends on the activities - you should receive an itinerary at some point). Most likely you will want to keep it kind of casual (I think trousers/khakis and a button-down would be fine), since you will probably be doing a lot of walking if they give you a campus tour. 

Like @avflinsch, my visiting day is a full schedule, but I think humanities/social sciences are a little less rigorous. We have a campus tour, a few speakers, a "sample" graduate seminar, a few meeting opportunities with advisors, some research presentations by faculty/students, and a dinner/social gathering. None of the events are super long (maybe two hours tops), and there are breaks in between.

Oh, impostor syndrome - I'm not sure that EVER goes away. Try to keep in mind that even if some people don't act like it, they are ALL kind of terrified underneath it all that they will say something stupid (or not be able to keep up, or not have anything to say), and that they want to make a good impression, too. It might help to take some slow, deep breaths before you walk into a room, and remind yourself that they are here to entice YOU to attend their program.  Also, flinsch is right - you are not expected to know everything - that's why you're going back to school, to learn more. :-)

Hope this helps - and RELAX and have a good time!

This is the schedule I got for my recruitment event (communications, library & info science), your schedule will probably be somewhat similar

0900        - shuttle from hotel (I am skipping the overnight at the hotel and will be driving directly from my house)
0915 - 0945 - breakfast & welcome
0945 - 1030 - info on funding/housing/practical matters
1030 - 1055 - meet the doctoral students assoc (DSA)
1100 - 1125 - faculty 1 on 1 meetings (faculty member #1)
1130 - 1155 - faculty 1 on 1 meetings (faculty member #2)
1200 - 1255 - lunch
1300 - 1325 - faculty 1 on 1 meetings (faculty member #3)
1330 - 1530 - phd colloquium session
1545 - 1645 - conversations with faculty
1645 - 1745 - light refreshments - includes masters, undergrad students and office staff (make sure to get to know the office staff as they THE most important folks to know at any organization)
1800 - 2000 - dinner local restaurant with recruits, faculty and DSA volunteers
2000 - ???? - social gathering at the DSA headquarters

Basically a full day of short events.
No dress code was specified, so I will default to business casual.
As for imposter syndrome - just be yourself, you aren't expected to know everything yet.