Let's talk notes. :D

This is such a great thread. I am addicted to stationary and organization!!

In-Class Notes: I ALWAYS sit at the front of class and use my laptop to type up notes. I separate my notes via indentation and bullets, creating new paragraphs for every new thought. Sitting in the front really helps me focus (and also forces the professors to recognize me, so when I have extenuating circumstances they have generally been more lenient with me).

After taking notes on my computer, I will either (a) edit them for corrections that night IF there is no exam for the class or (b) re-write them by hand because it helps me study better. If I write them by hand, I am always using Staedler's fine tip markers. I write on a spiral-bound notebook (usually from Chapters/Indigo) that has detachable pages. I colour coordinate and decorate the hell of my notes because I am very visual learner. E.g. week 1 will be orange and font will be block letters, week 2 will be pink with cursive letters, etc. It seems time consuming, but when you're enjoying what you're writing about because it is aesthetically pleasing/satisfying, it makes studying a breeze.

Readings: Highlighters all day, every day. I start with yellow, so that if I decide to go over that reading at a later date for a different purpose, I can use a stronger colour over the yellow to make "new" highlights that are relevant to what I am doing with the reading. I will also use my Staedler fine tip markers to make notes in the margins. I usually add my own thoughts and critiques when I'm writing, or make a direct reference/comparison to another text. When studying/writing papers with these readings, I will comb through my highlights and notes, and use see-through page tabs to put directly over the sentences or comments I've made. This way, I know what material I want to use and do not have to spend my time referencing back to all the material to find something.

Also, as someone else has mentioned before, I also keep track of poignant sentences, phrases, or words in a document. I will create a chart with three headings: reading, page number, and quote. This has saved me a lot of time writing as well in the long run. I only use this method when I am feeling overwhelmed with readings, otherwise it just seems like added "work" that can easily be achieved with the see-through tabs. 

Edit: Also, if you search studyblr on pintrest, instagram, tumblr, etc. you will see the most beautiful notes to inspire you!

Edited by tnt92

Sometimes I write profanity in the margins of books/articles I'm reading. I can't take notes on a laptop because I end up on this site or amazon. I have to use a ballpoint pen (black or blue only). I can only use yellow highlighters. My notes from class usually start in print and then transition to cursive.I have recently started writing definitions of words I don't know in the margins of my books/articles. I keep a running tab and then I put them on post it notes on the wall near my writing desk.

I buy journals for my "serious" thesis note taking but I never want to mess them up so I go with just a 5 Star 2-3 subject notebook. There are paperclips and flags for the really important stuff. I honestly never realized how insane my notes and books must look to other people.

On 24/02/2017 at 8:55 PM, orphic_mel528 said:

I am a paper/pen snob, and I ended up unintentionally converting about 2/3 of my MA cohort to my system, including a couple of professors. 

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Notebook-Brown-Leather-LB/dp/B000ZYF22M

Midori is a Japanese stationery company that makes gorgeous paper and a number of other organizational accoutrement. 

Is the notebook expensive for a notebook? You betcha. Mine was a gift.

Are there cheaper knockoffs that are just as nice and work just as well? Yep. https://www.etsy.com/market/fauxdori

Have I now had it for five years and would never write notes in anything else? Yep.

Is it refillable? Yep.

Can you fit like five of the notebooks in the cover and keep them separate and organized? Yep.

Can you buy moleskine or knockoff moleskine cahiers and have them trimmed down for free at Staples so you don't have to buy the expensive Midori paper? Yep.

Do they have an accessory binder that keeps your full notebooks archived for highly-organized future perusal? Yep. https://www.jetpens.com/Traveler-s-Notebook-Binder-011-Regular-Size/pd/13655?gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqaxdqILFJvcKr2aTe6C6oNcqQg4g_qtnwS68KzwDmlkaArmG8P8HAQ

Please someone help me put words on this: how do you call being obsessed with stationery? Because the "stationery hoarder" inside me has been thinking about these beautiful objects since 9PM on 02/24.

Edited by Yanaka

29 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Please someone help me put words on this: how do you call being obsessed with stationery? Because the "stationery hoarder" inside me has been thinking about these beautiful objects since 9PM on 02/24.

I call it "stationery sickness," which I think I got from Anne Lamott but I could be misremembering that.

I'm a recent fountain pen convert--just started using a made-in-Canada Waterman's and so far I love it.

18 hours ago, Yanaka said:

The MTN obsession is real, girl. Whole Instagram and Etsy cults forged in worship of stationery. 

2 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

The MTN obsession is real, girl. Whole Instagram and Etsy cults forged in worship of stationery. 

True story: met with a member of my committee yesterday to go over an exam field, and the meeting ended with him gesturing down to my camel Midori before pulling out his (black, passport-sized) Midori and slapping it on the desk next to mine. Felt like a secret handshake.

36 minutes ago, unræd said:

True story: met with a member of my committee yesterday to go over an exam field, and the meeting ended with him gesturing down to my camel Midori before pulling out his (black, passport-sized) Midori and slapping it on the desk next to mine. Felt like a secret handshake.

unræd knows what's up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, orphic_mel528 said:

I am a paper/pen snob, and I ended up unintentionally converting about 2/3 of my MA cohort to my system, including a couple of professors. 

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Notebook-Brown-Leather-LB/dp/B000ZYF22M

Midori is a Japanese stationery company that makes gorgeous paper and a number of other organizational accoutrement. 

Is the notebook expensive for a notebook? You betcha. Mine was a gift.

Are there cheaper knockoffs that are just as nice and work just as well? Yep. https://www.etsy.com/market/fauxdori

Have I now had it for five years and would never write notes in anything else? Yep.

Is it refillable? Yep.

Can you fit like five of the notebooks in the cover and keep them separate and organized? Yep.

Can you buy moleskine or knockoff moleskine cahiers and have them trimmed down for free at Staples so you don't have to buy the expensive Midori paper? Yep.

Do they have an accessory binder that keeps your full notebooks archived for highly-organized future perusal? Yep. https://www.jetpens.com/Traveler-s-Notebook-Binder-011-Regular-Size/pd/13655?gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqaxdqILFJvcKr2aTe6C6oNcqQg4g_qtnwS68KzwDmlkaArmG8P8HAQ

I have a question about these! I have a Traveler's Notebook and I love it except for one thing....... it's hard to keep the notebook open for easy writing. Do you clip yours open when writing notes or am I just completely missing something? So far writing in it had been a bit of a hassle for this reason. Thanks!

I'm a little disappointed the notebook's not a little bigger, though! I'm used to A5+ paper and notebooks. Do you guys often have to buy new charges?

13 hours ago, A blighted one said:

I have a question about these! I have a Traveler's Notebook and I love it except for one thing....... it's hard to keep the notebook open for easy writing. Do you clip yours open when writing notes or am I just completely missing something? So far writing in it had been a bit of a hassle for this reason. Thanks!

I had this problem in the beginning before I wore it in. I don't know how long you've had yours, but that might be part of it. Otherwise: yes, I used a large butterfly clip to hold it open. 

I've spent the whole afternoon trying not to buy a whole set. I'd like to wait for the olive one to be out, but the only website I know who will sell it asks for a min. of £150 to order... Which is way too much! And I'm not sure I'll use it that much... haaaaa I don't know what to do! :lol: Did you guys handwrite a lot prior to buying the Traveler's Notebook?

On 3/14/2017 at 3:57 PM, Yanaka said:

I've spent the whole afternoon trying not to buy a whole set. I'd like to wait for the olive one to be out, but the only website I know who will sell it asks for a min. of £150 to order... Which is way too much! And I'm not sure I'll use it that much... haaaaa I don't know what to do! :lol: Did you guys handwrite a lot prior to buying the Traveler's Notebook?

You can get the Olive on pre-order at any of the following:

Baum-Kuchen

Goulet Pens

Two Hands Paperie 

And I haven't checked, but there's an Australian stationery shop called The Journal Shop. I bet they'd have it for pre-order as well. Happy hunting!

8 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

You can get the Olive on pre-order at any of the following:

Baum-Kuchen

Goulet Pens

Two Hands Paperie 

And I haven't checked, but there's an Australian stationery shop called The Journal Shop. I bet they'd have it for pre-order as well. Happy hunting!

Thanks! It didn't take me too long, I pre-ordered it but from a UK website. Do you take notes in class in it? I don't know if I'll be using too many of the little notebooks or not... maybe I should use regular ones on the side for my notes...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I thought I'd pose a few questions to the collective to alleviate some of the tension of the week! As I take stock of my notes from undergrad and what I hope for from my notes in grad school, I'm coming up with three main issues I'd like to find solutions for.

1) I'd like to find a new physical note taking approach. I strongly prefer to take notes with pen and paper (or pencil; I'm not particular) as I really do believe it aids retention of information over the long term. In my upper level classes I did find that I took fewer notes, in order to participate in the flow of the conversation, but barring recording classes (which I would hardly do without the consent of the class and instructor) I don't think there's much of a way around that. I used spiral bound notebooks throughout college, sometimes keeping all of my classes in a single notebook, sometimes allotting each class its own, color-coded notebook. I'm intrigued by the Midori approach, but I don't care for the shape of the pages, nor the expense of assembling a single notebook with enough pages to get through a semester's worth of classes. I'm very attached to my Moleskine planner and positively wedded to the weekly layout, so I'm planning on continuing to use those for reminders, appointments, and deadlines. I would love to find some kind of full sized book-bound notebook with replaceable blocks of pages, so I could retain the cover/binding while swapping out the contents en masse. Short of buying a ruled journal with refillable pages, I'm not sure there's another way to get what I want. Which brings me to my second point...

2) I'd like to figure out a system for digitizing my notes in a way that could integrate with a digital note taking system. About a year out of undergrad, when I was finally adjusting to my tiny New York apartment, I took to staring mournfully from time to time at the huge stack of notebooks from college that were then taking up residence in a storage ottoman I'd been obligated to buy in lieu of a chest of drawers. I decided to go through them all and digitize the ones I wanted to keep, tearing out pages along the perforations and scanning them all at once in a document scanner. I don't *have* a document scanner, so that step is still pending, as I've shied away from using the scanners at work and couldn't justify the expense of a $100 handheld scanner when I had a regular scanner attached to my old printer. All this is complicated by my desire for a refillable notebook, which wouldn't work with most automated document scanners that feed pages one at a time through the scanner. Handheld might be the best bet--or I could use one of the free apps that convert photos to documents, like the one for Google Drive (I have an Android). And I wonder how realistic I am in thinking that I'd scan all of my class notes regularly. It may be that I only do so at the end of each term. I might well want to hang on to my physical notebooks for years! Though as I try to improve as a student, it's quite possible that I'll actually start doing that thing you're supposed to do, and read over your notes before/after class. I've considered skipping the scanning completely and resolving to type up my notes subsequently, but I know myself--it'll probably be the first thing to fall by the wayside as work mounts.

3) So what about that digital note taking system? I'm not in a position to pay for a service right now, but Evernote and OneNote and various others have been on my radar for some time. I've been writing in Scrivener since about 2010, and although a smooth integration with Zotero is still pretty far off by all accounts, I intend to keep using it to write throughout grad school. Ideally I would want to have my scanned class notes, typed notes on reading, and early typed notes for research papers all in one place. I'm not enamored with having all of this live in one massive Scrivener document, but I'm struggling to come up with an alternative.

So: thoughts, reactions, recommendations?

Love this topic :D Recently I've been looking for some tips and found this video which I absolutely LOVED :D How to: Take the BEST Notes! + Study Tips!

However, I can say that I'm handless without one thing: my phone. Because I'm often on the go and I need to make some small notes, it's not possible to grab my textbooks with me. So i found a perfect way to draft my notes with Evernote. Probably that's not new, but still decided to share my experience :)