On contact from POIs

giapet8

Hi, everyone, 

New poster here. I’ve lurked on this forum for quite awhile; thank you for sharing your wisdom and creating such a supportive community. This application process has been real. I think I sprouted a dozen new grey hairs. 

Quick and somewhat silly question: I was accepted to my top choice a few weeks ago and have since received lovely emails-- quite out of the blue, with no previous contact--from all of my POIs about chatting via phone/meeting on visit day and wanting to advise me. How routine is this? This is my only acceptance so far, so I have nothing to compare it to. I’m trying to figure out if these are extra attentive folks or if this is more or less standard. I’d like to think this bodes well for mentorship/the character of the academic community, but perhaps I’m being too credulous. 

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone; we’re almost home free!

I would say that it's relatively standard, but you should nonetheless see it as a good indicator of your POIs' interest in your research and the school's desire to have you join their program.

I've had a mix of responses. For two of my programs, the faculty who sat on the committee contacted me with enthusiasm and stated they told the other faculty I indicated on my application regarding my file.

I've also received emails from one of these programs from DGS and Chair trying to recruit me and offering themselves up as a contact for questions. Also a student reached out to me offering to answer any questions.

One other school, I received interest from the DGS but not from the faculty I mentioned in my application. I’m not trying to overanalyze this lack of communication, but I do think it is generally a sign that the program is a weaker fit.

One program (which is ranked lowest of those I was accepted to) has done the least amount of courting despite a really strong fit with the program. The financial package is the weakest and because of its rank, I will likely decline the offer.

This is standard these days, and you should not take it as an indication of anything that the faculty are doing their job trying to attract students to their program. Universities do compete against each other for students, and courting them is a way to ensure they will get the best students they can. Once you get to your chosen program the attitude of the same faculty will often be completely different - you will have to prove yourself, and the faculty will continuously compare your work ethic, formality, enthusiasm, and quality of work to those of the other students.

Edited by Ladril

1 hour ago, Ladril said:

This is standard these days, and you should not take it as an indication of anything that the faculty are doing their job trying to attract students to their program. Universities do compete against each other for students, and courting them is a way to ensure they will get the best students they can. Once you get to your chosen program the attitude of the same faculty will often be completely different - you will have to prove yourself, and the faculty will continuously compare your work ethic, formality, enthusiasm, and quality of work to those of the other students.

Interesting insight. Are you currently a graduate student?

Two professors whose works I admire deeply have reached out to me, and I have to admit I'm a little starstruck: "'so-and-so' actually wrote me!" was the running thought when I read their email. My current advisor told me not to be so easily seduced, because that's par for the course during this "courting season." Do others have similar experiences?

2 hours ago, Ladril said:

Echoing @theorynetworkculture, I'd be really curious to hear more about this from you or other current/former PhD graduate students. Specifics about your experiences working with faculty and their comparisons of graduate students, including anecdotes about dynamics or others you have heard about, would be much appreciated!

3 hours ago, theorynetworkculture said:

Interesting insight. Are you currently a graduate student?

Two professors whose works I admire deeply have reached out to me, and I have to admit I'm a little starstruck: "'so-and-so' actually wrote me!" was the running thought when I read their email. My current advisor told me not to be so easily seduced, because that's par for the course during this "courting season." Do others have similar experiences?

Questions you must ask yourself: are they people who publish routinely with students? (some sacred cows never do). Are they people who have a reputation for being difficult to deal/work with? Don't be afraid to do research on this. If the answer is no to the first question and yes for the second, you should definitely reconsider your choice of program. 

The above may sound obvious, but way too many people make decisions based only on name and prestige. That is a mistake.

Edited by Ladril