A prestigious school vs. The right school

Keo11

I was recently accepted into the pharmacology PhD programs at Boston University and Johns Hopkins University. I have until April 15th to decide for both. 

I am currently studying neuroscience at Duke, and I am interested in going into industry (Pfizer/Biogen/Merc/Novartis) after grad school to work as a pharmaceutical neuroscientist in drug development/discovery for neurodegenerative diseases. 

Here's some background: I did a summer research program at Boston University last year and fell in love with the campus, environment, PIs and students. My brother has lived in Boston for the past 10 years and I would visit him every summer, so of course I fell in love with the city. Basically, I applied to BostonU hoping that I would get in because if I did, I knew that I would absolutely go there.

This was my mindset before I got an interview from Hopkins. Then everything changed because I never in a million years thought that I could get into a school as prestigious as Hopkins. Don't get me wrong, Duke and BostonU are fantastic, exceptional schools, but I think that Hopkins is kind of up there with the Ivy Leagues. 

Here are the reasons why I didn't immediately say yes to Hopkins after I was accepted:

1) At BostonU, Pharmacology students are able to spend a summer doing research at either Pfizer or Biogen after the first year (which is freaking awesome!!!!), but Hopkins does not have anything like that for their students. Since that is what I want to do in the future, I would love to experience that!

2) There are more PIs (award-winning at that) at BostonU that I could see myself working with in comparison to Hopkins (only 1). 

3) A lot of grad students that I know hate that they're so far away from their families and friends, and even though they eventually made new friends, it was tough to do that as well as adapt to a new city and lifestyle. Boston is basically my second home. I know the city like the back of my hand and I know many of the grad/medical students there and still keep in touch with them. 

4) 5 of my closest friends have already accepted offers from schools in the Boston/Hartford/NYC area, so we'd all be near each other. 

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm sorry this post is so long, but you can probably imagine how difficult this decision is for me. Boston definitely seems like the right fit for me. Both schools have amazing pharmacology programs, although Hopkins' is ranked higher. I think I want to go to Boston, and I don't think I'll regret going there, but it would be so awesome to go to a school like Hopkins. I'd be happy at both places honestly. I guess I just need to get over how prestigious the Hopkins "name" is, because it's making a choice that should've been easy, a difficult one. 

Hi Keo,

Without going into too much detail, I found myself in a similar boat as well.

It sounds like you are very conscious of all the reasons why you should go to BU, but the only one you've identified for JH is prestige. You may find that JH has more going for it than just general prestige, perhaps even fleshing out why it's prestigous can help you better compare and contrast the two.

In any case, grats on both admits! 

6 hours ago, Keo11 said:

Boston definitely seems like the right fit for me.

I think I want to go to Boston, and I don't think I'll regret going there, but it would be so awesome to go to a school like Hopkins.

I guess I just need to get over how prestigious the Hopkins "name" is, because it's making a choice that should've been easy, a difficult one. 

:)

If BU places its graduates in the jobs they want, then I don't really see why you shouldn't go there. 

Edited by OHSP

I find the title of your thread very interesting. You could have named it virtually anything, really. ex: Prestigious School vs. Best Fit, School in Home Town, etc.... Yet you chose to name it: Prestigious School vs. The Right School.

To me , it sounds like you already know what you want to do. The problem is that it's really difficult to let go of an offer to a prestigious school that you never expected to receive and it's thrown off you off track.

I think you'll enjoy yourself more at the right school, especially if it's more right for you over the prestigious school. 

If you think you'll grow more at BostonU, I think you should stay there. Go where to a program that holds the most potential for you and your goals

11 minutes ago, Keo11 said:

Thank you guys so much, your advice really helped! I just accepted the offer at Boston!

Congrats! :) I think you'll enjoy yourself, from what you've written here.

14 hours ago, Keo11 said:

Thank you guys so much, your advice really helped! I just accepted the offer at Boston!

Congrats! I was also going to add that John Hopkins is somewhat well known or prestigious, but specifically for their medical doctorate program.  Their other programs are not necessarily as good.  It sounds like you made the right choice :)