Georgetown English MA Funding

51 minutes ago, TMM1993 said:

I've been accepted to Georgetown's English MA and I'm thrilled! No news on funding, though, and I'm not really sure when I should expect to hear back. 

Has anyone heard about funding yet? 

I've also been accepted and haven't heard about funding. That seems to be the majority of people who are reporting being accepted which makes me think that (maybe, hopefully) funding hasn't gone out. There is a previous thread about this topic from last year. If you look at the results page and the forum, it seems like the official email from the GSA and the offer for funding came in the week and a half following the first acceptance email. 

So I emailed the department because I really had to know. They said that funding offers will be made starting today (which was  Friday) and all through next week. I am not sure why it will take a week for all the notifications to go out. 

If anyone does hear, do post it here :) 

36 minutes ago, Chburdick said:

I heard from Patrick O'Malley this morning with my funding offer. Seems like they are rolling out funding offers all week, but wanted to let you all know!

Congratulations to you! 

May I ask which funding offer was awarded to you? And do you intend to accept? 

15 minutes ago, Diagon said:

Congratulations to you! 

May I ask which funding offer was awarded to you? And do you intend to accept? 

I was offered the Lannan poetics associateship. I have multiple offers other places, including PhD programs, so honestly I'm very confused about what I will do.

5 hours ago, TerryHakase said:

Anybody else receive a call yet? I'm desperately waiting for one over here. 

I'm with you! I have that anxious feeling in my stomach! I reached out to Patrick O'Malley the other day and he said that funding decisions could "take a bit longer" to complete, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Gray Under Gray said:

I'm with you! I have that anxious feeling in my stomach! I reached out to Patrick O'Malley the other day and he said that funding decisions could "take a bit longer" to complete, unfortunately. 

That actually makes me feel a little better! I was assuming that if I didn't get a call this week that I'd be out of luck. Just wondering, what packages did you apply for? 

19 minutes ago, TerryHakase said:

That actually makes me feel a little better! I was assuming that if I didn't get a call this week that I'd be out of luck. Just wondering, what packages did you apply for? 

Honestly, this has been such an extensive process for me—I don't even remember!!! The past year of my life is a giant blur. 

Hello everyone, congratulations on your acceptances! I did not apply to Georgetown but a few months ago I came across a graduate from the program that makes youtube videos. She spoke about her experience securing funding for herself:

https://youtu.be/hl2C-MxV_g4

I hope it helps and gives you encouragement :)

I just emailed them and they said "We just started calling English funding package recipients on Monday and will be throughout the next couple weeks as they are accepted." I'm not sure if that means they're still calling people, or that they've made their initial decisions and more might go out if people don't accept. Their emails are so vague. 

I applied for the Lannan Associateship and the Cinema Journal one. I've been rejected by all the other programs I've heard from so far and probably can assume implied rejection from the others, so I'm dying to know about the Cinema Journal package. I even had a dream that I got the call and then felt godawful when I woke up and realized that it didn't really happen.

@Chburdick have you made any progress on deciding since your previous post?

20 minutes ago, jetleigh said:

I applied for the Lannan Associateship and the Cinema Journal one. I've been rejected by all the other programs I've heard from so far and probably can assume implied rejection from the others, so I'm dying to know about the Cinema Journal package. I even had a dream that I got the call and then felt godawful when I woke up and realized that it didn't really happen.

@Chburdick have you made any progress on deciding since your previous post?

I also applied for/really want the Cinema position! I worked as an editorial assistant for a journal at my undergrad institution and loved it. I think there's only one opening for that position though, but maybe one of us will get it! 

10 minutes ago, TerryHakase said:

I also applied for/really want the Cinema position! I worked as an editorial assistant for a journal at my undergrad institution and loved it. I think there's only one opening for that position though, but maybe one of us will get it! 

Here's hoping! If you get it be sure to let me know so I'm not waiting in agony over here (;

Hey, guys! I've been a longtime lurker, but I thought I'd create an account to give an update on funding. I emailed Jessica Marr about funding offers (if they'd all gone out) a few days ago, and she replied, saying:

"  We made our first round of funding offers last week, and we are waiting to hear back from the prospective students to whom we have extended those offers.  It is our experience that a number of them will decide to go elsewhere, and I can assure you that your application for a funded associateship is still very much under active consideration.  The prospective students to whom we've offered funding have until April 15 to respond to the offer, although we hope that some of them will let us know earlier than that, especially if that would mean that we could make the offers to other excellent and deserving applicants. "

I also asked the typical hourly wages for these positions, and she said they were about $18/hour last year for 10 hrs/week. (So while I'm disappointed I didn't get an offer, I don't think I could've made it work in DC with that stipend alone.) Hope this information helps you guys out!

Hi!! I actually got admitted recently (which concerns me about funding, as it seems most offers went out end of February). Anyway, do y'all know if these funding offers typically cover tuition in addition to a stipend? 

3 hours ago, meh16 said:

Hi!! I actually got admitted recently (which concerns me about funding, as it seems most offers went out end of February). Anyway, do y'all know if these funding offers typically cover tuition in addition to a stipend? 

Yes, they cover tuition but it appears that the stipend is meagre. I have corresponded with Jessica Marr and all funding offers have been made last week. The rest of us are on a waitlist, but they are not releasing an official waitlist. I suspect that some people without funding will likely be offered funding in April, but it would be wise to begin exploring other options now, including financing Georgetown through other means. 

Edited by Diagon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone on here has been offered the Community Scholars teaching associateship, please respond to GT as soon as possible. Also, congrats! I'm waitlisted and cannot make plans/decide on my backup school until I hear back from GT. THANK YOU :):):)