Masters in sustainable energy development at Uni of Calgary

huangwh

Hello everyone, 

I am a 29yo Singaporean thinking of making the move over to Canada. Priorities would be obtaining employment and PR.

Recently I received an offer of admission to UofC's MSc Sustainable energy development. My bachelors is in mechanical engineering and I currently work as an oil well engineer. Naturally that makes Calgary a fine destination, given the oil sands. The government's recent push towards renewable energy should also provide more options in sustainable energy. My understanding is that the job market is still pretty poor in Calgary though, given the prolonged oil downturn. This would probably change in a couple of years, but it's still a gamble. 

I also applied for engineering masters at UofT and waterloo. Admission results will only be out late march onwards, whereas the UofC course starts in May, so I'm in a bit of a tight spot decision-wise. Pros for UofT and waterloo would better reputation due to their higher rankings. The more diverse and robust job market in Toronto is a plus too. 

Do Canadian employers place an emphasis on university reputation/rankings? Is it advisable to have a more general engineering education in order to secure a job, or should I take the risk of specializing in energy?

Thank you for any advice!