Michigan Ford 2017

TheSenator

Any idea when the Ford Schol might share admissions decisions? It seems they did it on March 7th last year. This waiting is a hell strain on my nerves. 

20 hours ago, Samir said:

Any idea when the Ford Schol might share admissions decisions? It seems they did it on March 7th last year. This waiting is a hell strain on my nerves. 

It seems like they are going to be sending out decisions later this year than they have the past two years. Last year was the 7th and the year before that I believe it was the 13th/14th. I have called their office multiple times over the past three weeks and they just keep saying, "we should be releasing decisions within the next few weeks". 

According to results search for previous years: 

2013: March 14 (2nd Thursday of March)

2014: March 13 (2nd Thursday of March) 

2015: March 10 (2nd Tuesday of March) 

2016: March 8 (2nd Tuesday of March) 

I'm still holding out hope they will stick to the apparent trend of the 2nd week of March, which would mean today or tomorrow. But that is only if you count last week as a "week"--I could see it going either way. 

Edited by sandover

1 hour ago, MPPfall2017 said:

Not to jump the gun, but does anyone know when Spring Preview is? The website hasn't been updated from last year when it was on Friday, April 8 - so maybe the 7th this year?

I've been trying to figure that out as well. Hesitant to call their office and ask, too superstitious haha. I think assuming the weekend of the 7th is a solid bet, especially considering how late their notification date is relative to other programs.

Hi everyone, I'd would like your advice on this as we wait for Michigan's decisions. I'm interested in international affairs, more specifically the middle east, human rights, and development. I have experience with the State Department and volunteer work with an NGO in Lebanon. I've been accepted to the following programs, which are better known for international policy specifically, but I'm not sure if I should consider them over Michigan. I went to Michigan for undergrad and still live in the state, so in-state tuition is a big factor, I know that Michigan is still very strong for international policy, but given that I strongly prefer to be in DC at State Department, or Lebanon with an NGO/the UN, I'm not sure if I should forgo my other choices for Michigan or not. I want to make this evaluation without funding being a factor, so I can weigh the actual programs for now.

Acceptances: 

Fletcher at Tufts - MA in Law and Diplomacy ($24k funding over two years) 

GWU - MA in Middle East Studies ($5k/year, still waiting on FLAS fellowship)

SAIS at Johns Hopkins University - MA program (no funding, still waiting on external fellowship)

and of course waiting for a reply from the Ford school. 

Any advice/thoughts/comments are appreciated! 

29 minutes ago, turkish coffee said:

I'm interested in international affairs, more specifically the middle east, human rights, and development. I know that Michigan is still very strong for international policy, but given that I strongly prefer to be in DC at State Department, or Lebanon with an NGO/the UN, I'm not sure if I should forgo my other choices for Michigan or not.

I can't say I know that much about international development/policy, but I think the major difference between the programs you've been accepted to and Ford is that Ford is the only MPP. I don't know if that makes a difference for what you want to do, but that is probably how I would consider comparing the schools since each program is going to give you different things.

I've also found past threads on Ford really helpful to read through. Here are a few: 

You have time to make a decision so it's not like you have to decide now and forego the other options while awaiting the decision from UMichigan. Hope this helps your process!

Thank you, sturdyelm! I'll definitely check out those threads. I went to Michigan as an undergraduate and actually grew up in Ann Arbor, so if you guys have questions that are related to campus life/the school in general and not specifically the MPP, happy to answer :)

Edited by turkish coffee

On 3/9/2017 at 9:44 AM, sandover said:

According to results search for previous years: 

2013: March 14 (2nd Thursday of March)

2014: March 13 (2nd Thursday of March) 

2015: March 10 (2nd Tuesday of March) 

2016: March 8 (2nd Tuesday of March) 

I'm still holding out hope they will stick to the apparent trend of the 2nd week of March, which would mean today or tomorrow. But that is only if you count last week as a "week"--I could see it going either way. 

Based upon the past timelines @sandover posted, it looks like tomorrow is a likely possibility.

Decisions will come out tomorrow, since only admitted MPPs can apply to this Ford fellowship, and it says the Fellowship application opens Tuesday, March 14. Wishing Ford could see all of our investigative research and analysis based on data we have found :P

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 6.26.08 PM.png

4 hours ago, turkish coffee said:

Decisions will come out tomorrow, since only admitted MPPs can apply to this Ford fellowship, and it says the Fellowship application opens Tuesday, March 14. Wishing Ford could see all of our investigative research and analysis based on data we have found :P

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 6.26.08 PM.png

Great work TC!!! Good luck to everyone tomorrow. 

Congrats you three that is incredibly exciting!!! Now I'll be refreshing my email every 30 seconds at work until I find something out.

Did anything change on your Wolverine Access page?

Edited by TheSenator