LSA Summer Institute

inrebusveritas

Thought I"d start a thread on this... I just registered for this summer in Kentucky (EEK - my bank account is not happy.) Anyone else here considering going? 

For some background, I'm applying for both masters and PhD programs this coming fall. I did a design-your-own major in undergrad, as my institution had no linguistics department, so I'm looking for some more solid grounding. If any of you have attended these - any advice on how to get the most out of it, reviews of your experience, or ideas about how it might affect my application? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a current Kentucky graduate student. I've never attended the Institute before but if you have questions about UK or Lexington I could help you out.

We're looking forward to hosting the Institute this summer.

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2017 at 8:21 PM, inrebusveritas said:

Thought I"d start a thread on this... I just registered for this summer in Kentucky (EEK - my bank account is not happy.) Anyone else here considering going? 

For some background, I'm applying for both masters and PhD programs this coming fall. I did a design-your-own major in undergrad, as my institution had no linguistics department, so I'm looking for some more solid grounding. If any of you have attended these - any advice on how to get the most out of it, reviews of your experience, or ideas about how it might affect my application? Thanks!

Hi inrebusveritas, I know this is an old thread, but I'm in your exact situation this year and curious about how things turned out for you! 

I designed my undergrad major in Arabic and linguistics (via Middle East studies + Psych depts) and now have a MA in Arabic studies. Planning to attend LSA in Davis this summer and apply for PhD programs in sociolinguistics this fall... I'm worried that my scant training in linguistics will not be enough for a competitive application. Did taking courses at LSA help your case? Any other advice? 

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Taking courses at the LSA Institute offers an unparalleled opportunity for exposure to a vast array of courses, professors, and students. If you are able to swing the cost, I highly recommend it (there are also very competitive scholarships — always worth a try!).

To be sure, it’s one of the best ‘networking’ opportunities a hopeful student has available to them. Most Summer schools only last for a week or two; the LSA Institute is a whole month. In my case (a few years ago), I made tons of friends (students and professors) which have lasted, and new friendships have spawned from those in the years since.

Going to a place like that, taking courses to your heart’s content and hanging out with linguists for a month, is a sure fire way to fall in love with the field if you still feel like you’re on the outside looking in. I can’t recommend it enough.

-

As far as PhD applications go, don’t worry too much. Just do what you think is interesting, put your heart into it, and send applications to places that you think will appreciate it, and appreciate you. :)

Edited by chomsk33t