Waitlisted.....ugh

Emarouk

Is anyone else in waitlist hell that wants to keep me company? I only applied to ONE program for my PhD because it's really the perfect fit for me. They accepted 5 and put 3 of us on the waitlist. Soooooooo close! They accept people off the waitlist every year, but I have no way of knowing if I'll be one of those lucky ones. So now more waiting, more obsessing, more making sure my Plan B is solid....

ugh, sorry to hear you didn't get a quick answer. I'm still holding out hope for you that this will be a successful application! 

I keep trying to think of useful, consuming activities to take my mind off the wait. Nothing really seems to help the time pass though. I just want to know what's going to happen. Am I doing Plan a, or Plan B, or Plan C-X,Y, Z? It's driving me so crazy. 

good luck!

Thanks folks... I'm trying to make sure I spend the waiting time making sure that my Plan B is really well organized. I live in family housing with my daughter at UW now (finishing up a couple master degrees) so if I don't get into the PhD, we have to move fairly immediately...and Seattle housing is no joke! At least home hunting will keep me occupied...

I am waitlisted at Upitt and I just have to tell myself that this wait be be super long and I may not hear back for a long time. I am trying to tell myself this over and over again :) I wish I knew how many people were waitlisted and I may reach out to ask at some point. It is a strange feeling to be so in between. 

9 minutes ago, jm2012 said:

I am waitlisted at Upitt and I just have to tell myself that this wait be be super long and I may not hear back for a long time. I am trying to tell myself this over and over again :) I wish I knew how many people were waitlisted and I may reach out to ask at some point. It is a strange feeling to be so in between. 

Ahhhhh isn't it a joy? At least UW gave me their numbers. They gave offers to 5 and there are 3 of us on the waitlist. The director did say that they take people off of the waitlist every year, but whether or not I'll be the lucky one, who knows? 

Good luck!

7 hours ago, jm2012 said:

What do you like about Upitt, got my MSW there? 

7 hours ago, Lois1955 said:

What do you like about Upitt, got my MSW there? 

I want to do my research on opioid addiction with Professor Cochran. I also know a current student who has told me extensively about the opportunities one has there. It would be an honor to go there...For sure. Did you like it?

Yes I did. But the MSW is different from the PhD experience. I did get into the PhD program there. Good luck on getting in. I have heard great things about the Professor you mentioned. 

Ugh, I am newly in the waitlist purgatory with you all... I was just waitlisted at my top choice school, which is a bummer, but I was also accepted to other programs that I like less but would still be happy with... So, now I'm not sure what to do! I feel very grateful to have options, but I want to make sure that I end up at the best fit/funding/etc. possible. They're saying they won't tell me until after 4/15 for my fave school... I'm sure it's a pretty huge no-no to say yes to a school and then take another offer later... I guess I should email and ask if there's any way I would find out sooner (assuming someone says no...) but I don't want to be too demanding! 

I feel like I've been waiting for so many months to just end up in more limbo. Ugh. 

Also, goodness, Seattle is so pricey! I applied to UW mostly because I love the city but was fairly sure that I wouldn't get in and that I might not be able to accept given the funding situation even if I did. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

3 hours ago, catsnbikes said:

Ugh, I am newly in the waitlist purgatory with you all... I was just waitlisted at my top choice school, which is a bummer, but I was also accepted to other programs that I like less but would still be happy with... So, now I'm not sure what to do! I feel very grateful to have options, but I want to make sure that I end up at the best fit/funding/etc. possible. They're saying they won't tell me until after 4/15 for my fave school... I'm sure it's a pretty huge no-no to say yes to a school and then take another offer later... I guess I should email and ask if there's any way I would find out sooner (assuming someone says no...) but I don't want to be too demanding! 

I feel like I've been waiting for so many months to just end up in more limbo. Ugh. 

Also, goodness, Seattle is so pricey! I applied to UW mostly because I love the city but was fairly sure that I wouldn't get in and that I might not be able to accept given the funding situation even if I did. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

They won't tell you until after 4/15??? Hmmmm that's a little odd because of rules around funding....I'm not sure how they are getting around that federal date. It's pretty ridiculous that they are trying to make you wait until AFTER you would have to give a decision to any other school. I totally get not wanting to seem demanding, but it does seem like maybe this is something worth communicating about. Will you be going to visit day? Maybe you could see what you can suss out in person? Ugh...sorry you're stuck in purgatory too!

Seattle IS expensive, but there are some good perks that come with UW. I work there doing research currently and am doing my MSW/MPA so we live in graduate family housing (I have a young daughter) and it is ridiculously cheap compared to normal rental prices here. I pay under $1K for a 2 bedroom townhouse. The university also covers half of my childcare, I get excellent insurance through the school, and researching there pays my tuition plus a pretty healthy stipend. We aren't wealthy by any stretch, but it totally works. My issue is how I would do Seattle without school... ha. I moved here from a project I was working on in Spain to begin graduate school so I haven't had to manage here without the help the UW gives...
What funding situation are you referring to at UW? It's guaranteed for 3 years and then you apply for dissertation funding. It is competitive for sure and a bit of a headache, but every person I interviewed when I was considering applying had gotten funding to finish without much issue. I'm fully planning on completing this in 4 years (if I get in) so I feel fairly confident about finding funding for that final year--I've already begun researching the landscape of funders, grants, partnerships, and options for what I want to do... And I hope to get a position as a TA too! 
I hope you get good news soon! It's great that you have some other options on the table. 

@EmaroukI really appreciate the information/feedback. I ended up emailing them yesterday to ask what they would do if someone else declines the offer before 4/15.  They haven't written back yet, but I do feel better asking and making my needs/situation known. I told them that they are still my first choice but that I do have other offers that I need to consider.  I never realized that the 4/15 date had any real teeth to it, but I did a little research after reading your post and I see now! I won't be able to go to visit day, it's all the way in Virginia and I'm in central Illinois (also, I wasn't invited...) I have communicated with the admin person and the program director a lot so hopefully they'll be willing to give me some more details! I don't want to keep anyone else on a waitlist for the programs I was accepted to any longer than I have to, but I want to make the best choice! 

About funding, I'm a first-gen student so all of this funding info is really new to me. I made some mistakes in my MSW program and ended up paying for the whole thing because I didn't know how to apply for assistantships until visiting day, and by that point they were all gone. I've learned a lot since, but cost of living is something I am highly aware of and Seattle is pricey (I have pets so usually grad housing isn't a good option for me, I'm too attached to my fur-babies!) so I was worried about housing mostly. 

I really hope that they let you in! It sounds like you're really raring to go and ready to make the most of the opportunity! It sounds like you're applying without the 2 years post-MSW experience too. I wonder how much that ends up mattering, they all said "preferred" but I kind of didn't even worry about it. Maybe I should have paid more attention to that in my essay. But now I'm just finding things to obsess about. 

Thank you again for the solidarity! Fingers crossed! 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, catsnbikes said:

Anyone had any good news? 

I heard from my potential advisor at upitt that I should be hearing sometime around the 15th....This is the final waiting I believe!!!! Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Be positive.

On another note, I applied for a scholarship and was pretty sure I would not get it. I ended up getting it. So the situation might turn out positive in the moment you expect it the least.

On 15 mars 2017 at 2:56 PM, catsnbikes said:

The other piece of advice I got recently is to ask for an extension from the 4/15 deadline from one school. I feel like I probably won't get it, but the worst thing they can say is no right? 

One month to go.... 

Yes, the worst thing that can happen is them saying no, but you can always reapply next year. That's what I always tell myself whenever I don't get an opportunity, a scholarship or a job. And it turns out that having that extra year to make my application stronger the next time was actually beneficial. If you don't get in this year, you'll be a stronger applicant next time if that's truly what you want.

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Emarouk said:

I ended up getting an offer from UW and accepting it. Now the nerves have set in....but I am excited!

That's fantastic! Congratulations!!! 

I feel you on the nerves thing.. as soon as some of the questions get answered there are a whole bunch more! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 4:15 PM, Emarouk said:

I ended up getting an offer from UW and accepting it. Now the nerves have set in....but I am excited!

Oh yay! Congrats! I was hoping the wait list would come through for you!