Email or Don't Email?

olayak

Hi,

The coordinator of one of the schools that I applied to told me that I could have a decision by March. My interview was at the end of January. However, during the interview the director of the program told me I will probably have a decision by April. The other program I applied to doesn't even start interviewing until April. 

So, do I email the coordinator and ask what my current status is? Or do I just suck it up and wait it out?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, KruMaew said:

It wouldn't hurt to email, to ask if they know when you can expect an answer. Just be polite and professional :) 

To play devil's advocate, I don't really see how it could help to email them either. Chances are, if they've already made a decision about you they'd probably notify you about it as soon as they could. And even if they are able to pinpoint a date when you will hear back with a definitive decision, you are still going to have to wait until that day to get your answer. I don't think knowing when that day will come will change much. In my own opinion, I prefer the excitement of "maybe I'll hear back today!" over "exactly two weeks to go until I hear back."

The fact of the matter is, a question like "when can I expect to hear back?" carries no urgency (unless you are being pressured to make a decision somewhere else, which you say is not the case here). It's also risky, because they have already answered it for you (albeit in two vaguely different ways). Sending an email asking this risks you coming off as impatient, inattentive, unconfident, or pushy, with no reward at all. I would really only send emails that will meaningfully impact either your application or your final choice of where to attend. It's natural to be curious and anxious about hearing back, but it's just something we all have to wait through.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this move but I called the admissions office of a school with a blocked number. The person who answered the phone (an admissions assistant) was able to give me a mailing date for letters, without me having to give my name. So, you might be able to get the information you want without any harm.

I called upitt just to ask them about a timeline and they were super friendly...I'm wait listed for for the PhD ! Here's hoping and fingers crossed that I get it

if you have not heard back, but have not been declined you are still being considered. Some schools don't tell you they have you on a waitlist. They don't want to turn you off, I am experiencing this myself. I am in one PhD program, but waiting on another. I maybe waiting for someone else to decline so I can get in or if I decline one of you may get in. It is a chess game at this point.