JD/MA

ItALO

Hey guys,

After doing soul-searching I realized that I can't possibly commit to studying philosophy for 12 years: 7 years doing a phd and 5 trying to get tenure. However, I still love philosophy and I'll be interested in learning how to apply philosophy with ruling a state. My life goal is to help my friend as he creates his own political party in our third world country hometown. 

Which JD/MA programs do you think would work best for this cause, if at all? Also I contacted the people at Duke and they said that no longer have an active JD/MA program.

Interesting projection of the time it'd take to become a tenured professor of philosophy (or perhaps tenure track). Sadly, that probably is fairly realistic. I'm pretty sure NYU and UVA have the strongest programs. They're both T14 law schools too. Georgia State also appears to have a program. Where you're able to go will depend on your LSAT score. Alternatively, you could just do an MA in philosophy somewhere, and try to get funding for it, and then do your JD. 

Edited by 753982

33 minutes ago, popsteady said:

Have you considered different kinds of doctoral programs, like the kinds focusing on both law and policy? Something like Northwestern's PhD program on Law and Public Policy, or Wharton's in Ethics & Legal Studies?

Berkeley's also got a Jurisprudence and Social Policy program that seems pretty excellent! 

On 2/28/2017 at 0:52 PM, 753982 said:

Interesting projection of the time it'd take to become a tenured professor of philosophy (or perhaps tenure track). Sadly, that probably is fairly realistic.

FWIW, the tenure clock is usually 7 years, and it's pretty standard for people to spend 2-5 years on the market first.

Toronto has a combined JD/PhD, which might work for you. McGill also offers LLMs in bioethics and in environment, in conjunction with the relevant departments. Depending on your interests, those might be relevant. Osgoode Hall at York (Canada) offers a JD/MA (in philosophy). Note that Osgoode is probably the top law school in Canada, and McGill and Toronto round out the top 3.