Chances of Admission

sparks101

Hey guys! I was unable to get accepted into my top program and am still waiting to hear back from a few others. 

I am thinking about reapplying but was wondering if I was competitive enough to re-apply for next cycle even if I havent taken any communication science courses. 

My stats are:

3.1 cummulative GPA (major in Chemistry) 

150 vr 149 qr 4.5 w GRE

25 shadowing hours (is this too little? how many hours do students normally apply with?)

Various volunteering/community service hours, but no experience in this field except for shadowing. 

Do I have to take specific communication science courses or can I still apply without taking them? I dont know if I can afford to take them. And how much experience do students typically have in this field before applying? I'm from a small town so a comm science major wasnt even offered at my university. Are there any agencies I can get in touch with to gain more experience in this field and do schools favor slp/comm science majors over other science majors?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! :)

Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you weren't admitted to your top choice. I know how that feels because I was denied from 5 different schools last year!

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. As for your stats, they are pretty low but that alone, I wouldn't be too discouraged by although it will play a big factor. My stats are actually pretty similar to yours and I was just offered admission and have accepted to OUHSC! I do have my bachelor's in communication sciences and disorders though.

As for communication sciences and disorders courses, usually the graduate programs will have prerequisites listed on their websites that you either have to take before being admitted or during your first year. Sometimes they will indicate that you had to have taken certain classes if you aren't a CDIS major.

Also, with all of your other credentials, I feel like you might want to do more than just shadowing for experience. As for myself, I was an assistant teacher at a school for children with hearing loss and communication disorders, volunteered with hearing screenings in my state, had experience as a student clinician in the SLP clinic at my school and was still denied admission the first year. But with determination, I reached out to different audiologist's and luckily one of them in my city offered me a position as an AUDA (licensed Audiology Assistant). I've been working as an AUDA for the past year and I believe that helped my application further. 

I hope I was able to help! Don't be discouraged if this is really what you want to do! Just tell yourself that you will do what it takes if this is your passion!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I was unable to get accepted into my top program and am still waiting to hear back from a few others. 

I am thinking about reapplying but was wondering if I was competitive enough to re-apply for next cycle even if I havent taken any communication science courses. 

My stats are:

3.1 cummulative GPA (major in Chemistry) 

150 vr 149 qr 4.5 w GRE

25 shadowing hours (is this too little? how many hours do students normally apply with?)

Various volunteering/community service hours, but no experience in this field except for shadowing. 

Do I have to take specific communication science courses or can I still apply without taking them? I dont know if I can afford to take them. And how much experience do students typically have in this field before applying? I'm from a small town so a comm science major wasnt even offered at my university. Are there any agencies I can get in touch with to gain more experience in this field and do schools favor slp/comm science majors over other science majors?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! :)

• 1 month later...

SUNY New Paltz offers communication disorders pre-requisite courses online, with no travel to the campus ever required. I'm going to grad school for SLP so I'm not familiar with AuD program pre-req requirements, but New Paltz does offer an under-graduate level audiology course online, in addition to speech science and aural rehabilitation. I took 10 courses there (finishing my last two now) as part of a post-bacc certificate program that they offer... meaning I was able to apply for a private student loan to cover the tuition because I am earning a certificate at the end of the program. I never visited the campus, just took my courses online a few each semester. I enjoyed the CMD417 (audiology) course.