Jobs outside if Academia?

PonderingSoc

Hey all, 

Just wondering about what one can do with a PhD in sociology outside of Academia :) I love sociology so much and I have always wanted to do a PhD, but in the event that I do so and cannot find a job as a professor, does anyone know of any other promising career paths for sociology PhD grads?:) Thanks!

1 hour ago, PonderingSoc said:

Hey all, 

Just wondering about what one can do with a PhD in sociology outside of Academia :) I love sociology so much and I have always wanted to do a PhD, but in the event that I do so and cannot find a job as a professor, does anyone know of any other promising career paths for sociology PhD grads?:) Thanks!

It obviously depends on your interests, but I know one thing I've considered (because of my interests in policy) is working at a think tank, on the Hill, or with a similarly-organized institution. Those places are always looking for experts in fields to do the research they need to carry out policy proposals.

You can work for the government in various ways (so depending on your interests), for nonprofits, for tech, for hospitals....there are lots and lots of jobs so it depends.  A lot of different types of companies and organizations need people who can conduct research (both qual and quant) and/or who can analyze data (again, qual/quant).  Even with just an MA you'll be able to get your foot in the door (as I am learning right now) and a few gigs pay even better than working as a tenure professor.  Hope this helps!