UW MSW 2017 Applicants

ryyc

7 hours ago, ryyc said:

Anyone here applied to UW's day program? I'm so anxious waiting for the results to come out! Anyone know when they'll be out? 

I did! I'm getting really anxious too! Their website says "by the end of March"... but I know they've started sending out some results... so really anytime this month? Gah! I'm going to be checking my email all the time!! 

I made a last min. decision to apply to UW's day program. The waiting for an acceptance or a rejection is killing me!

Has anyone applied to other MSW programs? If so, which ones? Also, would you mind sharing your stats (GPA, experience, etc.)? 

I was not planning on applying to an MSW program at this point in time (I was going to apply this coming Fall), however my supervisor at my internship persuaded me to give it a shot for this year. I will be graduating with my B.A. in Psychology, with a minor in Sociology this June. I have a decent GPA, 3.6, but not a lot of experience in social services. I know getting into UW is a long shot for me, but I hope there is some chance of me getting accepted. 

Would love to hear more about everyone! 

20 hours ago, Anne_Kathleen said:

Would love to hear more about everyone! 

Best of luck to you!! Did you apply anywhere else?

I did what you were planning on doing and graduated last summer and took this year off to work and apply. The schools I decided to apply to were UW, Portland, Berkeley, UCLA, UConn, Boston University and Boston College. I feel pretty good about my GPA 3.8, I didn't do the GRE and as far as experience goes I've done volunteering/internships, am currently working as a case worker and had social service related jobs in college. So far I've only heard from UConn where I was accepted, yay! But all the others say they'll get back to be by the end of March or start of April.

Thank you, and CONGRATS on UConn! I also applied to EWU as I wanted to only apply to schools within WA since this was such a last min decision. It's not the best MSW program out there, but I have heard decent things from students in it. Do you mind me asking what your undergraduate degree is in? I think the biggest worry of mine is lack of experience; that is why I wanted to wait a year to apply. If I do not get into/attend a program this year, I am planning on working and volunteering to get another year of experience under my belt. I will also be applying to schools out-of-state, mostly in CA. 

I won't be receiving any acceptances or rejection until late March, so the nail biting co tines until then. :) 

On 3/4/2017 at 4:53 PM, Anne_Kathleen said:

Thank you, and CONGRATS on UConn! I also applied to EWU as I wanted to only apply to schools within WA since this was such a last min decision. It's not the best MSW program out there, but I have heard decent things from students in it. Do you mind me asking what your undergraduate degree is in? I think the biggest worry of mine is lack of experience; that is why I wanted to wait a year to apply. If I do not get into/attend a program this year, I am planning on working and volunteering to get another year of experience under my belt. I will also be applying to schools out-of-state, mostly in CA.

I won't be receiving any acceptances or rejection until late March, so the nail biting co tines until then. :) 

Thanks! My undergrad degree was a BS in Psychology. I hope you do get in this year! but I understand why you might want to wait too! Experience is the area I would consider my weakest - so I think working and volunteering in the field is a great idea, not only because it would help you build your resume but it would also give you a better idea about what you do/don't want to do. Personally I feel like taking this year off to work I've learned a lot more about social work as a field and also gained skills I wouldn't have otherwise.

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us and everyone here!!

11 hours ago, Rose2017 said:

Thanks! My undergrad degree was a BS in Psychology. I hope you do get in this year! but I understand why you might want to wait too! Experience is the area I would consider my weakest - so I think working and volunteering in the field is a great idea, not only because it would help you build your resume but it would also give you a better idea about what you do/don't want to do. Personally I feel like taking this year off to work I've learned a lot more about social work as a field and also gained skills I wouldn't have otherwise.

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us and everyone here!!

Thanks for the reply :), it's really helpful to hear about other's backgrounds and experiences. 

Good luck to you! And good luck to everyone here! *fingers crossed*

On 3/2/2017 at 5:46 PM, ryyc said:

Anyone here applied to UW's day program? I'm so anxious waiting for the results to come out! Anyone know when they'll be out? 

I received my admissions to the day program on March 2 around 7pm. 

14 hours ago, hollyg5 said:

Can I ask what your GPA was? As my username says, I'm freaking out a little bit hahah

23 hours ago, hollyg5 said:

Actually, are you referring to Washington or Wisconsin? I was under the impression this thread is discussing Washington and I noticed you're in Madison.

6 hours ago, freakinout said:

Actually, are you referring to Washington or Wisconsin? I was under the impression this thread is discussing Washington and I noticed you're in Madison.

I am currently doing my undergrad at UW-Madison and was accepted to the University of Washington. Also, my GPA for the last 60 credits so far is a 3.75/4.0.

I applied to the MSW extended degree program...but I had missed the priority deadline (for the part time program they were still accepting applications until Feb 15 on a space available basis). Now I'm anxious to find out.

Since it was a last minute decision and I can't leave Seattle for family reasons, it's the only school I applied to. If I don't get in I will try again next year (maybe for the day program 2018) but I'd rather start this year!

For those that have been accepted, any hint as to what the email subject is? I get so much email daily I often scan the titles as I delete them - it would be great to know what to look for!

6 hours ago, hollyg5 said:

I am currently doing my undergrad at UW-Madison and was accepted to the University of Washington. Also, my GPA for the last 60 credits so far is a 3.75/4.0.

Hahaha well I hope one day you can say you went to both UWs! Congrats on your admission!

I applied to UW's day program as well and the wait is killlling me! I guess some people are already hearing back, but from prior forums decisions can go into April. 

I ended up only applying there and to Berkeley, which we are supposed to hear back from next week. I was going to apply to Boston as well but last minute decided to just stick with the other two.

Kind of wishing I had applied to a "safe" school, but apparently I used to be a confident person :rolleyes:

Argh the wait is really difficult! I have a 4.0 GPA for my last 90 units but my social service experiences are clearly lacking. I was a philanthropy chairman for my sorority, and also work as a Resident Assistant. I applied to UW, UCLA, UChicago and Columbia. Pretty worried. Has anyone else received any word? 

25 minutes ago, emcue said:

Just got my acceptance letter! 

Anyone accept their offer yet?

Letter... as in physical letter? Did your online information update as well? 

Just wondering because I have been checking online for an admissions decision, haven't even considered getting a letter lol.

56 minutes ago, KaylaJay said:

Letter... as in physical letter? Did your online information update as well? 

Just wondering because I have been checking online for an admissions decision, haven't even considered getting a letter lol.

Lol sorry! - an email*

3 hours ago, emcue said:

Just got my acceptance letter! 

Anyone accept their offer yet?

Congratulations!!!! Still waiting here ): When did you apply? 

1 hour ago, ryyc said:

Congratulations!!!! Still waiting here ): When did you apply? 

Thank you!! I applied on January 3rd. 

Hopefully there's good news your way soon!! Which program did you apply for?

15 hours ago, emcue said:

Thank you!! I applied on January 3rd. 

Hopefully there's good news your way soon!! Which program did you apply for?

Thanks! I applied for the day program hbu? What other schools did you apply for and is UW among your top choices? 

1 hour ago, ryyc said:

Thanks! I applied for the day program hbu? What other schools did you apply for and is UW among your top choices? 

Same! 

I applied to NYU, USC, and UC Berkeley. UW is definitely a top choice :) 

What about you?