Is there hope? CS PhD Fall 2017

abishekh

I'm waiting for responses from USC, UIUC and UoMichigan. I see that some people on the forum have already received responses from these schools. I tried to connect with a POI from UoM - he said he was interested but his schedule didn't work for an interview over skype. I'm wondering if I should hold out hope or just expect rejections from all three at this point ?  

Profile:

Masters in CS from USC.

GPA: 3.556

3 highly relevant research publications : 3rd author 

1 Year teaching exp. in the same area

TOEFL 118

GRE : 315

2 years work exp at relevant startups

Edited by abishekh

Is "UoM" UMich?

Anyway, yea I asked my MS adviser about what it means if I haven't heard from some of the schools (and others have) and he said if it wasn't a rejection I probably would have had some communication for them by now (interview, update, etc). But it is good news to have the POI reply to you, so I would still have some hope (he could have just ignored it if he knew you didn't have a chance). Also, since you obtained your MS from USC you should probably send feelers out to your adviser/other faculty you formed relationships with.

You aren't rejected until they reject you :-P, so don't give up now.

4 hours ago, abishekh said:

Looking at the decision status posts, I'm curious whether UIUC and UMich are done with announcing PhD admits for Fall 2017 ?

I think so for UMich at least, a friend of mine was accepted and is visiting there today as part of an admitted students event.

17 hours ago, .letmeinplz// said:

I think so for UMich at least, a friend of mine was accepted and is visiting there today as part of an admitted students event.

Thanks. I haven't heard back from all three of my applications - I'm expecting 3 rejects this week.