2017 Marine Bio/Marine Science/Oceanography Thread

shikkui

Hey all!  I'm posting to see if there are any other people on this board who are going to attend a graduate program in Marine biology and related topics starting in the Fall of 2017.  I got into a school that I was very interested in; I'm excited, and I wanted other people to talk with about the field/their schools!  I'm also very nervous as I'm going from a chemistry background into a biology heavy program, and I hope I'll be able to keep up.

Hi! Biology major here trying to get into a marine biology/oceanography program. I'm in a similar predicament, except I have a biology background and am hoping to start learning more about physical oceanography, climate science, and coding/modeling. I've applied to 3 programs and have yet to hear back from any of them. 

Congrats on the acceptance! Where have you applied/heard back? 

I'm doing my senior research project on how ice melting is impacting species in the Arctic, and learning about stratification and circulation dynamics has been fascinating to me. I've also seen a lot of cool research involving underwater drones to collect that sort of data, which is part of what lead me to looking into computer stuff as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from all my schools though, so we'll see what happens

2 hours ago, phylogenious said:

I was accepted to SIO for marine bio. Had really good contact with my POI and other faculty members. anyone else know where they're going next semester?

Congrats!  I'm excited for graduate school.  I wanted to do oceanography to get into the field work!  Are there any other oceanographers on this board?  I'm sure there are more of you on here.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:57 PM, phylogenious said:

having a solid foundation in chemistry will give you good perspective going into biology. it will give you a framework in which you can ask biological questions from. good luck with your program!

Thank you for the encouragement!  Good luck with your program as well!