On 10/03/2017 at 3:48 PM, ra42890 said:

Craziest backup plan: move to Saudi Arabia or Iraq to teach internationally for a year or two. Only problem is that I am gay and could be thrown in jail in those countries.

There are tons of countries that will allow you to teach internationally for a year or two. If that's your objective, then there's no need to limit yourself to those where the culture and laws don't agree with your lifestyle. I mean, I don't know your particular situation. For all I care, you could have personal reasons for choosing these countries. But in general, there are lots of opportunities to teach abroad in gay-friendly or at least not too homophobic nations.

My backup plan was to go to Mongolia/Inner Mongolia for a year to learn Mongolian, funnily enough. I was kind of excited about it, but it wasn't to be. I study it on the side, but it's tough without a native teacher or indeed any language partners.

I'm applying for a program which only two top tier unis offer. My backup plan would be applying to degrees in another discipline, which I am interested in, albeit on a smaller degree. The deadlines at some of the "lesser" unis are not as tight, so I could still apply. My only worry would be references, since I don't want to bother my professors even further. 

I have a bunch of back up plans if grad school falls through at some point in life. Some of them include:

• Community college instructor
  • Travel agent
  • Travel agent for romantic and sexy getaways
  • Sex therapist
  • Open a love hotel
  • Open a cat cafe that is also a cat rescue
  • Extend that cat cafe into a dog cafe

Whenever I feed sad I develop these crazy plans, like working with horses on a tourist ranch in Mongolia, or working for an NGO in the depths of the Peruvian Andes. However my rational self tells me to stay put and work so I'll be financially prepared if I get into gradschool at one point.

I've been working at a callcenter for about 6 months now which originally was only a temporary solution between graduation and gradschool. However, now I've been rejected I'm starting to think I should get a more advanced job. Not only to increase my pay but also to develop myself professionally in case I never get into gradschool (its better to be prepared). In the Netherlands the job market is so thight that a university degree means very little, especially a degree in archaeology. Iget rejected for everything I apply for unless its other callcenter jobs. Ain't life swell :P 

to move on and not let getting into grad school define my life. The ecological sciences are so poorly funded especially under this current administration I don't even think its worth it anymore. Probably should move to Canada. I financially cannot afford to take a gap year. Getting a temporary bio tech job is harder than one thinks. Most of the science jobs I have been interviewed for are permanent and employers want to people who will demonstrate loyalty. I will probably have to take underpaid internships just to keep my skills relevant but I definitely cannot afford to do that. 

@rth1995 One of my profs is a chef turned biologist! You can do it if you want to.

My craziest one was definitely to become a sculptor and make some of my art dreams come true or work at an ecotourism resort for temporary funds. 

I was considering moving to Brooklyn to live with my crusty punk friends and try to scrape my way into a museum job or (hopefully paid) internship.

I don't really have a lot going for me as far as a familial support system so I'd be taking a massive chance in using what little savings I have to get to a region with notoriously high costs of living and would likely have to break things off with my partner.

I currently live in the Midwestern US, where career opportunities are nearly zero, and in the Southern part of Illinois (of all places) - very far from Chicago. Far from anything but corn.

My backup was my actual plan, and my (actually crazy) "whatever, I'll only apply to my two dream programs this year just to get myself motivated" plan panned out, weirdly enough.

I was planning on applying to Trinity College Dublin's PG Diploma in Old Irish and heading off to dear, dirty Dublin for next year-- somewhat sad I can't do it, but c'est la vie.

And because anxiety more or less dictates everything I do, I do in fact have a plan B and a plan C in place if things don't work out (for whatever reason) where I'm headed. Plan B is the perfectly rational plan of transferring to UConn and working with a different person in my field, one who is slightly more interested in the sorts of sources that I do than my current advisor. Plan C is to change fields entirely, going into Early American History and returning to my alma mater and work with a delightful colonialist I had had as an undergrad. Plan C is basically the security blanket plan.

• 5 months later...

This thread might be a couple of months old, but I feel I need to contribute my own crazy backup plan(s). I just started pursuing a master's and I plan on applying to Ph.D. programs when the times comes. If I don't get into any of the schools I apply to (if I don't try again) I'll probably follow my second dream and go to school for Classical Studies or East Asian Studies with a focus on Japan. Or, alternatively, I could move to Scotland's west coast and open up a cute little inn (which has always been one of my dreams)

• 2 months later...

While doing my masters, one of my profs told us that archaeologists at any stage in their careers always need a Plan B. So, I've had mine planned for years. Plan B is museum work (doing it now, my job would love to keep me if I don't get into PhD). Plan C is move back to Italy, follow the family tradition, and become a seamstress.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year it was the Peace Corps or a job. Even the Peace Corps rejected me after interviewing (it was a rough year emotionally after that topped 7 PhD program rejections). Luckily I’m  a licensed Therapist and working in a job I love now, so I’m not too hurt anymore. The year really took a turn for the best after June. BUT this year I am reapplying to PhD programs and the Peace Corps, again. 2nd time’s a charm, right? Lol

I have a slew of backup plans, ranked from most to least outlandish:

-Become a shepherd in the foothills of Catalunya 

-Open a bagel truck where I make fresh bagels and sell them with interesting flavors of cream cheese

-Teach English abroad

-Teach English in the US

-Taking the prerequisite courses for a speech language pathology degree and then applying for Masters/PhD programs in that

I've thought quite a lot about this.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:37 PM, Banstaraí said:

My backup was my actual plan, and my (actually crazy) "whatever, I'll only apply to my two dream programs this year just to get myself motivated" plan panned out, weirdly enough.

I was planning on applying to Trinity College Dublin's PG Diploma in Old Irish and heading off to dear, dirty Dublin for next year-- somewhat sad I can't do it, but c'est la vie.

And because anxiety more or less dictates everything I do, I do in fact have a plan B and a plan C in place if things don't work out (for whatever reason) where I'm headed. Plan B is the perfectly rational plan of transferring to UConn and working with a different person in my field, one who is slightly more interested in the sorts of sources that I do than my current advisor. Plan C is to change fields entirely, going into Early American History and returning to my alma mater and work with a delightful colonialist I had had as an undergrad. Plan C is basically the security blanket plan.

Go Irish! Gotta love that South Bend winter!

My craziest backup plan is to either work in Germany or apply to universities over there. I've been working on my German but I still have a ways to go. Either way, money and other obstacles will probably keep this a dream. It is always nice to think about though.

My other plan is to look for jobs related to my field out of state. Applying for fall 2019 is also another option. If all else fails, I will probably work towards taking over my father's small construction business when he retires. 

A few backup plans, the craziest (and least realistic) of which is to move to another country (I like Scotland) and open a patisserie. I'm a biologist by trade but baking is my hobby and I've found that I'm actually quite good at it, I think in part because baking is really all about chemistry and precision. 

My more realistic backup plans include:

Getting my teaching certification and teaching high school science

Going back to my undergrad institution and getting a Master's

Applying to any and all biology-related jobs that strike my interest (park ranger jobs, non-profit conservation groups, science writing, research tech, whatever I come across that sounds cool.) 

I have a current research position and I have been told that if I don't get into any graduate programs I can still work here, but it's not a place I want to stay long-term so I would most likely work until I figured out what the next step was. Hopefully I get in somewhere though and don't have to worry about it :) 

I just started a "plan B" myself. This forum is so comforting, I swear. I feel like so much LESS of a lunatic right now.

My backup plans:

- Stick it out, apply next year.

- Do something clinical instead of research, maybe master's instead of PhD (like occupational therapy).

- Go totally sideways and go to school for bakery and patisserie, bc I really love to bake. Don't you roll your eyes at me! ;)

- My mom has an amazing and huge antique business, and I could easily help her run and manage it. And spend time with her, which would be great.

- Stay in my current field a while longer and put in additional work to bank some cash. Invest, maybe do property rentals.

8 hours ago, andnothing said:

My craziest backup plan is to either work in Germany or apply to universities over there. I've been working on my German but I still have a ways to go. Either way, money and other obstacles will probably keep this a dream. It is always nice to think about though.

My other plan is to look for jobs related to my field out of state. Applying for fall 2019 is also another option. If all else fails, I will probably work towards taking over my father's small construction business when he retires. 

Germany is scary hard to get a job in. I know a German historian with a PhD that’s currently selling trinkets at the Christmas market, teaching English, and selling Christmas trees- all at the same time because none of them pay. 

Stay another year abroad; join a lab here, learn the language, publish at least 2 of my manuscripts that I'm working on, and 2/3 that could be worked into a publication. We'll see. 

I've always wanted to open a coffee/teahouse where I make fresh stroopwafels :P I think I have a market here for that tbh. 

11 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Stay another year abroad; join a lab here, learn the language, publish at least 2 of my manuscripts that I'm working on, and 2/3 that could be worked into a publication. We'll see. 

I've always wanted to open a coffee/teahouse where I make fresh stroopwafels :P I think I have a market here for that tbh. 

If you add poffertjes en oliebollen, I will be there every single day! Oh, and waffles. Real American Hot Dogs like they have at museumplein! Stamppot! Bitterballen! Speculaas! Okay, I may have a Dutch food obsession. You know the Hot Dogs I’m talking about? They are German brats on buns with curry ketchup, spicy mustard, pickles, and fried onions.  They are to die for. 

Boyfriend and I have talked about opening a “travel” restaurant if our plans fall through. We would serve traditional food from various places in Europe that you just can’t find in the States, rotating days. REAL German, Dutch, English, Italian, French, Spanish, and Icelandic foods. I know a lot of people up here that would kill you and your grandma for real stamppot or Currywurst, Berliner Döner, Napoli pizza, Roman spaghetti, muffins with clotted cream, fish and chips, a good Tapas, croissants and espresso, lamb, salmon, lutefisk, latkes.