Post your Final Choice! (2017)

Hi Guys!

Thought it would be nice to have a thread of people actually listing where they've decided on once they accept an offer. We may even find our future classmates in here!

So, once you've accepted an offer, fill this out for in there!

Acceptances you had:

Research Area:

Final Choice:

Reason:

• 3 weeks later...

Acceptances you had: UCONN, Albany, Umass Amherst

Research Area: Women and Children issues, Middle East, Military Families 

Final Choice: Umass

Reason: I really liked the faculty there. The drive wasn't horrible (unlike Albany), and it was a top 30 program (unlike UCONN). 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!

Acceptances: University of Kentucky, University at Albany (SUNY), Indiana University Bloomington, freestanding MA at Columbia

Research Area: Inequalities in Education, Gender, Secondary Education

Final Choice: IUB :) 

Reason: overall fit, location, it was my top choice 

I finally got off the waitlist yesterday... I'm so excited!

After getting off the waitlist my final choice is: Emory University

Research Areas: Education, Mental Health, and Music

Reason: Overall awesome fit, loved the faculty (one even does specific research on the intersection of music and mental health)

I was also waitlisted at Ohio State University, but Emory was definitely the right choice for me

5 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

Finally!

Acceptances: University of Kentucky, University at Albany (SUNY), Indiana University Bloomington, freestanding MA at Columbia

Research Area: Inequalities in Education, Gender, Secondary Education

Final Choice: IUB :) 

Reason: overall fit, location, it was my top choice 

I finally got off the waitlist yesterday... I'm so excited!

Congratulations! I did my undergrad at IUB. Great department and great place to live! 

Acceptances you had: New Mexico, Utah, Washington State (off of waitlist), Arizona (off of waitlist)

Research Area: Cultural Maintenance, Globalization, Indigenous Sovereignty, Social Movement, Race and Ethnicity, Education

Final Choice: Arizona!

Reason: After waiting for a week knowing I was first on the waitlist, Arizona just sent me my official offer! It's definitely late in this nail-biting season, but the opportunities I will have at Arizona are unmatched. The DGS was VERY transparent in the process and extremely helpful, which was honestly a godsend and a sign of a cooperative, friendly, and prestigious place to study that wasn't so... 'east-coast'. I couldn't be more excited! 

Edit: Tucson is freaking hot which scares me, but its a large city with a lot of opportunities outside of the immediate university. Another deciding factor.

Edited by limonchello
Additional reason

11 hours ago, limonchello said:

Acceptances you had: New Mexico, Utah, Washington State (off of waitlist), Arizona (off of waitlist)

Research Area: Cultural Maintenance, Globalization, Indigenous Sovereignty, Social Movement, Race and Ethnicity, Education

Reason: After waiting for a week knowing I was first on the waitlist, Arizona just sent me my official offer! It's definitely late in this nail-biting season, but the opportunities I will have at Arizona are unmatched. The DGS was VERY transparent in the process and extremely helpful, which was honestly a godsend and a sign of a cooperative, friendly, and prestigious place to study that wasn't so... 'east-coast'. I couldn't be more excited! 

Edit: Tucson is freaking hot which scares me, but its a large city with a lot of opportunities outside of the immediate university. Another deciding factor.

I'm going to Arizona too! Nice to meet you here. My research interests lie at gender & career, org, culture and a bit of social psych.

See you at Tucson!

I am sorry for my earlier post. Something went wrong when I tried to edit.

Acceptances you had: University of Washington-Seattle (5 years of full funding package with 1 year of fellowship), Brown University (5 years of full funding package with 2 years of fellowship), Oxford University (2 years of MPhil with fellowship + 2 years of DPhil with fellowship conditional upon successful MPhil), University of Toronto (PhD waitlisted)

Research Area: Immigration, Demography, Political Sociology, Education, Quantitative Methods

Final Choice: Brown University

Reason: Oxford and Brown offered me better financial support compared to UW-Seattle. In the end, I thought getting a more systematic PhD education in the US would be better for me. I also thought I would have better chances of getting an academic position with a US PhD degree. 

On 4/13/2017 at 7:24 PM, limonchello said:

My dear friend will be in your cohort. Congrats and have tons of fun!

Acceptances you had: SUNY at Buffalo and Rutgers University

Research Area: Culture (specifically, media)

Final Choice: Rutgers!!

Reason: I got off of the waitlist last minute, and Rutgers was my first choice.

Acceptances you had: Rutgers, Emory (off of waitlist)

Research Area: Culture, Social Capital/Social Networks, Medical Sociology, Qualitative Methods

Final Choice: Emory

Reason: Got off of the waitlist last minute!! I emailed Emory's DGS a week before April 15th, and he told me that I was the top waitlister and asked me to hold off making any decision about Rutgers. So I waited until April 15th, and finally got off of the waitlist! The sociology department of Rutgers is also great, but Emory is a better fit for me. I love the friendly faculty there (the DGS is extremely nice) as well as the location and weather of Atlanta!

On 2017/4/14 at 2:53 AM, jojokitty47 said:

After getting off the waitlist my final choice is: Emory University

Research Areas: Education, Mental Health, and Music

Reason: Overall awesome fit, loved the faculty (one even does specific research on the intersection of music and mental health)

I was also waitlisted at Ohio State University, but Emory was definitely the right choice for me

I am also going to Emory! Looking forward to seeing you in the fall!

Acceptances you had: Rutgers University New Brunswick, University of California Santa Barbara

Research Area: Gender, Sexuality, Embodiment, Social Psychology 

Final Choice: Rutgers! 

Reason: 

• Funding: Rutgers offered me two years of university fellowship at 25k per year and three years of teaching assistantship at 26k per year, far more attractive than the package offered by UCSB (~16k per year, heavy teaching loads for all but the first two quarters). When accounting for the exorbitant travel and moving costs and the marginally higher cost of living, UCSB's package bordered on insulting. 
  • Faculty/Fit: Even with the recruitment of Tristan Bridges, UCSB's impending departures of Verta Taylor and Beth Schneider tanked their Sex & Gender ranking and would have displaced me within the department. While UCSB's department seemed a bit sterile and disjointed, Rutgers' was cohesive and incredibly warm. The latter is not as renowned for gender, but there are several professors I can envision on my committees.
  • Location: After a miserable 17 hour trek to Santa Barbara from Philly I never, ever want to see another palm tree or cactus lined property. Some perks of being a New Jersey native attending the flagship university include commuting an hour from my hometown to New Brunswick and lunch dates with my sister, a Rutgers undergrad whose dorm overlooks the sociology building on campus.
Edited by Spirits of Lavender

7 hours ago, Keithkwok said:

Acceptances you had: UIUC, Brown, Western Ontario (Canada)

Research Area: Family Demography, Social Inequality, Quantitative Methods

Final Choice: Brown

Reason: Five years of full funding including the first-year fellowship, better than the other two offers. Actually I am more interested in UCI or UCD or Arizona for their warm and dry climate, but none of them accepted me. I will miss the hotel California.

BTW, my application status at Ohio State still says "pending". Does that mean I still stand a chance?

Most likely something went awry on the adminstrative side. I'd email to be sure, but I'd assume rejection.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:28 AM, Keithkwok said:

Acceptances you had: UIUC, Brown, Western Ontario (Canada)

Research Area: Family Demography, Social Inequality, Quantitative Methods

Final Choice: Brown

Reason: Five years of full funding including the first-year fellowship, better than the other two offers. Actually I am more interested in UCI or UCD or Arizona for their warm and dry climate, but none of them accepted me. I will miss the hotel California.

BTW, my application status at Ohio State still says "pending". Does that mean I still stand a chance?

I also have the Ohio state pending ...it means at one point we were waitlisted idk if we still are, but at some point we are.