Doomed Forever b/c of GPA?

whybanana

I'm graduating soon and I feel like I'm constantly on the brink of a meltdown. 

I want to pursue a PhD more than anything, but my GPA is really holding me back. Though I go to a top institution, and have taken Honors courses in almost every STEM course, my GPA is stuck at approximately 3.25, which might go up to a 3.3 by the time I graduate. I have a very high GRE, but it seems like most people do anyway.

I know that I am capable of much more. My story is not unique, and I don't like excuses, but I lost someone very dear to me during my first semester of college, and continued to suffer the loss (and other personal issues) for the next two years. By the end of junior year, I had gotten a handle on some of these issues and managed to boost my grades. 

I'm currently running my own research project, and have amazing recommendations from professors I have done research with. I am extremely close to being first author on a high impact journal publication (of a project I conceived and designed; to be published later this year), and am a very well respected member of the research community at my university. 

I did not apply to PhD programs because I felt that they were too much of a reach, considering my GPA.  I have a few remaining options:

1. I was offered a research position at the lab I currently work at, but I'm not sure if I want to take it.

2. I'm applying to top UK one-year research programs, but I'm not sure if they will take me because of my grades.

3. I might apply to a Masters program in the US to boost my grades in preparation for a PhD application.

What should I do? I'm terrified that I'll be left with no chance at a PhD in the next two years.

2 hours ago, whybanana said:

I want to pursue a PhD more than anything, but my GPA is really holding me back. Though I go to a top institution, and have taken Honors courses in almost every STEM course, my GPA is stuck at approximately 3.25, which might go up to a 3.3 by the time I graduate. I have a very high GRE, but it seems like most people do anyway.

I know that I am capable of much more. My story is not unique, and I don't like excuses, but I lost someone very dear to me during my first semester of college, and continued to suffer the loss (and other personal issues) for the next two years. By the end of junior year, I had gotten a handle on some of these issues and managed to boost my grades. 

I'm currently running my own research project, and have amazing recommendations from professors I have done research with. I am extremely close to being first author on a high impact journal publication (of a project I conceived and designed; to be published later this year), and am a very well respected member of the research community at my university. 

I did not apply to PhD programs because I felt that they were too much of a reach, considering my GPA.  I have a few remaining options:

1. I was offered a research position at the lab I currently work at, but I'm not sure if I want to take it.

2. I'm applying to top UK one-year research programs, but I'm not sure if they will take me because of my grades.

3. I might apply to a Masters program in the US to boost my grades in preparation for a PhD application.

What should I do? I'm terrified that I'll be left with no chance at a PhD in the next two years.

I just wanted to let you know that I just got in to Harvard with a 3.2 undergrad GPA (and a 4.0 MSc GPA). And I'm an international applicant :) 

It happens! You are not doomed :) I'm not on an adcom committee, so it's hard for me to say what aspects of my package offset my low UGPA, so I'll just give you everything:  

-MSC in Biomedical Sciences at a top international institution (2 years 80% research, 20% coursework, full thesis) graduated with 4.0 and highest distinction

-2 years of research at a top institution after the MSc (in the USA)

-5 publications (none from undergrad), two first-author, none in any insane journals, but a few in mid-tier journals

-High GRE (>90th percentile in all sections)

-some unique extracurricular activities

-Killer reference letters, one from an influential and highly-respected person in my field of interest

Please feel free to message me if you wana talk in more detail about anything :) 

Did you apply to any programs this year, or are you planning for next cycle? Perhaps it's the extra degree I obtained to show I could do well in school, but whatever it was your UGPA will not hold you back if you don't let it! You've got the GRE scores, you've got good letters of recommendation, you've got your name on a high-impact paper and it sounds like you've got some solid undergrad experience. 

Perhaps a one year program or MSc will seal the deal in showing an adcom at a top-tier institute that you're academically capable, but you might not even need to do that for many programs. I overshot and really tried to compensate for my UGPA for several years before I threw down my applications for big programs, and it paid off! But perhaps all those years weren't required to score me a spot at a good school.

At any rate, your "low" UGPA isn't going to hold you back!

Edited by Nomad1111

2 hours ago, Nomad1111 said:

I just wanted to let you know that I just got in to Harvard with a 3.2 undergrad GPA (and a 4.0 MSc GPA). And I'm an international applicant :) 

[...]

At any rate, your "low" UGPA isn't going to hold you back!

Similar success story here, "low" uGPA and even just a "decent" msGPA and got into a PhD program at a top school for my major. Research (and the connections you make while doing it) is much more important than GPA. 

Edited by .letmeinplz//

Echoing what's already been said.  My uGPA is ~3.0, but a master's degree from a respected institution w/ good GPA (>3.8) gave me a shot at solid programs.  By the way, I dunno if your undergrad institution was in the U.K., but I had a 2:2 out of undergrad and I thought it was the end of my grad school road.  Now I have a PhD offer from UCL.

Things that helped me: authorship (not first author), poster presentation at a respected conference in my field, designing a new prep in my master's lab (which I wrote a bit about in my SoP), at least one very influential LoR, and proven experience with techniques relevant to my research interests.  

I wasn't successful everywhere I applied, but I've been admitted to a handful of very good programs.  I'm sure you'll have a similar or better outcome down the road.  I suggest you get a mentor to look over your SoP when you get to that point.  

Good luck!

3 hours ago, .letmeinplz// said:

Similar success story here, "low" uGPA and even just a "decent" msGPA and got into a PhD program at a top school for my major. Research (and the connections you make while doing it) is much more important than GPA. 

Agree!

My situation is defintiely similar to yours. I go to a top university in the US an graduated with a 3.2 gpa. I worked as research tech for two years and got a few conference abstracts as first authors and a paper published as second author (and one first author paper in prep). I applied to phd programs this cycle and although most places didn't want me (I aimed really high, ucsf, harvard etc.) I was offered admission at one place. So definitely do not be discouraged by your gpa. It is possible when you work for it. However, I do feel that my success rate would be higher if I had done a masters adn redeem my gpa instead of a lab tech, but that's up to you to decide if you want to spend money or get a full time job.

Edited by cmykrgb

Echoing the sentiments above, I have a ~3.3 cumulative GPA (largely influenced by hardships my first few years in school) and slightly above average GRE scores, but I had good research experience, thoughtful statements, and great letters of recommendation. This allowed me to get into PhD programs at schools like Berkeley and UCSF even though some of my stats weren't ideal. Play your strengths and make it clear that you didn't give up on your goal while going through a hard time. Perseverance and resilience are traits that will help you survive in grad school. I think if you can demonstrate that you've continued working toward your PhD, even if that means being a tech for more experience or doing a masters, you have the opportunity to tell your story in a way that makes you a really appealing, dedicated candidate.

Also, if you can afford it or qualify for application waivers, go ahead and apply to a couple of PhD programs you'd like to attend. I applied to top tier, medium tier schools, and lower tier schools. I got some rejections from all three tiers, but am genuinely happy with the opportunities I have. However, if I didn't take a chance I wouldn't be in this position. I highly suggest giving it a go, you never know what the admissions committee is looking for.

Edited by rockyMicrobe
typo

Just adding my voice to the choir, but I'm headed to Baylor College of Medicine PhD in the Fall, and my cGPA is a 3.1. I had great letters of rec, an okay GRE (167 verbal/156 quant), one first author publication, and three years of research. No interim years as a research tech and no masters degree. I did start a company, but most people I spoke with on the interview trail said that while my work experience was interesting, it was not the thing that got me there. I did end up getting shut out from the "top-tier" programs I applied to (e.g. Stanford, UPenn), so if a top five is your singular goal then maybe a masters is in order, but I had interviews at Baylor, Dartmouth, and Brown, which I think are pretty well regarded depending on the program.

Just make sure to knock your SoP out of the park and you'll be fine!

There's still hope! I got into 3 different schools this cycle all ranked between top 5 to top 15 in the country. I graduated with a 3.27. My last year gpa was actually around 2.9. I took two years off did full time research and applied to programs broadly. Although there will definitely be programs that look over you because gpa if you can try to do these things it will help you a lot.

1. Explain any hardship you had that caused your gpa to be low. So important!!!!

2. Rockout your gre and use it to balance out your gpa and include that although your gpa is low your gre shows you are capable of learning. (Despite the fact that correlations between gre and graduate school success are minuscule at best)

3. Do full time research/post bac if you don't want to go the masters route. All my projects haven't worked but im able to go in depth about every topic related to my projects and this impressed every adcom I interviewed with. Additionally, working in a lab full time just makes you think differently and actively so that when adcom members talk about their research you can naturally follow up. Showing that you can think like a scientist will impress on the interview trail. 

4. Apply broadly and don't limit yourself by your gpa. There's also alot of ways to get free applications.  If there is a graduate school fair attend it and tell programs how interested you are and ask for a few waiver. Out of 10 schools i paid for 2. The broader you apply the more likely you are for a program to take a chance. 

5. Same as 1 but so important im saying it twice. Don't hide from your gpa. Address it in all your applications and talk about why it happened and what changes you have made since then. If you don't explain why it's low schools won't care and your applications will get dropped. Don't make it sound like your being whiny or it wasn't your fault. No matter the hardship own up to it and tell how you've grown and why those issues are no longer an issue for you. 

Good luck on your grad school journey!

18 hours ago, whybanana said:

Edited by KR Marksmen
Typos. There are probably more i missed

Thank you all! Just a quick add-on - I got to meet with the director of a research program (grad degree route) at a top program in the UK. He looked over my CV, research experience and personal statement (though not my grades) and was very impressed, but I'm afraid that once he sees my grades he'll back away. Is this likely? I know that it's nearly impossible to tell, but if he liked everything else about me, would that be enough to gain admission?

21 hours ago, whybanana said:

Thank you all! Just a quick add-on - I got to meet with the director of a research program (grad degree route) at a top program in the UK. He looked over my CV, research experience and personal statement (though not my grades) and was very impressed, but I'm afraid that once he sees my grades he'll back away. Is this likely? I know that it's nearly impossible to tell, but if he liked everything else about me, would that be enough to gain admission?

IMO, your GPA is not low enough for him to "back away" at that point.  

On 3/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, LoveMysterious said:

IMO, your GPA is not low enough for him to "back away" at that point.  

9 hours ago, The Precambrian Rabbit said:

My advisor once told me that anything above 3.3 is equivalent. On top of that I also believe post-bac research experience helps a lot. Do not give up!

Thanks! The UK institution I'm applying to is kinda vague with their US grade requirements (3.00 - 3.25 or more for selective US institutions, and above 3.3 from other universities). My current institution is considered selective, so I think I'm safe, but I guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

You might not be able to get into a top 10 school, but don't  sweat it. Leave a paper-trail of excellence after your graduation. This will include working as a lab technician and getting publications, work hard and pretend you're a grad student. Get involved in the science and be enthusiastic about your research. That is what I did, and I was admitted to a top 40 program with 2.73 uGPA. 

Edited by baren