Berkeley Goldman MPP 2017

Foj

4 minutes ago, Palolem said:

Have you gotten emails or the application portal status changed? Or both?
I haven't received anything yet. 

I received an email a little over an hour ago. No change to application portal. Hang in there!

Hey @mfmpp thanks. The big question on my mind is managing finances as an international student. I have not been offered any aid, so what do you think is the norm? How easy is it to secure TA/RA positions, and do they waive off tuition? As in, what percentage of costs would such things be able to cover?

8 minutes ago, devx said:

Hey @mfmpp thanks. The big question on my mind is managing finances as an international student. I have not been offered any aid, so what do you think is the norm? How easy is it to secure TA/RA positions, and do they waive off tuition? As in, what percentage of costs would such things be able to cover?

Same^

Will not be able to take out such a huge loan. Are there any other scholarships to look forward to? 

It seems like if you snag a GSI position you can get tuition remission. Does that mean all of tuition is covered or just part? How competitive are those positions. It's definitely not something to count on in making a decision since you don't find out until the fall if you get one. @mfmpp

There are a few types of academic positions at Cal:

• Graduate Student Instructor (GSI, like a TA)
  • Graduate Student Researcher (GSR, like a RA)
  • Reader (grader)
  • and Tutor.

There are a lot of each, so if you'll probably be able to get one if you want one (especially if you're well-versed in a particular subject).  Or not, some people I know got random GSI positions they had no background in which case you basically take the class along with the undergrads and stay a week ahead of them.  GSIs are easier to get than GSRs and readers are common too.

You'll get some kind of tuition and fee remission if you work above 24% time (about 10 hours a week).  The more you work, the more remission you get.  The highest amount is 50% (40 hours a week) where you get full fee remission and a hefty chunk of tuition waived (I think full out of state tuition) along with some kind of salary.  More authoritative information here: http://grad.berkeley.edu/financial/graduate-student-employment/guide/

GSPP doesn't have tremendous financial resources and if you didn't get some kind of award upon your admission it's not likely you'll get one in the future.  I'm not sure what external opportunities there or what opportunities there are on the university level.

Re funding for admit day, I'd check with Martha Chavez, the dean of students (martha_chavez@berkeley.edu).

Edited by mfmpp

Also -- while you won't be able to secure a position before you have to make a decision about choosing GSPP -- it's possible to get a position over the summer before you start classes. One person in my cohort got a GSR position in June.

One of the GSPP staff will begin forwarding you announcements of positions in May or so and you're free to begin applying to them then.

59 minutes ago, mfmpp said:

You'll get some kind of tuition and fee remission if you work above 24% time (about 10 hours a week).  The more you work, the more remission you get.  The highest amount is 50% (40 hours a week) where I think you get full fee remission and a hefty chunk of tuition waived (I think full out of state tuition) along with some kind of salary.  

Thanks so much. Just curious, can one put in 50% work if one wants to or depends upon the position? Point is, if I am willing to push my limits, is it possible get these opportunities? Also, are international students are in way at disadvantage when it comes to these positions?

Highly doubt you'd be at a disadvantage as an international student, though I don't know if there are rules regarding visas or the like that affect your work eligibility.

If you're asking whether you can increase the amount of time of your appointment -- like if you're offered a 25% time position and you want to expand it to a 50% time position -- I don't think that's something you can do.

Also, if you end up working more than your assigned hours -- like working more than 10 hours with a 25% appointment -- you're not paid more.

Edited by mfmpp

@mfmpp For an out of state student, how much debt do you think students will be in if they have a GSI / GSR position? I'm basing my guesses off the fee remissions site (http://grad.berkeley.edu/financial/fee-remissions/) and the fee schedule site (http://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-fees-residency/tuition-fees/fee-schedule#pubpol) but it seems like with even partial fee remission, tuition is semi-affordable.  

Agree. If you work at 50% time each semester and get in-state tuition for your second year (you will) then your debt load should be very manageable.

IMO, what makes Berkeley expensive is more the cost of living in the East Bay than the tuition and fees.

Edited by mfmpp

1 hour ago, mfmpp said:

Agree. If you work at 50% time each semester and get in-state tuition for your second year (you will) then your debt load should be very manageable.

IMO, what makes Berkeley expensive is more the cost of living in the East Bay than the tuition and fees.

I recommend the Berkeley Student co-ops for housing. They have VERY affordable student housing if you can live in non-luxury. Maybe a waitlist though I'm not sure for grad students.

1 hour ago, Nozistin said:

I recommend the Berkeley Student co-ops for housing. They have VERY affordable student housing if you can live in non-luxury. Maybe a waitlist though I'm not sure for grad students.

Thanks for the tip! That co-op looks amazing. I'm sure there's a lengthy waitlist though. 

1 hour ago, fallmpp2017 said:

Thanks for the tip! That co-op looks amazing. I'm sure there's a lengthy waitlist though. 

There very well might be. Students who are EOP or DSP get priority btw so for students of color or first-gen students, it maybe an option. This is all from undergrad experience though and am not sure how it translates to grad school. 

Any advice on getting off the waitlist? Any idea on the size of the waitlist? I figure the Berkeley waitlist may be smaller than, say, the HKS waitlist, but I'd like to scope out my chances. I'd really like to get off it!