What's in your 5 year plan?

Hi all,

Now that I have secured a spot in a PhD program, I need to look forward and start with a new plan so that I prioritize important steps and maximize my time in my program. I'm thinking of creating a 5 year plan. Is anyone else doing this? What's in your plan? What things are you hoping to to accomplish while in your grad program? 

1 hour ago, JungAndNotAFreud said:

Hi all,

Now that I have secured a spot in a PhD program, I need to look forward and start with a new plan so that I prioritize important steps and maximize my time in my program. I'm thinking of creating a 5 year plan. Is anyone else doing this? What's in your plan? What things are you hoping to to accomplish while in your grad program? 

I'm trying to do this as well! I was reading about the steps to establish your career during your PhD years and networking was a key aspect. One of my goals in the first year is to go to job talks/seminars, get involved in a leadership role and start research so that I can start to establish connections in the field. I was thinking about important steps during my program too, but I didn't know if there are major ones that grad students have. For me, some of them are starting projects early on to get published (because I know it can take up to a couple years) and volunteering as well to gain more cultural competency experience. I'm also looking at current grad students CV's to see what things they're doing!

Here are some things on my five year plan, 6 months in:

- various financial goals around saving and investing; anyone can ask if they're interested

- get more involved with spreading info about science, specifically through the events people email me regarding science days at middle schools, judging undergrad research competitions, etc

- create and implement lasting change as the grad advisor to our undergrad journal

- start studying for comps early to spread out the work

- increase responsibility at work by coming into the office more, which means rearranging my schedule and being really good at time management

- finish writing my masters thesis early; I'm already ahead with the proposal, so writing the thesis may just involve modifying the proposal - how much is the bigger question

- finish outlining some PhD project ideas this year to bring a formative proposal to my advisor

- follow up on some potential collaborations with another faculty

- get involved with our school's management consulting group to prepare for industry applications

- wrap up undergrad-related work and get it off my plate

- stay healthy, which has been easy to do with food (relatively) but much harder with a more sedentary lifestyle and with living too far to walk to school

This was super helpful for me, just writing all these things down. I'd recommend everyone else consider doing this as well!

Those are all really good ideas. Especially planning networking, extracurriculars and checking our current student CVs! I found this post that has an example:

http://theprofessorisin.com/2014/05/09/in-response-to-popular-demand-more-on-the-5-year-plan/

i think I'll get on the ball and create a rough outline and then talk to my current mentor for ideas and then present it to my new advisor once the semester starts to get it tailored to my program. 

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 1:48 PM, psyched64 said:

I'm trying to do this as well! I was reading about the steps to establish your career during your PhD years and networking was a key aspect. One of my goals in the first year is to go to job talks/seminars, get involved in a leadership role and start research so that I can start to establish connections in the field. I was thinking about important steps during my program too, but I didn't know if there are major ones that grad students have. For me, some of them are starting projects early on to get published (because I know it can take up to a couple years) and volunteering as well to gain more cultural competency experience. I'm also looking at current grad students CV's to see what things they're doing!

Do you mind sharing what you were reading that layed out steps to establish your career? @psyched64

1 hour ago, That Research Lady said:

Do you mind sharing what you were reading that layed out steps to establish your career? @psyched64

@That Research Lady Yeah sure! I saved this website with articles about getting through graduate school: https://www.gradschools.com/get-informed/surviving-graduate-school

I didn't save the rest of what I read unfortunately because I was just reading a bunch of different posts online. I took points from each that I thought applied to me/my career goals (I want to become a practicing psychologist!). Most of what I read to establish your career mentioned building a professional network by starting out with people you know in your program and asking them if they know people. I thought an interesting thing I read was finding alumni of the program you're at (from your advisor perhaps) and that way you can discuss their current/past employment if you're interested in their career.

I also read that it might be beneficial to research state licensing requirements if needed and jobs in your specialty, then look at the job skills they require (like X years of experience with evidence based practice) so you know to get that experience in your program. The jobs I've looked at more frequently mention grant experience needed, so I'm definitely going to be getting experience in that while at my program. I'm sorry that I didn't save the websites though!

@JungAndNotAFreud thank you for the link, that had some helpful advice :)

For me, looking for ways to collect clinical experiences and coursework that qualify me for neuropsych pre- and post-docs is high on my list. I'm also planning on attending area-specific conventions much more frequently than before for networking.

4 hours ago, schizometric said:

For me, looking for ways to collect clinical experiences and coursework that qualify me for neuropsych pre- and post-docs is high on my list. I'm also planning on attending area-specific conventions much more frequently than before for networking.

Same thing on my list! :) Trying to get all the forensic research experience and practicum experience related to forensic based psych I can for my pre & post docs.

Does anyone have any good guides/tips they use to watch their finances? I was lucky enough to not pay for undergrad myself and I had a great job after graduating so I feel like the low income is going to be an adjustment for me :wacko:

1 hour ago, ellieotter said:

Does anyone have any good guides/tips they use to watch their finances? I was lucky enough to not pay for undergrad myself and I had a great job after graduating so I feel like the low income is going to be an adjustment for me :wacko:

I lived off of loans in undergrad and used Mint.com. It's a Microsoft run website that you can attach your bank accounts to and keep track of all your purchases and make a budget (it has graphs and pie charts so I get happy). Also, make sure you have a small amount set aside for fun. I find that if I'm on a strict budget and I don't have a little fun each month I start to get cranky/pouty/whiney lol

Ha! I was just about to suggest mint.com! I feel ya @ellieotter ...I will be going from making a therapist's salary to having only the $1,000 a month stipend plus of course having to pay for 3-4k each semester in fees...I'm thankful for the tuition waiver but man between losing my salary, paying fees and paying for another residence for M-F the PhD journey is NOT for the faint of heart. I will miss having extra money to spend lol! My husband and I are trying to do it loan free. Good luck at Central Arkansas!

14 hours ago, Sjbionia said:

Ha! I was just about to suggest mint.com! I feel ya @ellieotter ...I will be going from making a therapist's salary to having only the $1,000 a month stipend plus of course having to pay for 3-4k each semester in fees...I'm thankful for the tuition waiver but man between losing my salary, paying fees and paying for another residence for M-F the PhD journey is NOT for the faint of heart. I will miss having extra money to spend lol! My husband and I are trying to do it loan free. Good luck at Central Arkansas!

Right?! I am totally thankful for my assistantship but the cut of money I'm use to will be a challenge. Regardless of it all, I am excited for this opportunity and new chapter! Good luck at OU! I'm from Norman so it's awesome to find other Okies on this forum :)