WWS MPA 2017

Rejected but not dejected, pretty much expected.

Only one year public sector work at my home country, a few years in fundraising before that. Quant score in the lower reaches. 

WWS was the only "top" school I applied too (many factors, such as where my partner can work, etc, factored) but I did get accepted to Maxwell, not that anyone here seem to be a huge fan. :)

12 minutes ago, encal said:

I guess my profile has ups and downs. I have a lot of international experience, especially for my age (worked and studied in 5 countries), GPA 3.85 in sociology, GRE 168Q/164V/4.5, perfectly fluent in 4 languages, very proactive (self-taught STATA that I now use for work, self-taught econs and econometrics and got top grades in exams I did for university credit).

I worked 1 year in London for a non-profit in social integration (not particularly high profile role) and then was intern with Innovations with Poverty Action. I am now managing M&E in a microfinance org in Africa but they don't know that...

OK so I'm no expert but your GPA is good, GRE is quite high except maybe for the writing. I would say that without the Africa work ex your experience is a little weaker but still fairly strong. If you got significant funding from the other two unis and you would be happy going there I would say go, but if you didn't get much funding and you could put off grad school for a year or two maybe reapply later. Although you have to take into account that no one can ever bank on getting into HKS (with funding) or WWS, both schools are fairly unpredictable and top tier so even reapplying later with more work ex won't necessarily get you through the door. 

34 minutes ago, RobinL said:

Waitlist at WWS seems rough, I have a hard time seeing anyone saying no to full rides at a place like WWS. 

My thoughts exactly. Though I will keep my place on the wait list, I definitely am not getting my hopes up. 

10 minutes ago, fallmpp2017 said:

My thoughts exactly. Though I will keep my place on the wait list, I definitely am not getting my hopes up. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If I were in their shoes, I'd definitely accept!

3 minutes ago, simbolism said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If I were in their shoes, I'd definitely accept!

Okay so I've been digging through GradCafe and it looks like WWS has a 68% yield (percentage of people who accept their offer of admission) according to their annual report: http://wws.princeton.edu/about-wws/wws-annual-report

So I am just crossing my fingers that a lot of people with a similar profile to mine defers or declines. 

22 minutes ago, fallmpp2017 said:

Okay so I've been digging through GradCafe and it looks like WWS has a 68% yield (percentage of people who accept their offer of admission) according to their annual report: http://wws.princeton.edu/about-wws/wws-annual-report

So I am just crossing my fingers that a lot of people with a similar profile to mine defers or declines. 

Interesting. Did you just get the email with the waitlist FAQ? There were 5 deferrals last year so some hope yet! But definitely not high expectations.

I'm also thinking if it is HKS MC/MPA one year no funding vs WWS MPA 2 years fully funded, whether the opportunity cost of one more year out of my current job is more than one year of tuition. Hmm...need to sit down and do the math.

1 hour ago, simbolism said:

I'm likely to turn it down because i was accepted to PhD programs im heavily weighting and looking to use WWS to negotiate funding at GSPP so if either of those pan out, and im sure other fomks like me are ou there, there will be some spots?

3 hours ago, Nozistin said:

I'm likely to turn it down because i was accepted to PhD programs im heavily weighting and looking to use WWS to negotiate funding at GSPP so if either of those pan out, and im sure other fomks like me are ou there, there will be some spots?

Hope there are a ton of folks like you! Ironically, I am most likely going to GSPP now that I am wait listed at WWS, ha! 

Did not get in.  Wasn't really expecting to, but HKS acceptance made me think I might have a shot, and a full ride anywhere would've been pretty fucking sweet....

For those on the waitlist, I'm no expert, but don't let that 68% yield cited above mislead you... The admissions committee knows that number, too, and admits more applicants than there are open spots accordingly.  Will some people make it off the waitlist? Probably a few, but not very many if they did a good job estimating how many accepted applicants actually end up applying.  Good luck to everyone though!! 

12 hours ago, LifeOnMars said:

Did not get in.  Wasn't really expecting to, but HKS acceptance made me think I might have a shot, and a full ride anywhere would've been pretty fucking sweet....

For those on the waitlist, I'm no expert, but don't let that 68% yield cited above mislead you... The admissions committee knows that number, too, and admits more applicants than there are open spots accordingly.  Will some people make it off the waitlist? Probably a few, but not very many if they did a good job estimating how many accepted applicants actually end up applying.  Good luck to everyone though!! 

Right, I am not misled at all-- it's highly unlikely that I will get off the wait list. They accepted 97 people this year. If 68% accepts their offer, that is around ~66 people. Since they want 70 people in the class, that means they *might* be accepting 4 people off the wait list. If the yield rate is even higher, it might be 0. Trying to forget that I am even on the wait list at this point and moving on! 

10 hours ago, coffeebean13 said:

For those who got into both HKS and WWS ( @Palolem   and @Nasty Woman) - Are you going to both admit weekends? If so, how are you planning on going from HKS to WWS? I'm coming from the west coast and am not sure if I should fly or rent a car and drive down. Thoughts? 

Hi coffeebean13,

I'm also headed to both admit events (from the west coast) and would be willing to split the cost of a rental car if you'd like...

7 hours ago, Nasty Woman said:

I plan to go to both, but I'm not sure about logistics yet. It will probably depend on the details/schedule of the WWS activities. I'm coming from DC, so my trip shouldn't be too complicated to plan.

Are there any details re: the WWS admit weekend? I only know that it's 4/8 through 4/10

Current WWS here -- no idea what's planned for admit weekend but I'm sure more info will be coming soon.  The easiest way to get from Boston to Princeton is probably by train (Amtrak from Boston to NYC or Trenton, then New Jersey Transit from NYC or Trenton to Princeton) or at least that's what I did when I visited HKS and the Woo.  

It may be faster to fly Boston to Newark, but when you add in transit time to/from the airport and arriving early for your flight, it's probably about the same, possibly faster by train.   Another more economical option would be to take the bus Boston to NYC and then bus or train from New York to Princeton but that would be a longer less pleasant journey. 

1 hour ago, Gov2School said:

Current WWS here -- no idea what's planned for admit weekend but I'm sure more info will be coming soon.  The easiest way to get from Boston to Princeton is probably by train (Amtrak from Boston to NYC or Trenton, then New Jersey Transit from NYC or Trenton to Princeton) or at least that's what I did when I visited HKS and the Woo.  

It may be faster to fly Boston to Newark, but when you add in transit time to/from the airport and arriving early for your flight, it's probably about the same, possibly faster by train.   Another more economical option would be to take the bus Boston to NYC and then bus or train from New York to Princeton but that would be a longer less pleasant journey. 

Thanks! This is helpful!

16 hours ago, ter50 said:

Hi coffeebean13,

I'm also headed to both admit events (from the west coast) and would be willing to split the cost of a rental car if you'd like...

Awesome. I'll look into it tonight and try to figure out logistics. I'll post on here and I'll pm you with details. If it's feasible and easier, then I'll post on here and see if anyone else is interested. 

On 3/13/2017 at 2:16 PM, ter50 said:

Are there any details re: the WWS admit weekend? I only know that it's 4/8 through 4/10

Still no details right? Just want to make sure I haven't lost a link somewhere in my inbox...

4 minutes ago, plddp said:

Still no details right? Just want to make sure I haven't lost a link somewhere in my inbox...

Hey, we will be receiving an email soon with all the details, apparently. We can expect it over the next two days, perhaps. 

Is there something I'm missing? There seems to be only one Google Group where people are introducing themselves, and that's about it. I know the Hosting Program is April 8-10 but I don't have any additional details (times, program, etc.) It's just a bit odd that we were notified on Friday but haven't really heard anything else...unless I'm missing an email or link(?)

Will anyone join both WWS hosting program (Apr 8-10) and HKS MPA/ID hosting program (Apr 10)? 

I am fortunate to have been admitted to both programs and now torn between them. As a development practitioner, MPA/ID has been my dream program, but the financial difference is too huge to make a decidion (I don't think I can earn enough or even any scholarship from HKS).

I plan to attend WWS program on Apr 8-9, move to Boston on 9 evening, and attend MPA/ID program on 10. 

Anyone has a same plan?