Golden Key / Dean's List

WildeThing

I'm in my 2nd semester in America and got emails about being on the Dean's List and being able to become a Golden Key member. I know these sre supposed to be reflections of good academic work but no one I know seems to know or care what they really mean. Are these things that one should put in the CV? I didn't even know that grads can make a Dean's list. A friend told me that these things are meant on getting money off you.

3 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I'm in my 2nd semester in America and got emails about being on the Dean's List and being able to become a Golden Key member. I know these sre supposed to be reflections of good academic work but no one I know seems to know or care what they really mean. Are these things that one should put in the CV? I didn't even know that grads can make a Dean's list. A friend told me that these things are meant on getting money off you.

There are a lot of "honor societies" that exist just to make money from membership dues, and it sounds like Golden Key is one of them. Don't join, it's just a waste of money - for all we know, they send emails to everyone.

Deans' list is something most universities have - if your GPA is in the top 10% (or 5% or whatever, depending on the school), you are on the "Deans List". This is not really a society as a university recognition, you might get a little card in the mail or something. You can put it on your CV if you want, but in general your GPA speaks for itself.

Congratulations on your academic achievements so far! In regards to Golden Key, I wouldn't recommend joining the group. There's membership dues in order to join, and as Pink Fuzzy Bunny pointed out, it's just a waste of money. I am a member, and I haven't gotten any use out of it, expect for putting it on my resume. I'm not sure if having it on my resume will make any difference. Your GPA speaks for itself, as Pink Fuzzy Bunny said. 

My opinion of Golden Key is also the same as others: it's mostly a way for them to get your membership dues. However, if you do spend a lot of time doing Golden Key activities and getting involved in the program, it could be pretty rewarding. I didn't join but some of my friends did and got really active so I think it was worth it for them.

However, my impression is that they mostly exist because a lot of people will think that if they pay the dues and get to add the line on the CV then it will benefit them. It probably won't. You'll only get as much out as you put in and there are other organizations you can work with to get good leadership opportunities and build networks.