NDSEG 2017

Humulus_lupulus

It's that time of year again! I applied to the NDSEG last December, and realized the other day that we are probably about a month out from the release of the names of recipients.

Anyone had success with this one? I think I remember seeing that the funding rate is lower than NSF, which scares me a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried logging into https://ndseg.asee.org/award and when I do I get a message that says "You have declined the offer of the NDSEG Fellowship. Please check your email for confirmation. If you have declined in error, please email us at NDSEG@asee.org and we will reset your acceptance status."  Definitely didn't get any emails and definitely did not decline an award.  Does this happen for anyone else? 

Edited by EverythingIsMaterials

Just as a heads up, it's a good idea to check the NDSEG Facebook page over the next few days. Last year they posted updates to let us know when they'd share the results. 

Also, I wouldn't think much about the awards page. Nobody is really supposed to know you can check that to see if you won (and in prior years it only showed winners about an hour or two before the official emails were sent out). It very likely has no indication of an award offer if it says you declined though, just statistically speaking from how many people have posted about it here... 

Edited by Argon

9 hours ago, Argon said:

Just as a heads up, it's a good idea to check the NDSEG Facebook page over the next few days. Last year they posted updates to let us know when they'd share the results. 

Also, I wouldn't think much about the awards page. Nobody is really supposed to know you can check that to see if you won (and in prior years it only showed winners about an hour or two before the official emails were sent out). It very likely has no indication of an award offer if it says you declined though, just statistically speaking from how many people have posted about it here... 

Oh wow this is great info. Thanks so much. I hope we find out soon!!!!

Is there a status page where we can check that our application hasn't already been rejected for technical reasons (e.g. late rec)? https://ndseg.asee.org/apply/overview/status just takes me to a generic Overview page.

I also get the weird "you declined" message without having declined -- I assume it's some meaningless bug...

Edited by pascal_barbots_wager

I personally haven't checked, but it seems that's the case. Last year, if you tried to login to that awards page, it wouldn't log you in (I think it said the username and password combo was wrong) unless you were a winner. But it only showed an award for the winners a few hours before the announcement. Before then, it didn't let even the future winners log in. 

2 minutes ago, Argon said:

I personally haven't checked, but it seems that's the case. Last year, if you tried to login to that awards page, it wouldn't log you in (I think it said the username and password combo was wrong) unless you were a winner. But it only showed an award for the winners a few hours before the announcement. Before then, it didn't let even the future winners log in. 

could you check just to increase our sample size lol

I'd prefer to be blissfully unaware, so I won't be doing so, but rest assured whatever form appears doesn't mean anything at this point. 

8 hours ago, tardigrade said:

How do you view status? Whenever I click the status link, it just redirects me to the application overview page.

I clicked on this link: https://ndseg.asee.org/award

10 hours ago, pascal_barbots_wager said:

Same. Maybe they'll come out on Friday.

For sake of my sanity, I hope it is earlier!

49 minutes ago, TinyAmbystoma said:

Yeah.... But last year they didn't announce that awards were coming out until 9:30-ish am April 1st, so probably nothing to get excited about just yet.

Probably means a good chance that the results will be out tomorrow. They seemed to be pretty prompt about updating last year, so I will be obsessively checking the Facebook page tomorrow, I am sure.

Someone asked about when results will be posted on their Facebook page. Their response:

"National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship Hi Donald and Janet: Our team expects to issue award notifications just as soon as the Department of Defense has provided us with their final list of selections. Please feel free to continue checking-in with us, we're happy to keep you posted!
Like · Reply · 6 · March 29 at 12:03pm"