NDSEG 2017

Humulus_lupulus

Yeah, @kstopka3 I took that as meaning they haven't received the list yet as of Wednesday. Seems like that would have to be a really quick turnaround if they got it yesterday and were going to post it today!

Probably good for your sanity @Humulus_lupulus to plan for it to be next week. If they post today, will be a pleasant surprise rather than a disappointment if they don't. :)

24 minutes ago, ducktape said:

Probably good for your sanity @Humulus_lupulus to plan for it to be next week. If they post today, will be a pleasant surprise rather than a disappointment if they don't. :)

@ducktape 

*continues to obsessively check everything associated with NDSEG every 5 minutes* Ahhhhhh...!!!!!!

According to the NDSEG Facebook page, they will be offering fewer awards this year: 150 instead of 180 (out of 3500+ applications). Seems to be 10 less awards per DoD agency. 

1 hour ago, Argon said:

According to the NDSEG Facebook page, they will be offering fewer awards this year: 150 instead of 180 (out of 3500+ applications). Seems to be 10 less awards per DoD agency. 

Kind of frustrating that there is now a ~4% chance of funding. Maybe they need to put some restrictions on it to whittle down the applicant pool.

A request for an NDSEG update on the facebook page has been up for over 3 hours now without a response.  Maybe they're getting ready to start sending results?  I feel like if they're still waiting on the DoD they would have responded with that information by now.

16 minutes ago, eruwaedhiel said:

A request for an NDSEG update on the facebook page has been up for over 3 hours now without a response.  Maybe they're getting ready to start sending results?  I feel like if they're still waiting on the DoD they would have responded with that information by now.

That was my comment on FB, and think what you suggested makes sense. When I asked last week, they responded almost immediately.

Andddd with the 5 o'clock bell, looks like it'll be tomorrow or Wednesday. Wish they'd post some sort of update! Oh well.

For the sanity of those on this thread, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get an ETA, or at least understand where they are in the process.

The delays in responding make me suspicious as well. I've fortunately been very busy today so I have not had much of a chance to keep checking. I hope the results come out tomorrow because it is another busy day... I'm not even sure what I would do with myself if they come out later in the week when I'm not busy enough to not check every 5 minutes.

I do think it is odd that they are coming out so late as compared to the other awards. You'd think they would come out first being so competitive so they could truly get the cream of the crop, but some really excellent students may have already accepted another fellowship.

@Humulus_lupulus most fellowships give you until May 1 or thereabouts to commit-- so it's not really a problem so long as the ones you'd seriously consider release decisions in April. I have NSF, for instance, but I'm waiting to commit until NDSEG is released in case I get both (questionable, depending on whether NDSEG accepted a late rec) and NDSEG has some awesome package (they used to have a higher stipend, but that might not be the case anymore).

This is also why NPSC (there's only like, 1 serious thread on it in the bank), on the other hand, is sort of a mystery to folks. In the past they've released some acceptances as late as mid-May. At that point, yes, some folks have probably already committed to other fellowships. I was an alternate selectee for NDSEG last year, and didn't finally hear back that I didn't get it until May 10. If I'd had NSF last year, that would have been too late (though you can theoretically do both and defer NSF).

ANYWAYS. Lots of words to say that they have time, and the main reason earlier would be more helpful is that grad students already have enough on their brains. haha

On 3/31/2017 at 6:59 AM, kstopka3 said:

Someone asked about when results will be posted on their Facebook page. Their response:

"National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship Hi Donald and Janet: Our team expects to issue award notifications just as soon as the Department of Defense has provided us with their final list of selections. Please feel free to continue checking-in with us, we're happy to keep you posted!
Like · Reply · 6 · March 29 at 12:03pm"

Hi there:

I have NSF and FORD. The FORD acceptance is due on April 12.

Edited by d_quant
left name on accident

14 minutes ago, d_quant said:

Hi there:

I have NSF and FORD. The FORD acceptance is due on April 12.

Nice, congrats! Alright, so, additional data. Ford you can accept with either, though, yeah? Since it's not a federal fellowship?

1 hour ago, ducktape said:

If I'd had NSF last year, that would have been too late (though you can theoretically do both and defer NSF).

Good points, but I will also add that there is some stipulation somewhere (either NDSEG or NSF) that you cannot accept both and defer NSF, which I actually like, because it gives more opportunity to other students to win competitive national fellowships.

If you could find that for posterity, that would be really helpful for very small overlap of people who win both. I've only seen this bit from the end of the NDSEG FAQ:

Are current NSF fellows ineligible to apply for the NDSEG fellowship?

Current NSF fellows are eligible to apply for the NDSEG Fellowship. However, if awarded the fellowship, you will not be eligible to accept funding from both sources at the time that the NDSEG tenure begins on September 1, 2017.

18 hours ago, ducktape said:

Andddd with the 5 o'clock bell, looks like it'll be tomorrow or Wednesday. Wish they'd post some sort of update! Oh well.

For the sanity of those on this thread, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get an ETA, or at least understand where they are in the process.

PSA, called this morning and got sent to voicemail. No update.

14 hours ago, ducktape said:

If you could find that for posterity, that would be really helpful for very small overlap of people who win both. I've only seen this bit from the end of the NDSEG FAQ:

Are current NSF fellows ineligible to apply for the NDSEG fellowship?

Current NSF fellows are eligible to apply for the NDSEG Fellowship. However, if awarded the fellowship, you will not be eligible to accept funding from both sources at the time that the NDSEG tenure begins on September 1, 2017.

Maybe that's what I saw. But I thought NSF had some stipulation that you could not defer in favor of accepting another source of funding or a job for two years, that it had to be a deferral for a legitimate reason.