NDSEG 2017

Humulus_lupulus

I just called NDSEG. The person said that they will send out the awards between now and April 15th. I am not sure if he actually expected the awards to be sent out that late or if he was basically saying "our policy is that it will be sent out early April, and I can't tell you anything more"

Also he said that NDSEG doesn't want people using the award portal. Didn't say why though.

3 minutes ago, Yosef said:

I just called NDSEG. The person said that they will send out the awards between now and April 15th. I am not sure if he actually expected the awards to be sent out that late or if he was basically saying "our policy is that it will be sent out early April, and I can't tell you anything more"

Also he said that NDSEG doesn't want people using the award portal. Didn't say why though.

Sounds a lot like "you'll get them when you get them, in the meanwhile we want the maximum flexibility possible". Same for the award portal, they're probably not 100% sure how the IT side of the emails and awards interact, or what the error handling looks like when people look at those things when they're not supposed to, so they're just saying it's useless to be safe.

On 4/3/2017 at 5:23 PM, ducktape said:

Nice, congrats! Alright, so, additional data. Ford you can accept with either, though, yeah? Since it's not a federal fellowship?

No, the FORD says this is not possible. I am not sure they would ever really know, however, as FORD deposits the stipend directly into the fellows account. That said, I personally would not consider accepted both, but I think it might be possible so long is one did not mind breaking the rule (definitely against the rules).

1 hour ago, ash09e said:

Welp, it's the two week mark from their Facebook post..

I'd be surprised if they sent anything today at the rate things have seemed to go the past few days. My optimism and hope are quickly dissipating! I hope their slowed attentiveness means they are going to issue notifications soon, but I am not at all optimistic based on them saying between now and April 15th, when they said 1-2 weeks 2 weeks ago. April 15th is so far away, I really don't want to wait that long to get my inevitable rejection!

I'm just picturing a bunch of sleep-deprived panelists all sitting around in a poorly lit room, having issued 149 awards and debating the 150th award for a week straight.

Well, I guess by the 15th technically means by the 14th because that is the Friday. Only 7 more possible days of waiting! After over 3 months. We can stick it out, y'all :)

They responded to my comment from Monday asking if they were expecting to let us know by the original date of Wednesday. Here it is: "Hi Ashley - We are doing all we can to have awards issued as soon as possible and are awaiting final instruction from the Department of Defense at this time. Thank you for your understanding and patience! - The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE"

Would anyone here take NDSEG over NSF? Is there any reason to do so?

For my institution, NDSEG covers everything, whereas NSF's maximum salary is a few thousand under what grad students get paid here.

1 hour ago, RP15 said:

Would anyone here take NDSEG over NSF? Is there any reason to do so?

For my institution, NDSEG covers everything, whereas NSF's maximum salary is a few thousand under what grad students get paid here.

If I remember right the NDSEG technically pays a bit more in terms of both tuition and stipend, but you can't defer it, whereas you can defer the NSF GRFP. If your department guarantees a stipend for your first two years but not afterward, it might make more sense to take the GRFP and defer it to make sure your covered for 5 years. This thread has more.

14 minutes ago, pascal_barbots_wager said:

If I remember right the NDSEG technically pays a bit more in terms of both tuition and stipend, but you can't defer it, whereas you can defer the NSF GRFP. If your department guarantees a stipend for your first two years but not afterward, it might make more sense to take the GRFP and defer it to make sure your covered for 5 years. This thread has more.

Pretty much where I'm at. I'm finishing up my 2nd year, which was funded.

That's why NDSEG is not off limits... Any idea when funding begins? If it's in the Fall, then I'll have a unfunded Summer if I accept NDSEG (since NSF GRFP starts June 1st.)

1 hour ago, RP15 said:

Pretty much where I'm at. I'm finishing up my 2nd year, which was funded.

That's why NDSEG is not off limits... Any idea when funding begins? If it's in the Fall, then I'll have a unfunded Summer if I accept NDSEG (since NSF GRFP starts June 1st.)

One can also look at restrictions such as being a teaching or research assistant. I do not think FORD or NDSEG has a policy, like the NSF, where you cannot (or need exception) gain other forms of income. Of course, the NSF allows you to defer, but this is not the same as receiving the award and being able to find other forms of income. To ensure what I am saying is correct, check out the websites. I think the FORD's only restriction is that the TA ship or whatever cannot be full time.

Edited by d_quant

Looks like it may be today! "On behalf of the NDSEG Program Team, we want to say THANK YOU for your patience. Please expect an award notification update soon!" on their FB. 

3 minutes ago, Argon said:

Looks like it may be today! "On behalf of the NDSEG Program Team, we want to say THANK YOU for your patience. Please expect an award notification update soon!" on their FB. 

refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, check spam, refresh, refresh, refresh....

According to their Facebook the notifications will not be up today. They said "keep an eye out for more information early next week" so fingers crossed for next week.

9 minutes ago, MZBK said:

According to their Facebook the notifications will not be up today. They said "keep an eye out for more information early next week" so fingers crossed for next week.

Sighhhhh. See you all on Monday, I guess. 

1 hour ago, chilge said:

Nope. From their Twitter, an hour ago... 

"Hi Robert! We are awaiting final instruction from the DOD to issue awards & apologize for the delay. Thank you for your continued patience!"

Do words mean nothing to NDSEG? "late March/early April" "early next week" "soon" "very soon" ... I don't care that we haven't been updated the status of our applications. But I'm tired of being told "award notifications are just around the corner!" for several weeks now. I'd rather they say nothing at all than keep giving us a timeline that they don't follow through on.

I'm getting a little bitter. They specifically said at one point that it would be by April 15th, so if that doesn't happen, I'm going to be VERY bitter. Early this week is basically over...