LOR from hell

rogue

Thanks for sharing this! It made me feel better- there's one of my letters that I haven't seen and I doubt that it's stellar (just bc the prof doesn't know me all that well and tends to do a half-assed job on things), but it's got to be better than this!

Frankly, I think a letter like this is deserved when people count on their parents' influential friends and acquaintances to get them into college. I had a friend who applied to the same college as me, but had dismal grades and tried to make up for it by getting several extra, unnecessary letters of recommendation from her dad's political colleagues (judges and the like) who had never even met her, or who barely knew her. I felt bad for her that she didn't get to go to the university she wanted to attend, but at the same time I was relieved that my university had enough integrity not to fall for the crap she was trying to pull, and rejected her despite the letters from influential and wealthy people. Obviously this is meant as a piece of comedy, but fortunately it's even more irrelevant to the general grad application experience because I don't think many people get their recommendation letters from random acquaintances or family friends who are not professors. Lucky for me, since I know no such important people.