Grad student part time and summer jobs?

qt_dnvr

Was hoping we could brainstorm good off campus part time jobs for my and other's benefit.

I worked at my university library throughout undergrad and was able to schedule shifts around classes (even like 45 minutes of shelving between classes!) and take extra hours in the summer without fear of running out of work study funds. 

I also worked for the large test prep company in undergrad and for years following- high hourly with relative autonomy was also very workable in school.

Right now I'm looking at moving to a new city and considering potentially upgrading my car early to make it a Lyft-mobile (though It may be more profitable to just keep it no-frills through grad school instead). Also considering other sharing economy gigs like Handy or Rover to fill in my schedule with a little flexible $$. I'm going to an MSW program and will be in field work as soon as I begin so I want to avoid work that is too emotionally/intellectually draining, like at this point I'd rather walk dogs or shelve/file than teach extensively.

What options am I missing? How about the summer break? Back when I was more punk people would do all kinds of things like harvest corn or work other agricultural short-term jobs or medical sleep studies. Now that I have the bachelor's degree I feel like it should be a little more lucrative out there, even if I'm looking for temp work. 

Honestly, pick up a work-study. You're not going to have nearly the time you did as an undergraduate.

Edited by telkanuru

I recommend trying to find gigs on campus. I was a data entry assistant over the summer after my first year for a research center on campus, and did communications for another research institute throughout the semester after that. I became a fellow at the research institute the following year, which was even better since I got a lump-sum fellowship disbursement rather than being paid hourly. There are lots of flexible 8-10 hour/week jobs on campus, especially as GSR (graduate student researcher) funded by a professor in the department with a nice endowed chair. I did source translation from the German for a professor of American history and got paid nicely by the hour to do that as well.

I also recommend trying to find an on campus job. I had a choice between an off campus job vs on campus. While the off campus job paid a little more, the on campus job provided more flexibility. Both jobs were in my chosen field (museums). However, the on campus job required less hours and paid more hourly. I will have to say that I think having flexibility really helped me and my grades.

My parents said they'd help me foot the bill if I found something in or adjacent to my field, so I'm looking at part time docent or museum gift shop work because it's usually pretty flexible. I've done it before and since it was a super slow place they were 100% fine with me doing homework while there weren't any visitors. If you can manage to find something along those lines it's great. Also, if you're good with social media I'm currently applying to be a social media manager for a small museum/community organization, so something along those lines might work out too. 

try doing something that gets you skills for the future. this is not the time to build your savings account or pension. hustling for wages is a waste of time at this stage. work on your skills.

I worked for almost a year as a mechanic before grad school. Sure, it helped me a tiny bit with my garage skills. But it has absolutely no place on my resume long term. right now, your most precious commodity is time. don't waste it.