Please review my stats!

Gavin Hong

I went to a mediocre public university and graduated with 3.94/4.0 GPA (magna cum laude, biology major). My GRE scores were 168/160/3.5 (Q/V/W). In terms of research experience, I've been working in a neuroscience lab as a research technician at the Scripps Research Institute for the last 9 months under an esteemed PI in our field, and he agreed to write me a great LOR if I decide to apply.

I'll be pursuing a phD in neuroscience, and I am currently thinking about which schools I should apply to. I would like to stay in the SoCal region if possible so will probably apply to UCSD, UC Irvine, the Scripps Research Institute and Cal Tech, but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by Gavin Hong

I also went to a  meh cal state school and have similar stats (3.9+ GPA, 330+ GRE, about a year of research at a much better place than where I did my undergrad) and I was accepted everywhere I interviewed this year including UCSD and Stanford, though I wasn't applying in neuro. I think what helped me most is a really great letter from my PI, so as long as you have that, you should be fine. 

23 minutes ago, virionoftomorrow said:

I also went to a  meh cal state school and have similar stats (3.9+ GPA, 330+ GRE, about a year of research at a much better place than where I did my undergrad) and I was accepted everywhere I interviewed this year including UCSD and Stanford, though I wasn't applying in neuro. I think what helped me most is a really great letter from my PI, so as long as you have that, you should be fine. 

Hey, thanks for your reply. Did you have any publications prior to submitting your applications?

Personally I feel like a great gpa at a "mediocre" school weighs more than a mediocre gpa at a "great" school. This is coming from my mediocre gpa at an ivy school and talking to some of my friends at state schools (which are by no means, mediocre). Nevertheless, it's the will that matters the most. If anyone is serious about graduate degree, s/he would do anything to overcome that obstacle. That's my opinion.

Edited by cmykrgb

1 hour ago, Gavin Hong said:

Hey, thanks for your reply. Did you have any publications prior to submitting your applications?

I did not. I will say that when I did a summer REU, the program directors basically told us that having publications can help you but that not having them doesn't really hurt you at all. 

On 3/9/2017 at 3:38 PM, cmykrgb said:

Personally I feel like a great gpa at a "mediocre" school weighs more than a mediocre gpa at a "great" school. This is coming from my mediocre gpa at an ivy school and talking to some of my friends at state schools (which are by no means, mediocre). Nevertheless, it's the will that matters the most. If anyone is serious about graduate degree, s/he would do anything to overcome that obstacle. That's my opinion.

I have a very mediocre GPA at Princeton and I got in nearly everywhere I applied (all top 10), so I don't agree with this whatsoever.

Unless you're talking like ~3.0 or below, in which case I would agree. 

51 minutes ago, MoreInformation said:

I have a very mediocre GPA at Princeton and I got in nearly everywhere I applied (all top 10), so I don't agree with this whatsoever.

Unless you're talking like ~3.0 or below, in which case I would agree. 

by mediocre I mean 3.2. I wouldn't say anything above 3.4 is mediocre. Out of curiosity, what was your definition? did you apply right out of undergrad?