NSF GRIP/GROW (2017-2018)

paleoatmo

Waiting to hear news from Mexico. Late last week, I received an email from my potential GROW host explaining he'd received a short application to fill out on my behalf that would be evaluated by NSF's counterpart in Mexico. The due date for that information was May 5, so they may not have even started making decisions yet.

Heard from NSF directly for Norway last year, my collaborator hasn't been contacted before I received the acceptance. So it differs place to place, but the final acceptance comes from NSF GROW.

I officially heard back from NSF that my application was approved. I just wanted to let you guys know. Goodluck everyone!

Just heard from the NSF GRFP that my GROW travel request to go to Australia has been approved! Now just need to figure out how to make this all work considering that my original June 1 start date is no longer going to work. Good luck everyone!

Hi All! 

Congrats on your GROW awards. I was also awarded a GROW will be going to Melbourne Sept 2017 - Aug 2018. Does anyone else who is going to Australia know what visa they are going to apply for?

4 hours ago, GROW_Melbourne said:

Hi All! 

Congrats on your GROW awards. I was also awarded a GROW will be going to Melbourne Sept 2017 - Aug 2018. Does anyone else who is going to Australia know what visa they are going to apply for?

I am also trying to figure this out right now, so let me know if you learn anything about this first. I'm hoping to be able to go with the Work and Holiday visa (462), but it might not be suitable for you due to the length of your trip.

2 hours ago, Indie_soul said:

That's a bummer, but best of luck with your GRIP!

I declined that one...but thank you! Have a great time in Australia! Best of luck to you! 

Has anyone had experience with needing to shift dates? I originally said I'd start in August but I really need to start in September now. I emailed GROW but their email response rate isn't the greatest. 

1 hour ago, batcathat said:

Has anyone had experience with needing to shift dates? I originally said I'd start in August but I really need to start in September now. I emailed GROW but their email response rate isn't the greatest. 

I am working on doing the same thing right now. They basically told me to clear the new dates with my host and then let them (NSF GROW) know what these new dates are.

On 5/13/2017 at 1:35 AM, Indie_soul said:

I am working on doing the same thing right now. They basically told me to clear the new dates with my host and then let them (NSF GROW) know what these new dates are.

I changed dates last year - as long as your host and the NSF counterpart in country approve, NSF doesn't seem to mind any change in dates (or even splitting a single visit into two visits if needed)

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

New to gradcafe - this is awesome. :) I'm interested in applying for GROW and feel like this is the only place with real, useful information!! Would anyone be willing to explain how they began the process of choosing an institution and crafting the application? Also, does anyone know of places to find examples of successful applications?

Thanks so much!! :) Congrats to all who are going abroad this year!

On 6/26/2017 at 0:52 PM, bpmadkins said:

Hi all!

New to gradcafe - this is awesome. :) I'm interested in applying for GROW and feel like this is the only place with real, useful information!! Would anyone be willing to explain how they began the process of choosing an institution and crafting the application? Also, does anyone know of places to find examples of successful applications?

I did not know anyone who had applied for GROW when I started the application process, so I can share how I went about it. I first decided which country I wanted to go to and for how long. Then I started looking into researchers at various universities in that country whose work would be complementary to my own line of research. I "cold-emailed" because I did not know anyone in the country I chose to go to, but I was fortunate to get a "yes" from the very first researcher I got in touch with. Just make sure to briefly yet informatively describe to them in your email who you are, what the GROW program is about, and what you would want from them. Then I started brainstorming feasible project ideas and put together an application. I did not have access to any successful applications, so I just carefully thought about the application review criteria, as listed on the GROW site, and made sure to hit all of them. Because I was only going for three months and was also planning on starting my dissertation right after I get back, I decided that my project should be focused on obtaining a training that would be relevant for my dissertation. If I proposed a longer trip, I would likely have come up with a specific research project I could execute abroad, in addition to any important training. But three months just isn't enough time for such project. I also recommend participating in the NSF GROW webinar, which they offer in the Fall. You can PM if me if you have any additional specific questions.  It is very true that this forum is pretty much the only place where people share their experiences with the program.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:52 PM, bpmadkins said:

Hi all!

Hello and welcome!

I had that exact issue when I started -- I even reached out on here several times asking for samples of successful applications and no one replied. If you (or anyone reading this) are a social scientist, I'd be happy to share my application materials with you. 

I talked with my advisor about international scholars that he knew and where good work was being done in my field internationally. I also looked through the most recent editions of the international-scope journals in my field, found articles that piqued by interest, and looked at which schools the authors were affiliated with. Then "cold-emailed". After two rejected applications to Australia, I was informed that more STEM-focused fields prefer to work in countries that have English as the primary language and so would have a more competitive field of applicants, so I found researchers in another GROW country and applied there instead. 

The entire process is frustrating because NSF doesn't provide feedback on your applications. I had the NSF office at my university read through several drafts of my GROW essay and that seemed to help over time. 

Good luck! If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me

• 3 months later...

Hi, everyone!

I'm currently in Japan through the GROW program and am already considering future opportunities.  However, the GROW website seems to be out of date, and I can't see any additional funding opportunities on my Fastlane.  Does anyone know if GRIP and GROW will be offered during the 2017-2018 academic year?  I emailed NSF but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Thanks!

On 10/4/2017 at 4:18 AM, jeanna said:

Hi, everyone!

I'm currently in Japan through the GROW program and am already considering future opportunities.  However, the GROW website seems to be out of date, and I can't see any additional funding opportunities on my Fastlane.  Does anyone know if GRIP and GROW will be offered during the 2017-2018 academic year?  I emailed NSF but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing! Please update us if you hear anything back from NSF. This has been driving me crazy!

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone willing to share their successful GROW application with me? I am applying for the first time, and I have not been able to find any examples online. Thanks!

• 3 months later...