deferral and visa

Hey guys,

Here is the situation: I was accepted last year to an MFA program and had to defer it for a year. So I'm starting my program this fall. It's going to be time to apply for a visa very soon. What documents will I need to apply? Should I get new official acceptance letter and new I-20? Also, my TOEFL scores are expired - should I take this exam again? Please tell that I shouldn't!!! And please don't tell me to address those questions to my international student office - those guys proved to be utterly useless. If someone here went through a deferral please share your thoughts!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, TakeruK said:

The only people that can really help you are the international student office. If you need a new I-20, they are the only ones that can do that. 

Thanks. Unfortunately it's true, and I know that. My question here is whether I need a new I-20.

12 hours ago, betts15 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately it's true, and I know that. My question here is whether I need a new I-20.

Again, only your international student office can help you answer that question. They are the only ones that knows all the details of the laws and your specific case. They are also the only ones, other than yourself, with any sort of responsibility for your status. So even though others here might be able to share similar experiences, many things are on a case-by-case basis, so you will still have to check with the international office anyways. I know it's frustrating when they aren't super helpful but I wish you luck!