Best path for future public policy degree (MPP/PhD)

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this; I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible as I decide my next move. Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Some basic info about me - I took 5 years to graduate, had a below avg undergrad transcript that littered with Fs and withdrawals, 2.8 GPA overall, but 3.9 for last 2 years after changing to Poli Sci. My GRE was just okay (159V, 158Q, 5.0AW).

My ultimate goal is to get a public policy degree, either an MPP or PhD (currently HKS and Ford have faculty that align very well with my interests), but right now I am unsure of which path will be the best option to get there. I want to research public policy as it relates to education (some broad interests include how policies impact college access and attainment, and returns on higher education). I applied to both public policy and master's in education programs with mixed results.

I was accepted to Teachers College at Columbia (for an MA), Penn GSE (for an MSEd), and Brown (Master of Public Affairs 1 year program), denied at Michigan SOE (Higher Ed/Public Policy dual degree) and HKS (MPP).

The education programs all offer stat/policy/economics related courses from an education lens with Columbia having some more specific math classes and Penn having some research courses. The MPA program offers the standards - policy foundations stat, econ, communication, program evaluation, management, plus courses in systems dynamics and finance/budgeting.

If I were to go to Penn/Columbia, I would want to continue my education very soon and would likely apply to MPP programs next year. I'll have pretty minimal loans from these two programs, so finances aren't an issue, but competitiveness for an MPP (like HKS & Ford) is a concern. Not sure if it makes sense to go for two master's level degrees.

If I go to Brown, I would likely apply to doctoral programs in the next few years. On the plus side, I get the policy education I want (though not in degree name), and can stay as part time in my current role as a research manager at an ed policy center. On the other hand, I will likely want to apply to solid policy programs for a PhD within a few years. I get that PhD admissions are a lot about fit/research/work experience. In looking at CVs of currently students/faculty, lots of students also have ed degrees or very quantatitive degrees, and go quickly into a PhD program after their master's. I'm not sure if Brown will prepare me to be competitive for this track.

Tldr; Should I go for an ed degree this year then apply to MPP programs next year, or go for the lesser known Master of Public Affairs degree while working as a research manager then apply to doctoral programs later?

well I'm not very clear on what you want to do after. What is your ultimate career goal, past whichever degree you get? Do you want to research policy and its effects or do you want practice policy yourself? If it's the former I guess go for Brown even though you yourself don't seem very convinced about this, if it's the latter go for Columbia and then an MPP. If you're not entirely sure go for Columbia because transitioning into a PhD after an MPP is much easier, you could even take a few years to practice policy and then go into a phd, maybe part time or something. Take into account that having a phd can sometimes be a hindrance if you're not going for jobs that actually require it because they'll worry you're over qualified and will want to much money for the job or that your profile doesn't add up. Hope this helped at least a little. 

The MPA is public administration and will do you absolutely no good, it's not even related to what you want to do. If your interest really is ed policy then you should accept one of the MA offers. The chance might not be there later. An MA in ed and an MPP (or a dual degree) is a fairly standard path for a PhD in PP for those whose interest is ed policy but realize that you will probably need a couple of years of work experience post MA to get into a good MPP program. On the other hand, you might get accepted to a PhD program with only the MA if you can mix in some policy coursework and get the right kind of experience post MA. If you got those offers with your GPA you should consider yourself fortunate and grab one of them.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I realize I'm in a very fortunate position (definitely expected more rejections) since the options I have can lead to very solid post-master's jobs.

@ExponentialDecay I really appreciate your thoughts. I took the GRE with minimal studying but my most recent practice tests have me scoring 162-164V and 160-162Q. Hopefully those kinds of scores combined with a high grad school GPA will offset the overall undergrad GPA.

9 hours ago, hpolicyhopeful said:

Thank you everyone for your responses. I realize I'm in a very fortunate position (definitely expected more rejections) since the options I have can lead to very solid post-master's jobs.

@ExponentialDecay I really appreciate your thoughts. I took the GRE with minimal studying but my most recent practice tests have me scoring 162-164V and 160-162Q. Hopefully those kinds of scores combined with a high grad school GPA will offset the overall undergrad GPA.

Considering how much time you have, with deliberate practice you could easily score 166+ in the Q section. 158Q for no studying is actually pretty good.

But as it has been said many times before, it is much more important to have strong recommendations and framing your SOP as if every part of your path has led to the study of education policy. 

Cheers,