Request for review -Sop for Masters in analytics

Dear Experts

This is my first time I am writing SOP for admission in master in analytics. Please provide your valuable comments and suggestions.

Although I learned statistics during my undergraduate level, but I realized the power of analytics during my master’s thesis when I used multiple linear regression model using 4 independent variable to predict thickness of coating by CVD process. The analytics edge gave my thesis a different perspective, that helped me in understanding the research area better and resulted in getting A grade in my thesis work. Since then, I worked in domain of quality, lean six sigma, process improvement and supply chain. The analytical thought process has been instrumental in my professional success. During my work tenure, I have developed understanding of six sigma approach to improve the business process. I used statistical approach during the six sigma DMAIC project. I want to delve deeper to learn the analytics and become expert in data analytics.

During my work tenure at XX, I worked in the area of quality with emphasis on process improvement. I performed statistical analysis of inspection data and used 7 QC tools such as Control charts, histogram, and Pareto analysis to monitor and improve the quality. My inclination to analytics motivated me to learn Six Sigma, data-driven approach, through Six Sigma Black belt training program and I achieved certification from ASQ. Thereafter, at YY, I worked on Six Sigma Black Belt projects to improve quality and productivity and delivered tangible benefits to company. One of my key project reduced the non-prime generation of product due to longitudinal cracks by 20 %, resulted in saving of 55000 USD per month. I worked with a team of 5 personnel, performed CTQ drill down, and identified significant contributors, recommended and implemented improvement plan. I used statistical tools such as Hypothesis testing and Anova during the analyze and improve phase of DMAIC project. Working in six Sigma projects not only enhance my analytical skills but also develop my team skills, communication and presentation skills. I also managed the upstream supply chain activities at 4 plants starting from raw material planning, inventory management and distribution of product. My experience in supply chain inspired me to achieve APICS CPIM certification. My domain experience in quality, lean six sigma and upstream supply chain prepared me to learn new data analytics skills and blend it with six sigma approach to improve the business function.

My immediate goal after masters is to become a data scientist doing predictive analytics in E-commerce industry such as Amazon. Predicting demand is very crucial for the firms because holding inventory is expensive and stock outs are detrimental to both short term and long term objectives of the company. The accuracy in prediction will deliver large increase in operational efficiency. Ecommerce industries have now moved from simple basket analysis to the customer’s specific predictive algorithms. It seems interesting and challenging for me. Since the E- commerce industry is strategy driven and knowledge of analytics play a critical role in decision making, taking a data analytics role will provide the perfect stepping-stone to realizing my mid-term goal of strategy manager and thereafter advance to long term goal of Vice President-Strategy.

In order to fulfill such goals, my short-run objectives are to acquire the best academic tools available and combine them with the substantial business experience. I wish to say, sincerely, that in my opinion XXX program will fulfill my first short-run objective. XXX program has the qualities that best fit my expectations, objective, and background. It will complement my background of quality, lean six sigma and supply chain in developing my understanding of areas I lack experience in. When talking with ABC, a XXX alumnus and now a Senior Data scientist in YYY, I learned about the school’s rigorous academic environment and its emphasis on experimental learning which have shaped his view of the industry and his place in it.  The program offers list of courses to pursue data scientist career but courses such as customer analytics, operation analytics, applied machine learning, spreadsheet modelling, strategy & organization found interesting to me. As they will help me achieve my short term goal of predictive analytics in supply chain and midterm goal of strategy manager. The internship during the program will give the experience in the application of skills learned. Analytics events and industry experts’ lectures held by XXX will help me in expanding my network and in securing position of data scientist. I have attended the seminar on UUUU held by XXX. The seminars was very interactives and gave real industry insights. I admire the XXX mode of teaching new technology from industry experts. The more I hear and read about XXX – the more I feel I belong there.

Overall, the XXX program would not only enhance my overall education experience but also provide me a vital avenue to equip myself with intersection of everything I wish to pursue. The program would aid me to materialize my career goals and aspirations. I strongly believe that with my analytical, leadership and team working skills, I would add significant value to XXX community. With my domain expertise in quality, six sigma and supply chain, I will provide new perspective to the class.