Ohio State University

chemdoc

I'm also in and so excited (not just because it's my first admit, either)! I loved their Wooster campus and have been to Columbus before, too, which I really enjoyed. There's tons of stuff to do there.

I still need to visit some other places, but OSU really impressed me.

Are you waiting on other schools or have you made a decision?

I'm also in and so excited (not just because it's my first admit, either)! I loved their Wooster campus and have been to Columbus before, too, which I really enjoyed. There's tons of stuff to do there.

I still need to visit some other places, but OSU really impressed me.

Are you waiting on other schools or have you made a decision?

I am waiting on UMCP and Johns Hopkins. I submitted my application to UMCP on Jan 28th so I won't hear anything back from them for a couple of weeks. I submitted my JHU app on Jan 4th and I haven't heard anything so hopefully I made it to the 2nd adcomm meeting.

I'll make a decision when I hear back from everybody. Really leaning toward OSU though. Great campus, great school!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you do decide on OSU, I highly suggest investing in good boots, a winter coat, and gloves. They will keep you very happy. :)

I know I will. Hurricanes I can manage, but where I am from, 32 degrees is considered an extreme condition. I cant wait to enter the world of coats and furry hats.

My acceptance isn't official but I have had some promising exchanges with the Department to which I've applied. I have other offers but OSU has a wonderful program in my field with lots of great research opportunities and I'd guess more funding than my other prospects.

I'm researching life in Columbus now. I have two small kiddos and I have a lot to consider when I move to a new area. If anybody has any info re:family-friendly and close-to-campus neighborhoods and average childcare rates I would LOVE to hear it. As a parent, safety and reasonable cost of living factor in heavily on my decisions.

I hope I get official admit so I can really feel confident contributing to this thread!

Edited by geochic

I am also headed to Columubus and OSU for the doctoral program in History.

Encomendero, where are you from originally? I am originally from New Orleans, LA, and am very familiar with hurricanes. But I have lived up in Ann Arbor, MI, the last five years and have gotten quite acclimated to cold weather and the snow. It is not that bad though I have to admit that I am biased toward winter seasons. You just have to determine whether or not you are a layers person, and then purchase your winter gear accordingly. The great thing about living in the region is that they have plenty of places that sell apparel designed to keep you warm as can be. And Northface is always a great investment!

I am also headed to Columubus and OSU for the doctoral program in History.

Encomendero, where are you from originally? I am originally from New Orleans, LA, and am very familiar with hurricanes. But I have lived up in Ann Arbor, MI, the last five years and have gotten quite acclimated to cold weather and the snow. It is not that bad though I have to admit that I am biased toward winter seasons. You just have to determine whether or not you are a layers person, and then purchase your winter gear accordingly. The great thing about living in the region is that they have plenty of places that sell apparel designed to keep you warm as can be. And Northface is always a great investment!

I'm from the Mobile/Pensacola area. The cold is not the only thing I am worried about. Not having sweet tea or grits is going to be a problem!

I'm from the Mobile/Pensacola area. The cold is not the only thing I am worried about. Not having sweet tea or grits is going to be a problem!

There's a place called Raising Canes on High Street (and a few others in town) that has AMAZING sweet tea! And I think Bob Evans has grits...

But my general point is that Columbus is bigger and more comprehensive than it seems. Even if the culture is different, you can pretty much find anything you need if you know where to look. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending the School of Communication's doctoral program in the fall. Coming from the south, but originally from the Midwest, so it's a bit of a homecoming.

My partner will be looking for work (administrative or HR - anything non-retail) and we'll be looking for a quiet apartment close to major bus lines (Clintonville, Grandview, etc.)

I'm very excited to be joining Team Buckeye!

Yay! I'm in and I am so excited. I've been looking at rentals and reading up on the area and the program. I can't wait to start my professional education at such a nbig diverse campus (and in such an awesome program)!

• 2 weeks later...

I just accepted OSU's offer! I'm excited. I'm moving down there at the beginning of this summer. I'm pretty excited there are some really cheap places just east of campus (and the physics/chem buildings are on the east side of campus).

I'll add my name in here. I've accepted OSU's offer for the Greek and Latin MA & PhD. I'll probably be moving up in late August or early September. It feels really nice to be done with the application process!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be moving to C-Bus very shortly and starting this summer. I've already set up my email, registered for classes, and spent a lot of time poking around on Buckeylink. I figure the more of the "housekeeping" stuff I know before I start the better off I'll be.

I'll be moving to C-Bus very shortly and starting this summer. I've already set up my email, registered for classes, and spent a lot of time poking around on Buckeylink. I figure the more of the "housekeeping" stuff I know before I start the better off I'll be.

How did you register for classes? I haven't heard much about how/when to do that.

hey guys. congrats on your acceptance to THE Ohio State University. you're now officially a buckeye!

I went there for undergrad and had a great time (class of '09).

if you're interested in the food/social scene, i'd recommend bookmarking the following:

cmhgournamd- food reviews in columbus

columbusunderground- blog highlighting the local news, discussion board, reviews (has happy hour listings and CU get togethers)

tacotruckscolumbus- there is a relatively big mexican community in columbus offering great tacos, tortas, burritos, agua fresca, horchata, etc.

alt.eats.columbus- highlights non traditional columbus dining fair

Also, the short north arts district (south of campus along high street- fun restaurants, art galleries, shops, bars) has a monthly gallery hop during the first saturday of the month. All the galleries and shops are open till 10.

Explore Columbus has discounted tickets of all sorts for OSU students.

My favorite Happy hour-ish specials.

Marcella's has half off most food/drinks at the bar area from 4-6 M-F. really good sangria and pizzas

Bodega- half off all beer (50+) on tap 4-8 M-F.

Los Guachos- quite a trek to the SW side of Columbus but bogo spit roasted al pastor tacos on tuesdays (can be found on tacotruckscolumbus)

Welcome again to OSU and Columbus!!!

Edited by crossing my fingers

How did you register for classes? I haven't heard much about how/when to do that.

I don't think you can register for fall classes yet. Poke around in buckeylink; that is the best way to find things. You need an OSU username to do so. You can get one here: https://acctmgt.service.ohio-state.edu/Password.html. Also, this may help: http://www.gradsch.ohio-state.edu/Depo/PDF/New_To_Do.pdf.

Good luck!

hey guys. congrats on your acceptance to THE Ohio State University. you're now officially a buckeye!

I went there for undergrad and had a great time (class of '09).

if you're interested in the food/social scene, i'd recommend bookmarking the following:

cmhgournamd- food reviews in columbus

columbusunderground- blog highlighting the local news, discussion board, reviews (has happy hour listings and CU get togethers)

tacotruckscolumbus- there is a relatively big mexican community in columbus offering great tacos, tortas, burritos, agua fresca, horchata, etc.

alt.eats.columbus- highlights non traditional columbus dining fair

Also, the short north arts district (south of campus along high street- fun restaurants, art galleries, shops, bars) has a monthly gallery hop during the first saturday of the month. All the galleries and shops are open till 10.

Explore Columbus has discounted tickets of all sorts for OSU students.

My favorite Happy hour-ish specials.

Marcella's has half off most food/drinks at the bar area from 4-6 M-F. really good sangria and pizzas

Bodega- half off all beer (50+) on tap 4-8 M-F.

Los Guachos- quite a trek to the SW side of Columbus but bogo spit roasted al pastor tacos on tuesdays (can be found on tacotruckscolumbus)

Welcome again to OSU and Columbus!!!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use