SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

It means that there are a lot of master's applications then. Its my first time, pretty stressful.

It's because the quote above refers to the doctoral competition exclusively. The stats you've listed include doctoral, masters and post-doc awards.

Something doesn't work : "A total of 7,957 applications for master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral scholarship and fellowship support were adjudicated at SSHRC in 2010-11." (http://www.sshrc.ca/site/whatsnew-quoi_neuf/sshrc_news-nouvelles_crsh-eng.aspx) via http://twitter.com/SSHRC_CRSH

That number also includes applicants who sent their application directly to SSHRC. Not all of those applications were adjudicated in the last round.

That number also includes applicants who sent their application directly to SSHRC. Not all of those applications were adjudicated in the last round.

What do you mean?

Edit: Oh, right, you mean that the 7957 applications includes some direct-to-Ottawa applications that weren't forwarded to the second round, whereas the 930/1942 stat only refers to forwarded applications, right?

Edited by Hypatia

Thanks for clarifying! One more question for you though: did you apply for the award through your university? I'm thinking that it's possible that my awards people might not be notified since I applied on my own. I live in the US.

Yeah, I'm in western Canada. Hope that your letter flies through the postal system at inhuman speeds, waiting!

I've emailed my grad studies department in hopes that they've heard something. I'm hoping that by the time I hear from SSHRC my program will still want me.

Waiting is hard.

It's been something else watching the number of readers of this forum grow over the past few weeks. It's gone from 1 or 2 a month ago to 48 as I write this. Welcome all!

gooooood somebody say something. I am sitting here with my laptop and bowl of Honey bunches of oats hitting the refresh button... when what I should be doing is redrafting chapter three of my thesis. And I keep thinking well one more look and then back to work. Geesh.....

gooooood somebody say something. I am sitting here with my laptop and bowl of Honey bunches of oats hitting the refresh button... when what I should be doing is redrafting chapter three of my thesis. And I keep thinking well one more look and then back to work. Geesh.....

I assume most of us are living variations on that theme. The only difference for me is that my Honey Bunches are leftover sushi. Here's hoping someone hears something soon!

Yes. A bowl of masala dal on this end and comps studying.

Mail usually comes between 11am-1pm here (Toronto, High Park area). I'm not holding out for results today, but still, I checked at 11:30am. Too early. Need to wait until 12:30pm for better luck.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

I assume most of us are living variations on that theme. The only difference for me is that my Honey Bunches are leftover sushi. Here's hoping someone hears something soon!

Buttered toast and a term paper on Yeats. :)

I was awarded for 105,000 over 48 months - a funding package that does not exist. While I am excited, the prospect of being given 105,000 and then losing 25,000 of it when my letter arrives is somewhat worrisome. I would rather not know at this stage.

Yes. A bowl of masala dal on this end and comps studying.

Mail usually comes between 11am-1pm here (Toronto, High Park area). I'm not holding out for results today, but still, I checked at 11:30am. Too early. Need to wait until 12:30pm for better luck.

Canuck

Lukewarm coffee here, plus endless cigarettes.

And I'm also in Toronto, High Park area. <waving her neighbour>

My eyes are on the mailslot, heart fluttering.

(then again, what are the chances of getting it today if it was mailed out only yesterday?)

(then again, what are the chances of getting it today if it was mailed out only yesterday?)

hilarious. i'm in toronto as well -- ossington/davenport area. have already checked the mail slot 4 times today. the owner of the store i live above must think i am nuts.

We're neighbours? Awesome! U of T, I assume. What program?

And Ossie and Dav, I'm at Ossie and Bloor all the time for the Long and McQuade. I need to head down there tomorrow to grab a few more parts. It's my second home.

Edited by Canuckonomist

And Ossie and Dav, I'm at Ossie and Bloor all the time for the Long and McQuade. I need to head down there tomorrow to grab a few more parts. It's my second home.

also hilarious. i am there at least once a week.

also hilarious. i am there at least once a week.

We must pass each other all the time. I'm currently turning my Gibson Les Paul Standard (faded) into a '59 Historic. Just a few plastic parts and some caps. It's starting to look sweet. They don't have all the parts though, so I'll have to trek to Capsule music one of these days...

Montreal bagel and cream cheese here. Big thunderstorm in Montreal right now... the mailman's gonna be late ! Anyway it will arrive tomorrow while I'm out for a lab reunion.

Logicbomb, Congrats!!!

I have seen fundings of 105,000 granted last year - in th efile posted online!

Great job buddy!!

Sounds like a J.A Bombardier, but shouldn't that be over 3 years?

Congrats, Logicbomb!

Logicbomb, Congrats!!!

I have seen fundings of 105,000 granted last year - in th efile posted online!

Great job buddy!!

Yeah, but the point is that $105,000 awards are CGS or 'big' SSHRCs, which pay out over 36 months, not 48. So either the number of months or the dollar amount has to be wrong.

We must pass each other all the time. I'm currently turning my Gibson Les Paul Standard (faded) into a '59 Historic. Just a few plastic parts and some caps. It's starting to look sweet. They don't have all the parts though, so I'll have to trek to Capsule music one of these days...

Thank you for saying something. I feel so much better. Breathing and I even started working!!

Canuckonomist and bad breath this looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship :D oh ya and north star too...

Edited by homebrew

We're neighbours? Awesome! U of T, I assume. What program?

Yup, neighbours. See me waving now? ;)

Also U of T, dept of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations. I'm the one who stands outside and smokes, even when it's minus 25!

ha, I also visit the Ossie and Bloor area all the time, but not for Long and McQuade! laugh.gif

I'm supposed to work now - have one more paper - but I just can't seen to focus. A few more days of this wait, and I'll consider developing a drinking problem. ;)