SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

I've just spent 200$ at the restaurant with my wife. Totally worth it.

Congrats Jen. YAY.

Had a lot of wine, g'night !

Thanks alau! Sounds like you had a lovely evening.

I'm planning on celebrating next week! Can't wait!

Compoe, I'm admire your ability to work! I spent the morning completely stressed out over not knowing and then the afternoon too high on adrenaline to be able to concentrate on anything. I will probably regret that over the next few days as a scramble to get everything done.

Congratulations JenMR, Ludwig, and all of you successful SSHRC winners! Very exciting...well done! (Jen, I'm glad you were able to find out your results without accosting any postal workers!)

Just spoke with a program officer at SSHRC and found out that I'm on the waiting list. No biggie - this was a long-shot, as I was a visiting undergrad student at an out-of-province university and found out that I could apply for SSHRC through my home university five days before the deadline. I'll view this as my practice round and try again next year once I'm actually in my MA program. (And I did win an Ontario Graduate Scholarship, so all is not lost!)

Thanks, fellow bloggers - this is a wonderful and very supportive site and I look forward to being here again next year.

Enjoy your summers!

Compoe, I'm admire your ability to work! I spent the morning completely stressed out over not knowing and then the afternoon too high on adrenaline to be able to concentrate on anything. I will probably regret that over the next few days as a scramble to get everything done.

One is capable of great things.... When one's deadline has already been twice extended and you fear for your future career prospects.

*adjusts collar* Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Got my confirmation letter in Edmonton today! Woohoo! The waiting is over!

Bloody great... VAMPIRE composers. Guess I have to change my gimmick, now.

Bloody great... VAMPIRE composers. Guess I have to change my gimmick, now.

Hi All,

Just wondering about the 17.5 K of the MA SSHRC. How is it paid out? Do you have to still be enrolled as a student for another 12 months in order to get the full 17, 500? For example, if one gets SSHRC and is graduating from the MA program in say the fall 2010, do you only get paid the SSHRC money ('paycheck') until the fall? So technically then you don't really get the full scholarship. Would be nice to get out the 17, 500 k because I want to graduate as quickly as I can and use the remaining money for a PhD.

Wow, linggirl, kudos to you for pulling off no small feat in such a short period of time and for making it on the waiting list. I only know of one person who applied as an undergrad and he was an amazing student and didn't end up making it past the university's selection committee. So, even though you may not get the funding, congratulations on making it as far as you did!

Compoe, don't I know that feeling well! Extensions are the only thing that got me through all of my papers this past semester!

Congratulations to everyone who found out today that they've been successful!

On 5/26/2010 at 12:24 PM, SkimLatte said:

Hi All,

Just wondering about the 17.5 K of the MA SSHRC. How is it paid out? Do you have to still be enrolled as a student for another 12 months in order to get the full 17, 500? For example, if one gets SSHRC and is graduating from the MA program in say the fall 2010, do you only get paid the SSHRC money ('paycheck') until the fall? So technically then you don't really get the full scholarship. Would be nice to get out the 17, 500 k because I want to graduate as quickly as I can and use the remaining money for a PhD.

At UVic, I think we're getting bi-weekly payments. The SSHRC website says that it might be different for each university, according to their protocol.

I think it is possible to use your remaining money toward your PhD. It might depend on where you want to go though. The website has a lengthy write-up about regulations around your funding (the link should take you directly to those regulations). I think it has what you need to know about transferring the money over to another degree.

The university decides.

At Université de Montreal, it is every 1st day of the month.

I know that sshrc gives them money twice in the year. SSHRC is pretty clear about that : accepting that your university manages the distribution is an absolute obligation.

I've been an anonymous lurker on here for weeks / months, but I came out of hiding becuase you have to share good news! Heard from my scholarship officer today that my application was successful!

Hi All,

Be very careful about this. Ask your school. My school makes three payments (Sept, Jan, May). I chose to start in Sept and because I wasn't registered for the following summer (planned to graduate in May) I nearly lost the third payment. I had to extend my registration and defer my graduation. I was lucky - my school was really nice about this and very accommodating and understanding - they had been extremely unclear about it when I received the award initially.

There is some kind of "rollover" into a phd rule but I know that because my registration would have been suspended (because I would have graduated and had a "gap" summer) I would not have been eligible for it.

I heard from the Grad Studies office this morning via email, then got the letter in the mail today in Montreal.

Postive. Yeah. And, thank god.

Thanks to all you out there who demonstrated I was not the only crazy one!

Finally got my letter today!

Good luck to everyone waiting and, again, congratulations to those who know.

Best wishes to everyone with their research!

hi guys, found out today too, and, yay, I got it too. thanks for being here, see you next time!

For those who are waiting to hear about if you move up the waitlist for Doctoral SSHRC, here's the response I received when asking about it...

There will be a lot of

movement on the lists over the next couple of weeks. SSHRC will contact

you by email or mail if an award becomes available.

Email?! SSHRC?! That'll be a surprise!

- Good luck to the rest of those who were waitlisted!

On 5/28/2010 at 11:36 AM, sshrchopeful said:

Email?! SSHRC?! That'll be a surprise!

- Good luck to the rest of those who were waitlisted!

Doesn't surprise me when it comes to moving on the waitlists. I imagine they'll want to wrap things up quicker, now that everything is said and done, and there is no adjudication left to be done -it's purely administrative from here on in. Of course, most of that is wishful-economist-thinking, imagining that now that the uncertainties in the process are sorted out, that the rest of the process will be efficient.

Doesn't surprise me when it comes to moving on the waitlists. I imagine they'll want to wrap things up quicker, now that everything is said and done, and there is no adjudication left to be done -it's purely administrative from here on in. Of course, most of that is wishful-economist-thinking, imagining that now that the uncertainties in the process are sorted out, that the rest of the process will be efficient.

I like that thinking! Makes sense to me. There's also no privacy issue now, and no need to get all of the results out in one big shot. Should be easier.

Of course, when I saw that Canuckonomist had the last post on this thread, I had a little flutter of hope that things had already started moving. Good luck, waiting folk!

Our forum use contradicts the system theories: the more there's information, less entropy there is. In here the more info you get, the more chaotic you feel!

sounds like the beginning of a PHD thesis project....?!

sounds like the beginning of a PHD thesis project....?!

Does anyone know if for the J.A. Bombardier MA SSHRC when the payments start? The notice of award did say payments start in MAY 1, 2010 for 12 months, but obviously that has passed. Will we get May's portion in June, or is May's payment skipped? Any clue on the mechanics of this award?

Does anyone know if for the J.A. Bombardier MA SSHRC when the payments start? The notice of award did say payments start in MAY 1, 2010 for 12 months, but obviously that has passed. Will we get May's portion in June, or is May's payment skipped? Any clue on the mechanics of this award?

You'll get your money for May obviously. Depending on how your university works you may get the whole summer at once... i dunno. Get in touch with your faculty: no need to speculate on your file, just get the information from the right source.